Why become a member? ×

Two x 15 inches of loveliness!

MoJoKe

OK, so against the tide of wider opinion in favour of 10's or 12's I have been using my CDM151p 15" combo for over 4 years and loving it.

However, by way of a compromise to the pressure of opinion at that time, for larger gigs I paired it with a Standard 104HR cab. This gave me a tighter, bigger, but quite sharp sound, which I've never been deliriously happy with...

So, I also have a slight transport issue at the moment, [i]and[/i] I am looking for a lighter, more compact setup, [i]aaannddd[/i] as I have just joined a 60s band I decided I would try and get hold of the New York 151 cab which was designed to go with my combo, and via a three way deal here, I have just achieved this.

[attachment=133480:New Cab.jpg]

The cab arrived this afternoon... Why the hell I didn't do this four years ago I have absolutely no idea, because as a 2 x 15 rig it sounds absolutely bloody lovely! Full, fat, tone, moves loads of air and is very loud, without changing the character of the tone of the combo on its own, but making it louder and even more lovely! Best of all, both cabs fit side by side on the back seat of the car, and I can carry one in each hand at last!

Anyone near Taunton considering Markbass gear wanting to try it out is very welcome.

That is all!

Edited by MoJoKe

yeah, know what you mean! Largely I don't "need" to, but a. do a few bigger venues and b. its nice to have the combo off the ground and more on "ear" line if you know what I mean! I often took my 104 cab and didn't plug in, just to raise the height!

well,i have to agree MoJoKe....i like 15s,and with the latest technology you get good mids along with a
nice fat bottom.....Oooo matron...i think the compact enclosure sounds better to my lugs...
plus..the 500w markbass amp is a cracker......very nice potent rig.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1366983538' post='2059879']
Yeah baby!

[/quote]

Nice to see this rig, heard you say great things about it here! This sort of proves my point as I had the opportunity to try the TTE head out at the LBGS in a 12" and a 104 cab, and in my opinion it sounded horrible! However, through NY15's it sounds sweet and full. I think its has lots to do with the size of the enclosures as ebenezer says!

I've gone through a shedload of amps in my 35 odd years of playing, and prior to my current setup, my favourite rig was a Kustom 250 head (a black "quilted" one) into a Fender 2 x 15 cab. It sounded 'effin awesome, but weighed a ton, and eventually shook itself to pieces!

Who else has shunned smaller speakers? You're forgiven if its not MB! There seems to lots of love out there for the Barefaced cabs, but you must have 2 x 15....

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you have joined the club MoJoKe. I have always used 15s in a bass rig, I always find I miss the bottom end with any other setup. I upgraded last year to a Markbass 152 with LMIII and love the sound! Also the looks I get when I carry it in alone are pretty funny.

Now I just need to finish the pedalboard off and I am in rig heaven.

Here is last weeks setup, with my new Alpher 5 string.

[quote name='StephenYork' timestamp='1368261058' post='2074960']
I upgraded last year to a Markbass 152 with LMIII and love the sound! Also the looks I get when I carry it in alone are pretty funny.
[/quote]

Its a shame that MarkBass discontinued the 152 along with quite a few of the "interesting" combinations (like the 106's and the club cabinets), which lots of other manufacturers have also had go at too now, but have settled on a smaller range of the single or two speaker options. They were just not selling enough to support it. If you look at the Bergantino and Vanderkley options they've pretty much gone the same way, but in their case not a 15" to be seen anywhere....

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1367056340' post='2060698']
There seems to lots of love out there for the Barefaced cabs, but you must have 2 x 15....
[/quote]

Yep! I love my Vintage to bits. A big, loud 2x15 that I can carry in one hand. What's not to like? :)

Love the MB rig - this was my dream rig for a while, but for a couple of complicated reasons I just couldn't get it together.

The 2x15 rig I ended up with is even smaller - a one-hand carry, but a little low to the floor sometimes:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:113954]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1368794219' post='2081590']
[url="http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Incarante/media/DSCF1467.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Which rig are we looking at - the one in the background or the one on the stool? :D

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1368787695' post='2081448']
I like that triple bass stand..
[/quote]

Hercules thingy. Don't use all three very often, but it was a wedding gig and I needed the acoustic bass for a Irish unplugged-ish set which had been requested. Normally the guitarist uses the third one, or for comedy value, we hang the mandolin off it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1368809363' post='2081880']
Ones a guitar rig, just happen to play bass into it. Also, Barefaced 1 kinda spoiled my urge to lug about a 4x12.
[/quote]

Fair enough, you're in!

I know what you mean. Our guitarist slavishly lugs around a ridiculously heavy Fender (or might be Marshall!) 2 x 12 combo, which I can barely lift. He believes its the only way to get an authentic 60's sound (its what I do nowadays!), but I'm sure there must be a lighter solution for him to save his back, like swapping the speakers for neo's for starters...?

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1368813349' post='2081938']
Fair enough, you're in!

I know what you mean. Our guitarist slavishly lugs around a ridiculously heavy Fender (or might be Marshall!) 2 x 12 combo, which I can barely lift. He believes its the only way to get an authentic 60's sound (its what I do nowadays!), but I'm sure there must be a lighter solution for him to save his back, like swapping the speakers for neo's for starters...?
[/quote]

Head and a 2x12 cab made a bit more sensibly. Neo guitar speakers are a bit unknown, exist, but never heard them, or reliable reviews thereof.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

2 x 15 Barefaced Dubster - adequate, it gets the concrete floor moving in the hall we use for rehearsal. I have a second 700W backup head and am feeling the need for a second cab, is it needed?. Mr Foxen I have not forgotten the cloth :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

Edited by 3below

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1368785118' post='2081402']

Its a shame that MarkBass discontinued the 152 along with quite a few of the "interesting" combinations (like the 106's and the club cabinets), which lots of other manufacturers have also had go at too now, but have settled on a smaller range of the single or two speaker options. They were just not selling enough to support it. If you look at the Bergantino and Vanderkley options they've pretty much gone the same way, but in their case not a 15" to be seen anywhere....
[/quote]

It is a shame, I would love to run both the 152 and the 106 but I just can't find one around. Also Mark heads only go to 4ohms :(

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1368785453' post='2081409']
I have 2x15...

[URL=http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Dandelion_06/media/20121028_003245-1-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa90/Dandelion_06/20121028_003245-1-1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]
And a bad back!