Why become a member? ×

Nitro finished fenders

Geek99

The Highway ones are nitro. You can usually pick one up for about £450 secondhand. Made in USA (supposedly).

Link to specs [url="http://www.proaudioland.com/fender-highway-one-precision-bass-5302.html"]http://www.proaudiol...-bass-5302.html[/url]

Edited by gjones

I don`t think the 50` is nitro. I think the Nate Mendel is nitro? Or you could look out for a 2nd hand Highway 1.

Just checked, the NM is [color=#333333][font=open_sansregular, sans-serif]Nitrocellulose Lacquer. I reckon if you want to go new, that is the cheapest option.[/font][/color]

Edited by jezzaboy

I 2nd the Highway 1 models. I've got a HW1 Strat and Jazz. They are American but given a paint finish in Mexico (the road adjoining is called highway 1). They're discontinued now but you can pick them up for under £500. Really well made instruments with greasebucket circuits, nice colour options and a nice thin finish that wears down beautifully

A bit off topic, but didn't Fender change the specs slightly when they changed from Highway One to Highway 1? Anyone know what the changes were? I know the badass got a look in a some point, and there was a change in logo (and maybe headstock shape?) but were there any other differences - do know they were both nitro though. Google is terribly helpful even of you put 'Highway One' and 'Highway 1' in quotation marks and people seem to use the term interchangeably anyway.

During the debate on Talkbass about what is actually different about the latest American Vintage basses compared with the previous AVRIs to justify the significant price change - surely not just a re-run of sonic blue and semolina red paint etc etc - so I asked exactly this question - are the new ones nitro and the old ones not...........I was told the AVRIs (except for the 75 Jazz bass) have been nitro since the 80s.

So I'm now confused!!

There is also a new Classic MIM series, and I think they have nitro finishes as well.

I have heard it said that these re-issue nitro finished basses sustain significant finish damage with the slightest ding........now I'm a very careful person with guitars (put them in a case when there's the slightest hint of a drummer unscrewing or moving metalwork) but all my basses have sustained the odd ding or two - it seems impossible to avoid if you're performing with them - I'm just wondering whether I'd actually have any finish to gradually age with these basses!!!

Edited by drTStingray

I've seen a rumour on talkbass about the MIM Classic '50s P being finished in nitro from now on (with a *new* price, which can only mean one thing). Also, supposedly it will only be available in black (?)
Apparently some user there was told all that by a well informed Fender rep.

[quote name='such' timestamp='1365387518' post='2038917']
I've seen a rumour on talkbass about the MIM Classic '50s P being finished in nitro from now on (with a *new* price, which can only mean one thing). Also, supposedly it will only be available in black (?)
Apparently some user there was told all that by a well informed Fender rep.
[/quote]

Isn't that just the new '63 American Vintage Precision model? ;)

You asked for a lowish cost one... This isn't perfect, but it's lowish cost, or could be: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251256504208?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251256504208?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649[/url]

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1365112303' post='2035636']
During the debate on Talkbass about what is actually different about the latest American Vintage basses compared with the previous AVRIs to justify the significant price change - surely not just a re-run of sonic blue and semolina red paint etc etc - so I asked exactly this question - are the new ones nitro and the old ones not...........I was told the AVRIs (except for the 75 Jazz bass) have been nitro since the 80s.

So I'm now confused!!
[/quote]

AFAIK all of the AVRI series have always been nitro - certainly the early 90's '57RI strat I had was.

I believe the latest AVRI models have a somewhat more authentic/vintage correct finishing process (read an article in Guitarist a while back, December 2012, has quite a bit of info on what they changed), resulting in a supposedly thinner and more vintage-correct finish

I think previously they sometimes used a poly sealer coat with nitro over the top (mostly defeating the purpose of a nitro finish IMHO), wheras now I think they've switched to using a finishing process closer to what the custom-shop do.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1365390092' post='2038920']
Isn't that just the new '63 American Vintage Precision model? ;)
[/quote]

No :) basically seems like it will be an un-roadworn RoadWorn, which is pretty cool if the pricepoint isn't too steep. Reasonably priced Mendel sig allows some hope ;) I hope they come up with more colours and do the same thing to the '60s and '70s Jazzes...

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1365403242' post='2038949']
You asked for a lowish cost one... This isn't perfect, but it's lowish cost, or could be: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251256504208?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251256504208?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649[/url]
[/quote]
Thanks but I was really after sunburst

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1365106490' post='2035527']
A bit off topic, but didn't Fender change the specs slightly when they changed from Highway One to Highway 1? Anyone know what the changes were? I know the badass got a look in a some point, and there was a change in logo (and maybe headstock shape?) but were there any other differences - do know they were both nitro though. Google is terribly helpful even of you put 'Highway One' and 'Highway 1' in quotation marks and people seem to use the term interchangeably anyway.
[/quote]

HIghway 1 :- Poly finish. BBOT Bridge. Standard skunk neck. not sure about decal styling. Mexican style tuners

Highway One :- Bad Ass II Bridge. Nitro finish. Posiflex graphite neck. 70's decal styling. Mexican style tuners.

Pickups are apparentley a US Vintage Pickup made specifically for the Highway series.