Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris

Ahhhh, Steve is a legend. One of the albums (yes it was on record) was Live After Death. First time I realised that the instrument I loved could be part of the melody rather than helping guitarists be heroes.

Still do a little bit of Steve's lines inbetween songs at gigs....

• 4 months later...

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1364468548' post='2026829']
This is the best photo I can find on-line: note the crazed sparkle finish under standard blue:[/quote]

That's his '78 precision. It was also black originally.

On this tour he used this bass and his blue signature bass.

(At least for some part of the previous Maiden tour these two were backup basses to his "original" bass (now white, a '72 precision) and a new custom built one to the exact same specs, colours, pinstripe and sticker as the '72. You'll spot the difference between the two white ones, the custom built new one has the waterslide decal.

In the recent past tours he has also had his red one as a backup. Many different basses, but all precisions and pickups individually rewound to have the same sound character.

Steve is an amazing musician who was absolutely on fire up until the Seventh Son album -- which I feel was Maiden's last great album. He also showed how having the bass mixed up front worked so beautifully. And what a sound!

Ever since adding the third guitarist, he got buried in the mix and it seems like he isn't out to prove himself anymore and that fire was dwindled somewhat. He can still play though though , but it's usually on the old tunes where he shines. I thought his solo album would bring back some of that zeal but it was curiously tepid. I'm curious to hear how he's sounding live these days.

Adrian Smith left in 1990 and replaced by Yanik Gers, then Adrian Smith came back 9 years later. Since 1988 Steve has played the keyboards. Live the keyboard player is still hidden off stage.

I think 1990 marked the end of the old Iron Maiden era. Nico is quite vocal if you ask him when they're going to get back to playing good tunes like they used to.

Tbh- Listening back to Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son they're not as good as I remember them being at the time.

Everyone moves on.