Why become a member? ×

Simple practice amp

lojo

I don't like over using my main gigging amp at home, even if it has headphones/aux for practice, so after moving house and losing my music room , I've gone through all kinds of apps to use for practice (learning covers mainly), everyone of them has it's issues, and mainly it's having to load the songs in, you can't just use YouTube etc.

So , I think I should just go for a traditional , small , practice amp , aux in , headphones out etc

Is the Ampeg BA 108 any good, I don't need it for anything other than low vol or headphone jam along?

I always play on headphones at home as any amplification wakes the kids, so I run my bass into a small mixer via a Sansamp BDDI as an amp sim and then add either my phone for YouTube or my CD player through a mini-jack to phono cable and take a headphone out, works really well.

i use a trace boxer 65 for this - has headphone output - its big enough for small/acoustic gigs (no DI out though) - there was a smaller 35(?) version iirc - you can usually pick one up really cheap somewhere - i got mine from evilbay a couple years ago for 65 quid :D

I like this FX box: Digitech Genesis - I have 2 x Genesis 1's and a Genesis 3.

These are modellers and also allow you to plug an input (PC, iPod etc) and accepts earphones.

I connect the output of the PC, plug the bass & earphones into the FX box & play along with the music totally silently.

You can pick up Genesis 1's pretty cheap on Ebay & I think they are a great wee box - uses knobs, not menu lists.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

The best little combo I have ever heard and had the pleasure to play through was the EBS Session 60. They also make a Session 30 now which I haven't played, but the 60 is incredible, i couldn't believe the sound when I put a precision through one. Its got all the aux input and headphone out etc and if you ever want to do an acoustic gig it will more than easily keep up with some light percussion and some acoustics.

If I ever need a combo this is what I will get. For practicing I am about to get an Apogee interface to go into Garage Band on my laptop and then use it to play along with youtube, iTunes and spottily. As far as I know you don't need to drag songs is to the software or anything like that.

I use a tiny Ashdown Tourbus 10. It is excellent for using headphones and has mini jack aux in for plugging in an ipod, whatever. I highly recommend it.
Otherwise you could look out for a 2nd-hand Line 6 110. It is a 12" cube with a few amp models to choose from and loud enough for a quite band practice if drummer uses brushsticks. In fact there's one on ebay right now.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1366493811' post='2053287']
I swear by my Roland bass cube for home use but I don't think it has an aux input.....so my post is probably useless...doh!
[/quote]

Boss bass micro cube rx combo has an aux in.
Thats the titchy tiny one with the 4 x 4inch speakers. Cool piece of kit, mine's been bombproof.
Cheers,
Norm

Personally I've gone off of amps altogether when I'm not playing music with other people. For home purposes I just plug into my Focusrite interface, shove some headphones on, and load up Amplitube. Can get pretty much any sort of tone you'd like, takes up less space, sounds better/clearer (in my experience) and doesn't annoy the neighbors.