Why become a member? ×

Octave pedals!!!

basswesty

I have a MXR and a EHX MicroPOG

They are very different. The MXR is old school. Very sensitive to clean playing, glitchy if you are sloppy. Lets full dynamics through so you can run an env filter after it for 1970s disco goodness.

The MicroPOG tracks flawlessly. I really really mean flawlessly. It's amazing - but it doesn't allow a lot of dynamics through, so you get no reaction from an envelope filter that is later in the chain.

I love them both, and they are both on my board all the time as they are so different.

i've had the MXR bass octave deluxe, the Aguilar, and the Boss OC2. for me (and this might vary depending on playing technique, strings etc) MXR tracked the best by long way and had the best sound (but not square wave-ish like the oc2) - you can dial in what sound you want with two knobs. However, I found it has a subtle clicking (like a watch ticking) that drove me nuts. Some people say they don't have this, but there are other reports around and I tried three different ones with different basses and they all did it. So try before you buy i reckon.

Aguilar didn't track the low strings for me that well, but its got a good fat sound with low pass filter which is nice. you can do super-sub with this thing.

I ended up keeping the the OC2 as I like the very 'synth like' square wave-esq tone it puts out. It tracks well enough. Its basic. its analogue, OC3 is digital as far as i know, so don't go there!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1363564433' post='2014269']
just picked up an oc-2 this evening so look forward to giving it a go :)
[/quote]

We really do have similar taste. You beat me to that by minutes tonight, doh!

all depends what kind of octave sound you're going for, OC2 is mega fat and quite synthy! its my favourite analogue octave.

the Aguilar octamizer was pretty nice too, great tracking and good control over the octave tones.

if you want BEEF from your octave, i'd definitely say go analogue, all the digital octavers ive found can be quite thin.

another vote for OC-2 for analog/fat/awesome with fuzz... sold one a year or two back and have been hankering for another one for a while, and also picked one up this weekend :)

I've used a micro-POG and have to say the tracking was staggering, fast runs, chords, it tracked everything. sounds very digital, but is perfect for getting 'Battles'-esque sounds... I may have to get one of those too!

OC-3 tracks a little better than the OC-2 & has a good poly mode. I usually use mine in mono mode, so might replace it with an OC-2 sometime, but I'm happy with it. Sounds good going through some Moog filters.

Are there any octave pedals out there that give you control over the waveforms used? Im mostly interested in a sine -1 & -2 and triangle -1 with clean at 50% volume, sines 20% each and triangle 10% (maybe 15% on the triangle and -1 sine, depending on the song).

PS, sorry to OP for piggybacking off the thread, didnt really want to clutter up the place with another.

Edited by elephantgrey