Why become a member? ×

THIS is what I consider Musical Bass Playing

Lowender

We've all seen the chops and the speed and gymnastics. And then there are those who claim a bass should stick to the role of playing bass.

And then there's this.

A couple of examples of musical creative bass playing that suite the instrument perfectly. And both instances where the instrumentation is very bare.

An inventive use of the bass taking on the role of string quartet.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2E-F5sToKU[/media]

And I don't even like this song but love what these guys did with it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8QPXKUOYTk[/media]

Edited by Lowender

I don't want to be contrary for the sake of it , but I'm not keen on either of those two pieces . The first one , I think it's fair to say its' reach outstrips it's grasp in terms of execution , and the second one is well performed but bland , to my sensibilities at least . .

I didn't like the first one at all, but the second I liked, nice voice, nice playing, liked what the bass guitar played, for some reason people seem to forget that the bass is a bass GUITAR, yes it needs to be used in a different manner and its "voice" maybe different but it can still be used, and I for one like it when it is, like vid 2, cheers for sharing.

I always like to hear new ideas, thanks for these. The first is based on the'cello line. The original was a very musical accompaniment written by the fabulously skilled George Martin. I'm not sure whether this performance adds to the original nor is particularly creative.

The second is very nice, but, as has been mentioned, may be better played on a guitar. It appears to be a vehicle for this style of playing rather than the most appropriate way of playing that song.

I suppose this sounds a little dismissive, it isn't intended to be, but my own opinion is that it feels a little like a bass player feeling resentful of being considered as an accompanying player only. Fair enough, while there is huge skill required to do this well and can will raise goose bumps n those who aspire to this skill, you don't have to go far to find creative bass playing (Jaco for an easy start).

Fair enough that you like them!

The first video made me so upset that I had to stop 22 seconds in, almost immediately I had to put on the original record to remind myself why no one should ever try to tap it out on a bass and why it is such a brilliant standalone Macca track (can't improve on a masterpiece, just IMO).

The second I was pretty indifferent to, fair enough if people like it, it wasn't offensive but it is times like that I would personally reach for a guitar as I don't bass fills the role even half as well.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1364743507' post='2030279']
We've all seen the chops and the speed and gymnastics. And then there are those who claim a bass should stick to the role of playing bass.

And then there's this.

A couple of examples of musical creative bass playing that suite the instrument perfectly. And both instances where the instrumentation is very bare.

An inventive use of the bass taking on the role of string quartet.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2E-F5sToKU[/media]

And I don't even like this song but love what these guys did with it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8QPXKUOYTk[/media]
[/quote]

Doesn't do it for me. Like Count Bassy said, it sounds like he's playing a guitar part on a bass.

Playing a bass like a guitar is just wrong to me. Also playing it like a solo instrument i don't like.

Re: The second one, I find it odd that people are criticizing it because he's playing it like a guitar, what's wrong with that? "He might as well be playing a guitar" is an entirely non-existent point, if it's so similar to playing on a guitar as to be indistinguishable, then why would a guitar be preferable? I just don't get why we bassists as a general collective seem so keen to lock ourselves in a box and limit ourselves to an extremely small range of styles and playing techniques. The bass guitar is a piece of wood, a variable number of metal wires, a couple of magnets and some electronics. I see absolutely no reason why one method of playing it should be more "valid" than any other.

Edited by bobbass4k

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1364752604' post='2030437']
Re: The second one, I find it odd that people are criticizing it because he's playing it like a guitar, what's wrong with that? "He might as well be playing a guitar" is an entirely non-existent point, if it's so similar to playing on a guitar as to be indistinguishable, then why would a guitar be preferable? I just don't get why we bassists as a general collective seem so keen to lock ourselves in a box and limit ourselves to an extremely small range of styles and playing techniques. The bass guitar is a piece of wood, a variable number of metal wires, a couple of magnets and some electronics. I so no reason that one method of playing it should be more "valid" than any other.
[/quote]

If I considered that a bass guitar could do a better job than a guitar re: the second video then I would agree, but I don't. The tone is out, the instrument is voiced in a way that doesn't lend itself as a strong accompaniment to the voice, and I think in reality a guitar or piano could do an infinitely better job and lend a lot more to the song.

That's my own opinion, it is likely not shared by some others round here (this is a bass forum after all, some people will be into it) but I think the bass is more novelty used like it is in the video.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1364746723' post='2030336']
I don't want to be contrary for the sake of it , but I'm not keen on either of those two pieces . The first one , I think it's fair to say its' reach outstrips it's grasp in terms of execution , and the second one is well performed but bland , to my sensibilities at least . .
[/quote]
Yeah I'm afraid I completely agree. The first is pretty ugly as a composition and clumsily performed. The second is because there was no piano available.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1364753372' post='2030452']
Yeah I'm afraid I completely agree. The first is pretty ugly as a composition and clumsily performed. The second is because there was no piano available.
[/quote]
this.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1364752604' post='2030437']
Re: The second one, I find it odd that people are criticizing it because he's playing it like a guitar, what's wrong with that? "He might as well be playing a guitar" is an entirely non-existent point, if it's so similar to playing on a guitar as to be indistinguishable, then why would a guitar be preferable? I just don't get why we bassists as a general collective seem so keen to lock ourselves in a box and limit ourselves to an extremely small range of styles and playing techniques. The bass guitar is a piece of wood, a variable number of metal wires, a couple of magnets and some electronics. I see absolutely no reason why one method of playing it should be more "valid" than any other.
[/quote]
Because a bass sounds rancid when it's played like that. The timbre is just butt ugly. All the focus is on the skills of the player, the actual music becomes secondary. If you hear that on a guitar or piano, it will simply sound ordinary, if you do it on a bass people go wow! innit clever! There's only one BC member I've ever seen who can make that sort of playing sound pretty and emotional and that's Kevin Glasgow.

Edited by xilddx

Each to their own, and I respect everyones opinion as its personal to them, but both of these pieces are far removed from what I consider a bass should be doing. Just my opinion of course, and no criticism intended, variety being the spice of life etc.

I did think the guy in the second vid's face looked like his colleague was farting on a fairly regular basis though..........