Why become a member? ×

Disappearing ads...

Monckyman

I placed an ad for a double bass in the relevant section last week.Now it isn't there.
Is there a Moderator who can tell me why that is?
I may be a little slow on the uptake and the rules have changed but if an ad is removed, surely informing me would have been polite?
Answers on a postcard to befuddled and fed up.

Edit.
Just seen the new ad charges.
So that's cheap used items for sale to other BCers out the window as the place is now run for profit so why should anyone do cheap rates if they're paying for the ad?
Nail number two.

Edited by Monckyman

Are you referring to the 'subscription' fee to place ads?

If so, I don't think it's so the site can make a profit, it's just to help with the upkeep, since the site used to rely solely on donations. I don't think £20 for a year of unlimited ads is unreasonable at all though, especially compared to eBay's costs! You can still sell items under £50 for free as well :)

Right.
You've written 1355 posts since April 5th, 2011, and you're complaining about a £20 (alternatively £7 for one ad, or nothing for an item below £50) to keep an expensive site up and running?
Has the site not given you anything during those years? Were your 1355 posts there just for helping BC to attain a higher level of readworthiness?

I think you have some rethinking to do.

best,
bert

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1364133088' post='2022214']
I placed an ad for a double bass in the relevant section last week. Now it isn't there.[/quote]

Fair comment, Dave - if the ad was placed before the new charges applied, it should still be there. If you placed the ad after the charges applied you would have been directed to a payment page. Maybe it was an error? :)

Come to this thread late.

It's a tough one but we're all in a market together - I had a whinge about paying fees a few weeks back, but I increasingly appreciate this pov - I personally HATE the idea of market, per se, it's the root of all evil today (thanks P. Floyd), but 'market' works on all levels, ie. realistically, why should someone provide a service for free if they offer expertise and time? I'm prepared to pay someone for their time and to do what[i] I[/i] can't do, same as I expect people to pay me the going rate for my time (and expertise...what little I have ) (ha ha)

Made a reply and the self censored it.
Saves the mods the trouble after lasts nights deletion.

Maybe I'm just getting a bit jaded with this whole forum, which seems to divide its attention between puerile threads about royal arses or pinos underpants and how they shape his tone.
Now we have to pay for ads of any worth.
Ok.
Time for a rethink

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1364150253' post='2022555']
Made a reply and the self censored it.
Saves the mods the trouble after lasts nights deletion.

Maybe I'm just getting a bit jaded with this whole forum, which seems to divide its attention between puerile threads about royal arses or pinos underpants and how they shape his tone.
Now we have to pay for ads of any worth.
Ok.
Time for a rethink
[/quote]

If you didn't go through the payment gateway when you posted then the ad would have auto-deleted (unless it was priced under £50)

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1364151666' post='2022585']
So I had an ad that was placed BEFORE the charges came in removed, yet other people still have theirs up? Favouritism from the mods? Seems f***ing shady to me
[/quote]

Nope, all existing ads are fine until the items are all sold. It's only rolled out for new items. If memory serves me correctly you listed over £800 worth of pedals as £50. I see now your listing is correct, which is fine. Any other questions, PM the mod of the sales area as I'm not specifically up on individual listings..

ped

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1364152560' post='2022599']
I don't mind paying for ads, but posts shouldn't "just disappear".

There should be a notification that a deletion has occurred.

An automatic deletion could easily put out an automatic reason.
[/quote]

Just to clarify - NOTHING is deleted - if you don't pay, or have no £20 subscription, nothing is POSTED.

Deletions only happen when users post expensive stuff for £0 in which case the thread is automatically hidden whilst we PM the user, as in some cases it's an honest mistake. At least we TRY to PM everyone and discuss but perhaps not 100% of the time, we're only human.

If one reads the rules and plays fair, there's no problem.

Cheers

I got my new thread deleted because I didn't read up on the new stuff so then I went to make another but just decided to stop being lazy and bumped my old thread... Which was then deleted even though it hadn't broken any forum rules