Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1364379020' post='2025542']
Haven't heard any of the British Lion stuff, I'm assuming it's very Maiden-esque sounding?
[/quote]

I hate to say it being an Irons fan....but I didn't like the album. I think it is the vocalist and not because it wasn't Bruce. It isn't particularly Maiden like - hasn't got the mass guitar harmonies etc but that is fine (Bruce's Tyranny album is epic and sounds nothing like Maiden).

I can only suggest you try it (there was somewhere you could preview the album, might be on the actual BL site). You might well like it.

Never been much of a Maiden fan , even in my pre - teen metal days , but Steve Harris is superb bass player . If plays like that using those heavy gauge flatwound signature strings then he must have the strongest fingers of any player since James Jamerson - truly a man of steel .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1364385342' post='2025649']
Never been much of a Maiden fan , even in my pre - teen metal days , but Steve Harris is superb bass player . If plays like that using those heavy gauge flatwound signature strings then he must have the strongest fingers of any player since James Jamerson - truly a man of steel .
[/quote]

I found them pretty comfortable to play. I kept SH sig strings on my SH sig Fender for about 18 months, it was only cost that made me switch to something else.

It was a blue P (looked like a 70's head stock decal) with a sparkle finish 'crazed' under a standard light blue finish.

I assumed it was has main bass with a new, sparkly, finish.

Album doesn't sound maiden-like: and I wasn't impressed with the singer on the recording, but live he came across much better.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1364385342' post='2025649']
[/quote]

He has a particularly light touch, which he has described as "tickling" the strings. Maiden stuff is harder to play, stamina wise, if you dig in hard.

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1364387048' post='2025692']
It was a blue P (looked like a 70's head stock decal) with a sparkle finish 'crazed' under a standard light blue finish.

Album doesn't sound maiden-like: and I wasn't impressed with the singer on the recording, but live he came across much better.
[/quote]

The decal is almost completely worn away on his main 70's P.

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1364387048' post='2025692']

[/quote]
[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1364390722' post='2025786']

The decal is almost completely worn away on his main 70's P.
[/quote]

So was he using one of his Royal Blue Fender Sig basses?

I've got fond memories of British Lion and Steve from years back.

Some of BL came from round my way and Steve knew a landlord of a pub in Thorpe Le Soken (Vic Hiles), anyway me and some mates went to see BL in this sleepy little village pub (which became quite a rocker hang out for a while) and met Steve and a few other Maiden types in the bar.

As a result our drummer ended up fitting phones into Steve's studio at his home and several of us from the pub ended up doing 'yob backing vocals' on Fear of The Dark (From Here to Eternity and Chains of Misery) then having a pint in Steve's own pub at his house. Complete with stage props from the World Slavery Tour.

Our drummer even ended up gigging in a pair of Steve's old spandex trousers from the World Slavery tour for a while! It wasn't a pretty sight.

Also saw the BL guys a lot and I even still have an old 'European' tour t-shirt somehwere, one date on the back - Great Bentley Village Hall!

Nice that Steve has got this material out (though he originally didn't play bass with BL, just managed them.)