Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino...once again...how sh*t hot is he?

merello

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1364205324' post='2023024']
Here's another "Who Did You Think I Was", the bass-cam extra from a DVD, I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgFFNXahcg
[/quote]

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Pino is my biggest influence as a bass player. I lean more towards his RnB/Neo Soul work because that's more the style I play in bands and projects, but all of his playing I just find incredible and appropriate for the musical situation.

Here's some tracks off of José James's album 'No Beginning No End' that he played on. I understand this may not be to everyones taste but I think his playing on this album is great and I recommend it not just for the playing but for José James' brilliant songwriting.
Pino featured on all of the tracks, co-wrote one and produced the album too! Amazing musician...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWLCFPBie_g[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLFzdcWVZjo[/media]

Pino is an absolute legend who in imho, hasn't looked out of place in anything he's done, I've seen in with the who and it works just fine.

But for me he's 80's pop work was just awesome, having recently formed an 80's trib band I've had to learn a handful of his bass lines and believe me, they're s some cleaver stuff going on. I think we all remember the mwah lines with paul young but have another listen to go Go West....the bass lines are fantastic and really what made the tunes

I'm actually just listening to his fretless playing with PSP on the live album. Very, very Jaco'ish, but really very,very good.

I prefer him to John Entwistle with the Who. I think Entwistle got too far away from how he started. He was very much inspired by the Motown vibe early on, which Pino still retains.

I've got a live CD of the Who's Brighton gig in 2006, you can get them from here [url="http://www.themusic.com/encore/thewho2/"]http://www.themusic.com/encore/thewho2/[/url]

His playing is just there, it never gets in the way of anything, it's just there !

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1364728910' post='2030035']
I'm actually just listening to his fretless playing with PSP on the live album. Very, very Jaco'ish, but really very,very good.
[/quote]Yeah it lacks that whole' "Look at me, look at me!" thing while still being spot on and impressive. Like everything he does really.

That's the weird thing with Palladino.. in a way he is a very busy player but he does it so well that it doesn't bother.
Someone asked me once to learn "New York Minute" on fretless because he wanted to cover it and I learned it note for note.
When we played it he told me after one rehearsal "that bass is just too busy, you should play it like on the record".
He was surprised when he found out I played the same thing and hadn't added a note.
I once asked Pino for advice when people would ask me to play like him in the studio.. he said "Tell them to f*ck off" :-)

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1364733165' post='2030084']
That's the weird thing with Palladino.. in a way he is a very busy player but he does it so well that it doesn't bother.
Someone asked me once to learn "New York Minute" on fretless because he wanted to cover it and I learned it note for note.
When we played it he told me after one rehearsal "that bass is just too busy, you should play it like on the record".
He was surprised when he found out I played the same thing and hadn't added a note.
I once asked Pino for advice when people would ask me to play like him in the studio.. he said "Tell them to f*ck off" :-)
[/quote]

You've just said what I was trying to say in my reply above, but I didn't express myself too well !

You don't realise how much he's playing until you analyse it. Listen to some of the old Paul Young records, the bass was often extremely high in the mix, but it never got in the way of the vocals. Don't forget this was 'pop' music, the vocal was the main thing. Often his playing would compliment the vocal.

Just ordered the Jose James album !

Edited by ambient

• 1 month later...

This was taken a couple of days ago. Nice to see he's a fan of other bassists too. Incidentally, the bass Pino is having signed is his Moon Larry Graham signature model.

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/Screenshot_2013-06-07-16-59-39.png[/IMG]

Edited by kevin_lindsay

[quote name='jamesbass116' timestamp='1364510602' post='2027628']
Pino is my biggest influence as a bass player. I lean more towards his RnB/Neo Soul work because that's more the style I play in bands and projects, but all of his playing I just find incredible and appropriate for the musical situation.

Here's some tracks off of José James's album 'No Beginning No End' that he played on. I understand this may not be to everyones taste but I think his playing on this album is great and I recommend it not just for the playing but for José James' brilliant songwriting.
Pino featured on all of the tracks, co-wrote one and produced the album too! Amazing musician...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWLCFPBie_g[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLFzdcWVZjo[/media]
[/quote]

love this :)
he has now just sold one more cd.
i can't get enough of this kind of bass/drum interaction.

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1365944928' post='2046252']
he's just simply as good as it can...

not a big fan of his fretted work....

frettless work is simply total genius!!

cheers
[/quote]

I agree with the first sentence.....but the 2nd is the total opposite :-) Not a fan of his fretless (but a big fan of Partridges) and how he re-invented himself into a totally different player does my head in.

The man has a style which stands totally independent of nearly everyone.

Edited by Jah Wibble

• 4 weeks later...

When I saw that for the first time I wasn't floored and I'm still not convinced... Pino does some nice interventions but throughout the whole song he plays it rather safely and seems to be intimidated by the "weight" of the original bass-part.
Not that I expect him to be Jaco but at least Pastorius made a statement and Pino doesn't succeed in making this iconic piece his own.
He's one of my favourite bass players but I missed something in this version..

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1364734970' post='2030119']You don't realise how much he's playing until you analyse it. Listen to some of the old Paul Young records, the bass was often extremely high in the mix, but it never got in the way of the vocals. [/quote]

This is why I don't buy the standard bass-playing advice of 'lock in with the drummer'.

I leave the drummer to lock in with me, and I concentrate on making the vocal sound good. It's not about how busy you are, it's about not stepping on the vocal. Either play around it or harmonise with it, follow it where it's interesting, lead off into something interesting where the vocal repeats, etc. Don't worry too much about what the drummer's doing, if he's any good he'll be doing the same thing as you - making the song work. If he isn't any good then you can tell him what works and what doesn't. If all you're doing is listening to the drummer then you won't know whether you're making the song sound better or not.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1373669405' post='2140547']...Don't worry too much about what the drummer's doing, if he's any good he'll be doing the same thing as you - making the song work...[/quote]

This is right. I can't think of any occasion when this is not so. Thumb well and truly up; well said, that man. :mellow:

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1373662378' post='2140445']
When I saw that for the first time I wasn't floored and I'm still not convinced... Pino does some nice interventions but throughout the whole song he plays it rather safely and seems to be intimidated by the "weight" of the original bass-part.
Not that I expect him to be Jaco but at least Pastorius made a statement and Pino doesn't succeed in making this iconic piece his own.
He's one of my favourite bass players but I missed something in this version..
[/quote]

i disagree as much as i like jaco he hardly ever played it the same twice and the only ones most of us are familiar with are the original studio and the shadows and light version - its not like PP had to copy the studio version note for note - importantly it maintains the structure and the feel perfectly and adds to the song without making the overt statement that jacos lines often did - the lyrics and JM's delivery and wayne shorters soloing are more than enough to make it a great song even disregarding the bass line