Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Disappearing ads...

Monckyman

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1364205476' post='2023027']
I'M SO ANNOYED! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I POSTED AN AD FOR SOMETHING ON THIS SITE, WOT IVE BEEN USING FOR FREE FOR YEARS. AND BECAUSE I REFUSED TO PAY MY AD HAS BEEN DELETED AND THE MODS DIDNT GO TO THE EFFORT TO EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT I COULDN'T BE BOTHERED TO READ.

AND NOW IM GOING 2 RANT ABOUT IT WITHOUT SEEKING AN EXPLANATION FIRST.

I'M CONSIDERING LEAVING BC BECAUSE OF THIS!!!!!
[/quote]

Psst, wanna buy a Caps Lock TIM? :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1364205835' post='2023035']
The header of the abandoned advert, before it is automatically deleted, will trigger a notification. That's why some 'for sale' items don't appear and generate an error message when you click on them. It's a bug in the system. :)
[/quote]

You techie you... ;)

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1364170430' post='2022852']
I enjoy basschat, it's like a magazine only free. Considering how much I pay for my subscription to BGM it's terrific value for money and you can't get any better than free.

I couldn't buy a years worth of our local paper for £20 and that's not even worth reading.

£20 to sell a few bass type things and keep a great site going, I call that a real bargain and even if I don't sell anything, it's still a bargain.
[/quote]

That`s my view as well. I think the thing about ads is annoying to those affected - I was as well - but I`m happy to pay my £20. With the amount I`ve sold on here, if i`d done it on evilbay I would have paid a large purse of monies to them.

I don't understand why "advertisers" are complaining about the £20 [b]ANNUAL[/b] "sell as much as you like" fee - that's about 40p pw to use this forum, and get all the benefits that come with belonging to it - this is cheap even if you don't sell anything!!!

Offer a business these overheads and they'd rip your arm off!!

I'm not sure what the charges at eBay are currently - how much would you need to sell before incurring £20 costs??

The point about there being 25,000 BCers is a bit misleading - as we know people come and go, it would be interesting to know how many are actually "active" members (have a look at the bottom of the Home page!!)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1364226592' post='2023444']
I'm not sure what the charges at eBay are currently - how much would you need to sell before incurring £20 costs??
[/quote]
AFAIK they charge 10%, so £200 worth.
There are also some insertion fees that are charged as well.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1364226592' post='2023444']
The point about there being 25,000 BCers is a bit misleading - as we know people come and go, it would be interesting to know how many are actually "active" members (have a look at the bottom of the Home page!!)
[/quote]

It's not really the number of users BC has, it's the number of people who make use of the Marketplace as sellers.
I've been here since 2010 and have yet to place my first advert!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1364134452' post='2022235']
Are you referring to the 'subscription' fee to place ads?

If so, I don't think it's so the site can make a profit, it's just to help with the upkeep, since the site used to rely solely on donations. I don't think £20 for a year of unlimited ads is unreasonable at all though, especially compared to eBay's costs! You can still sell items under £50 for free as well :)
[/quote]

£20 is 4-5 magazines...

it's not a lot of money, in a year... and only payable if you want to sell stuff. It works out cheaper than eBay very easily.

My friend's brother was complaining that after using the messaging app 'whatsapp' for about a year, it asked him to pay a subscription. "I am not paying!" said the brother. My friend asked "how much does it cost a year now?" The answer... 69p.
People are used to never pay for things online...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1364205476' post='2023027']
I'M SO ANNOYED! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I POSTED AN AD FOR SOMETHING ON THIS SITE, WOT IVE BEEN USING FOR FREE FOR YEARS. AND BECAUSE I REFUSED TO PAY MY AD HAS BEEN DELETED AND THE MODS DIDNT GO TO THE EFFORT TO EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT I COULDN'T BE BOTHERED TO READ.

AND NOW IM GOING 2 RANT ABOUT IT WITHOUT SEEKING AN EXPLANATION FIRST.

I'M CONSIDERING LEAVING BC BECAUSE OF THIS!!!!!
[/quote]

Very mature.
And inaccurate.
Get a grip eh?

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1364291558' post='2024295']
Very mature.
And inaccurate.
Get a grip eh?
[/quote]

It wasn't aimed at you - sorry for not being clear. It was just a mischievous amalgamation of what the mods have been dealing with for the last few weeks.