Why become a member? ×

Multitasking while playing

danthevan

Am I in a minority, or can any of you not do anything else whilst playing?
What I mean is singing, talking etc?
Even on the simplest of simple songs which I don't need to concentrate on, if someone asks me something it's either play the bassline, or stop to talk!
The limit for me is shouting out chords to the rhythm guitarist who forgets with great regularity what's coming next!

If someone asks me a question, I have no problem replying while playing, provided it is brief.

However,there should be no need for talk within the band, once a song commences. There are subtle ways to communicate like eye contact and nods of the head etc.

As for your rhythm guitarist, get him to write out the song structures, and keep them beside him. It is up to each person to play (literally) their part.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1364482715' post='2027095']

As for your rhythm guitarist, get him to write out the song structures, and keep them beside him. It is up to each person to play (literally) their part.
[/quote]

It's mainly on one song. He's been playing it for 3 years, I've been with them a year and im shouting out the chords in the solo to him. 5 different chords, 4 then 4, same as a verse, but every gig he looks at me as if it's the first time we've ever played it!

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1364482715' post='2027095']

However,there should be no need for talk within the band, once a song commences. There are subtle ways to communicate like eye contact and nods of the head etc.

[/quote]

It's not musically related chat, it's more "Look at the t*t's on that" sort of thing. Yes or no answers i can do, just.......... !

During a gig and in a single song I seem to be able to manage the following.
Wondering whether I locked the back door at home, rough backing vocals, checking the clock to see if we can fit all the set in, glancing at the set list to see what's next, watching the door to make sure someone's on it and not letting in anyone for free, catching the guitarists eye to see when we're ready to go into that half time thing and remembering to get some milk from the petrol station on the way home. Then I wonder why I ****ed up that half time bit that we'd decided we'd drop last week.

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1364482919' post='2027097']
It's mainly on one song. He's been playing it for 3 years, I've been with them a year and im shouting out the chords in the solo to him. 5 different chords, 4 then 4, same as a verse, but every gig he looks at me as if it's the first time we've ever played it!
[/quote]

There is always one song that trips us up. All the more reason for him to write out the structure and have it close by, for reference.

It is not fair for him to be relying on you to tell him each time. Once or twice...maybe, but no more.

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1364483024' post='2027098']
It's not musically related chat, it's more "Look at the t*t's on that" sort of thing. Yes or no answers i can do, just.......... !
[/quote]

If people cant remember the chord structure of a song, but have the time to look, ask and comment on female members of the audience, then they need to decide what should take priority. ;)

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1364483521' post='2027109']
If people cant remember the chord structure of a song, but have the time to look, ask and comment on female members of the audience, then they need to decide what should take priority. ;)
[/quote]
Different band member, but fair point!

Interesting.... I'm firmly with the OP, in that I can play bass, or do something else, but I can't play the instrument [i]and [/i]do anything else at the same time. For example, I can't sing, but even if I could, I wouldn't be able to play and sing at the same time. It was the same when I was a very young teenager taking piano lessons. The tutor would talk to me about my playing [i]while [/i]I was playing, and if I had to answer her I'd have to stop. There must be something in the mind which some of us can't separate....

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1364484500' post='2027128']
Different band member, but fair point!
[/quote]

IMO, casual, unnecessary talk can and should be left until between songs or the interval.

All other music related communication can be done as I suggested earlier.

The situation "andyonbass" mentions, can be both awkward and annoying. :angry:

Its weird because on bass I cant do anything else. I cant sing, I cant talk, I cant make any gestures. On guitar though I can sing and talk over chord changes no bother. I have no idea why. Perhaps because I've been playing guitar since I was 14 that would make a difference... but Im a much better bassist than guitarist!

Its all weird!