Why become a member? ×

Highway one - was "Roadworn precisions"

Geek99

Hi
I've been offered one of these, and its a US according to the seller. I did think they were made in Mexico .
Can anyone provide any information about (early?) US models, or any likely differences between us and mex models?
Also interested if anyone knows any weak or strong points ?

Serial number indicates US 07/08
Thanks

Edited by Geek99

Yup, always been MIM as far as I'm aware. There is an American Vintage line that is very similar in specs, colours, with the same nitro finish but without the relicing (unless it's been done afterwards like [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197028-us-fender-57-precision-american-vintage-ow-aged-l1225/page__hl__aged"]this one[/url]).

Fender Roadworn Precisions are top notch basses, just got one recently via this very forum (Cheers to Badlydrawnbanjo) they sound and play superbly and in terms of "bang for buck" are one of the best basses that Fender is putting out at the moment, and they are made in Mexico. Well worth a go.

Are you sure it's not a beaten up Highway One and he's/she's not looking for a lot more value than its worth?

I know Highways where retailing around the £500-600 mark when they discontinued them.
Obviously with the nitro finish they where given, they where made so you can get that roadworn look sooner than later but way before they brought out the series.
Good basses from what Ive heard but trying to flog it as something else, and, something of a higher price is immoral and I'd wonder what else they'd try and hide.

Just me but I'd always try and play it before any trades/sales

BSB

As far as I can enlighten you, these [i]where[/i] the current "American Special" series (although I'm not sure if they've changed the finish) and other than the Badass II bridge.

They're a bridge between Mexican and American standard series, both in price and quality.

Here's what Wiki says about the H1 strat:

[Quote]Highway One Stratocaster

The Highway-1 series, originally introduced in 2002 and re-designed in 2006 (and discontinued in October 2011), were made in the U.S. and incorporate a hybrid of hardware; the string trees are similar in design and quality to those on American Series instruments, while the bridge hardware and tuners are the same as the American Special Series. Both body and neck are the same on the Highway-1 and American Special Strats, except that the body finish on the Highway-1 Strats benefit from a thin satin-finish nitrocellulose as opposed to the thick polyurethane coating used on both Standard and American series models. This coating provides a very vintage look, as nitrocellulose was the standard lacquer finish for vintage Strats. Highway 1 Strats use hotter Alnico III pickup polepieces similar to those on American Series guitars.The first model (3+ years) of Highway 1 instruments resembled "pre-CBS"-era instruments with the traditional headstock design, small frets and vintage color choices. Beginning in 2006, the second model (upgraded) was redesigned to resemble 1970s-era instruments with a large headstock, bigger frets, and CBS-era color schemes.[/quote]

A lot of reference to the guitar but just imagine bass features ;)

Hope this helps.

BSB

The second version of the Highway had the baddass bridge with pre cut groves in the saddles. Nitro finish, US made, late 60`s/early 70`s style P bass logo and the same style of tuners as the Mexican standard. Good value basses. Much better value than the American Specials that replaced them and a fair bit cheaper too.

Edited by jezzaboy

The Highway Ones as has already been said are US made. They are cracking basses for the money. The first series had a nitro satin finish and standard bridge. My son has one of the first highway one strats and he won't part with it.

Maybe try both basses and see which you prefer. But based on my experiences, i've had a highway one jazz and own a jap 62 reissue jazz and the 62ri was miles better in my opinion (always can be a bit hit and miss with fender though).