Why become a member? ×

Mexican Fenders

BandGeekBarclay

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1365587364' post='2041330']
An individual Mexican made Fender will be either good or bad, just as one made anywhere else will be either good or bad. When considering a single instrument only you can decide, and only your opinion is important. Now there may be an element of truth to generic comments thrown around about materials, attention to detail and thoroughness of QC etc. when considering the entire output of a factory over a period of time, but when one is buying a single bass then it really is completely irrelevant. The bass you are going to try/buy is either good or it isn't. End of. I wouldn't get hung up on country of origin. There will be stonkingly amazing Mexican Fenders and absolute dogs of USA Fenders.
[/quote]

Bang on,
luck of the draw and thats all there is to it,
if you go into a shop and try 4 out and you pick what you think is the best, who is to say that 10 mins befor you
another chap has just walked out with the 5th one which was the best one at that time,
and who is to say 10 mins befor him,,,, bla bla bla
the two worst basses i have had one was a highway one jazz (usa, dead spots on half the g string and a very low vol dead E string, this was so bad i did not want to sell it on here!) and one was a 70s stock jazz, (usa, neck just warped with with the weather changes and sound was not that good)
out of all my jazz basses the best 2 are a mex stock 4 string, and a jap fotoflame 4 string,
both of them (to me) are better than any usa ones i have tried.

Edited by funkgod

I've only ever owned one Mexican Fender, a Jazz that I bought untried It was a mid 80's job and a dog... I swapped in some USA pups which didn't really help.. seemed to have no resonance and most of the strings buzzed or rattled no matter how high the action was. I know there are some good Mexican models like the Roadworns, Geddys and Classic series, but mine was a real pos.
I'd definitely need to try one before I'd buy Mexican again. I guess the guy that sold me it knew it was crap and kind of my fault as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of sending it back.
You live and learn.

They're generally made to a good standard and there's some belters among them. I've heard some glorious sounds come from a Classic 70's Jazz and my MIM '72 Telecaster Deluxe has become my go-to guitar, just feels brilliant in my hands.

Definitely nothing wrong with them, and while some are more impressive than others I've never played one that wad truly rubbish!

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1365846955' post='2045120']
Definitely nothing wrong with them, and while some are more impressive than others I've never played one that wad truly rubbish!
[/quote]

You've been very fortunate then. I've hardly played a decent one. I must be unlucky, I guess.

I think Andy Travis' advice was excellent BTW.

I've used Fender Am. Std. basses for years, and a few MIM basses. I honestly couldn't tell the two apart, other than the bridges, and rolled edges of the fretboards, and fret edges a bit rounded on the Am. Std.'s. My current bass is a MIM Pawn Shop Mustang bass, that has a two piece Alder body with a decent looking grain in it. It's well finished all over, and sounds great. It's basically a 30" short scale Jazz neck, with a single Humbucking pickup on it, and strings through the body. $800. As compared to $1,350. I did buy a Fender Mustang hardshell case. $150. So actually $950. for the Mustang. I like it a lot better than the Gibson SG Std. The Mustang is more balanced than the SG Std, without the Neck Dive of Death so common on the SG Std. $900. - $1,400. For Gibson SG Std. basses, depending on the finishes.

[URL=http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/roadrex/media/DSC_2614.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/roadrex/DSC_2614.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/roadrex/media/DSC_2617.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/roadrex/DSC_2617.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I've had a set of standard Mex pickups in my Jazz which were totally underwhelming and a set of vintage alnico pickups from a roadworn Jazz which were fantastic. So the answer is probably that they can be great but you get what you pay for. Just like everything else.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1366222778' post='2049880']

If you can afford a USA bass, demo both side by side; if the USA one is 'better' in your mind then you've bought within budget for what's right for you - if you prefer the Mexican bass, you've saved yourself £500 ish and come in under budget.
and made in California anyway and sent to Mexico for assembly in the bass? [/quote]

This only works if you're blindfolded or otherwise kept unaware of which is which.

I managed to get my MIM fender before the price hikes quite a while back, 60th Anniversary Model (brand new at £350). Immediately swapped out the pickups and bridge for 1/4lbs and BAII. Been a good solid bass to me for many years. I've just recently started playing it more often so it's now in Sheffield with Mr Shuker getting a custom neck made for it.

Once the necks on it, it'll still have worked out cheaper than a new MIA :lol: