Why become a member? ×

THIS is what I consider Musical Bass Playing

Lowender

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1364765142' post='2030722']
I was told this in all seriousness by a friend who studied jazz at a music college. He wasn't taking the piss, he was teaching a group of us some improv techniques.
[/quote]really interested in the nuts nd bolts of your talk that you had. Can you expand?

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1364772881' post='2030827']
really interested in the nuts nd bolts of your talk that you had. Can you expand?
[/quote]

Ok, well we had just finished an improv, and there were obvious mistakes, none of us are pro players, and he said, among other things "Really well respected jazz players, when they make a mistake, they just repeat it and make it look like they meant to do it". That's it.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1364774417' post='2030833']
Ok, well we had just finished an improv, and there were obvious mistakes, none of us are pro players, and he said, among other things "Really well respected jazz players, when they make a mistake, they just repeat it and make it look like they meant to do it". That's it.
[/quote]That's such a an over used cliche. Tho i have seen Steve Vai do it. But to say that all jazz is and define Jazz like that kinda defines ignorance.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1364763316' post='2030690']
Going rather off the original subject here, but as I mentioned Jaco earlier, if you're doubling up with the likes of Joe Zawinal and Wayne Shorter you do not have any space for mistakes. These guys absolutely know their stuff and there are no short cuts to being able to play like this. You'll notice how the bass and keys are doubling with what may to some sound like random notes.
[media]http://youtu.be/I63bOi477cA[/media]

I've played with a couple of jazz players, did this morning with this chap: [url="http://www.andrewnoble.org/default.html"]http://www.andrewnob...rg/default.html[/url] He's a phenomenal musician and there's absolutely nothing that goes unintentionally. I certainly can't keep with him.
[/quote]
Bloomin' marvellous :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1364770354' post='2030798']
Splitting hairs I know, I can only see five strings.
[/quote]

Yes , you're right . I was watching on a little tablet , and it looked and sounded like a six . He is fact using a five with a high C .

I don't have a problem with the bass guitar being used to fulfil any given role, as long as the musician using it is capable then it can be a very expressive instrument.

Solo bass guitar, why not ? What's the difference between that and solo trombone ?

It's a very versatile instrument, and its capabilities are limited only by the person playing it, oh and by the listener not being a small minded dick who doesn't see the possibilities.

Gotta say I don't like the first track, simply cos of the guitar !

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1364835624' post='2031481']
"walking jazz bass lines..any old shi*e played with a straight face." Im sure i read that in a bass magazine once?
[/quote]

What's the magazine, just so I can avoid buying it :D.

Analyse a walking bass line played by someone like La Faro or Chambers, or any number of amazing players, and you'll see that it isn't [i]any old shi*e played with a straight face [/i][i] :D.[/i]

Edited by ambient

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1364835624' post='2031481']
"walking jazz bass lines..any old shi*e played with a straight face." Im sure i read that in a bass magazine once?
[/quote]

There's the problem, it should be played with a dotted eigth face... <_<

Check out the above post, bottom line. :)

Garry