Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Dilemma

Dr M

I love the look and feel of Jazz basses - the offset waist and skinny neck tick all the right boxes for me. I currently own a (now discontinued) Squier Standard Jazz (2006, I believe) in red sunburst. This was my first bass after many years playing guitar.

I have two problems with this bass. The first is the tone. Basically, the Squier pickups are awful - easy to change, but problem number two is making me wonder whether that's worth doing. It weighs a ton. I know Jazzes aren't often very light, but a two-hour rehearsal with this one, and my back and shoulder are aching, and then I've got to carry the thing home. I'm already using a 2.5" leather strap, so not a great deal more I can do on that front.

I'm not sure whether to flog the Squier and go on the hunt for a new Jazz, or to slap some new pickups in it and spend some time in the gym :P . I don't know about the quality of the woods, but weight aside, the build quality on the old Standard series seems to be pretty good. I have a feeling I might have to spend a fair amount more to get any significant improvement.

Perhaps make the jump to a US standard. I had a Squier CV Jazz for a while, and while they're great basses for the money, it certainly didn't match up to my US Jazz in tone and feel (although the finish was almost on par).
Even the mexican built Road Worn series gets a lot of love

Si

My favourite Fender basses are all really light and have a nice round tone with loads of character that works for most styles of music.

My heavy Fenders sound a bit honky and somehow less pleasing, although for slap or for playing Jaco style over the bridge pickup (neither of which I really do) they sound great.

Maybe you'd be better off trying as many Jazz basses as you can get your hands on before forking out on upgrades for your old bass.

I`d second the opinions on looking at a US Standard (used of course). For some reason, all of the recent US Standard Fenders (admittedly Precisions) I`ve had have been lighter than either MIM or Squiers. And they`ve played/sounded better as well.

I too got to a point where I had to sadly let my heavier basses go, but, my back is so much better now, not doing 2 or 3hr rehearsals with a 10-pounder. It really does make a difference.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1363280725' post='2011002']
Perhaps make the jump to a US standard. I had a Squier CV Jazz for a while, and while they're great basses for the money, it certainly didn't match up to my US Jazz in tone and feel (although the finish was almost on par).
Even the mexican built Road Worn series gets a lot of love

Si
[/quote]

I'd second this commotion get a Us jazz

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1363288327' post='2011168']
How heavy is heavy?
[/quote]

Good question. Never actually weighed it - might have to take it into work tomorrow and use the scales there. However, just from feel, it's significantly heavier than my (Les Paul style) PRS Tremonti SE and my Ibanez Iceman Bass - neither of which are renowned for being small and light!

Regarding US Standards, while I would love to go down that route, I'm currently living in London (and not working in finance) and saving for a deposit, so I really can't afford to spend the better part of a grand.

If that's how much I'd have to spend to notice any real improvement, I guess that answers the question!

You'd get a used US standard for less than a grand, money's tight at the mo and that obviously has an effect. Most recent (yr2000+) US made jazzes I've played have come in at he 8.5 to 9lb level which I'd personally class as medium/comfortable weight.

There's a couple of MIM roadworn Jazzes currently on sale here for £700, also well worth a look.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1363294360' post='2011296']
A US jazz just went for £475 on here within the last week. Keep your eyes open as there are some bargains to be had.
[/quote]

Yes, crazy price that was.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1363298905' post='2011372']
Yes, crazy price that was.
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't think it's particularly realistic to expect to pick up a US Fender for under £500. Someone on BC got a fantastic deal there, but if that was listed anywhere else, I'd be wondering what was wrong with it!

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1363276770' post='2010915']
I love the look and feel of Jazz basses - the offset waist and skinny neck tick all the right boxes for me. I currently own a (now discontinued) Squier Standard Jazz (2006, I believe) in red sunburst. This was my first bass after many years playing guitar.

I have two problems with this bass. The first is the tone. Basically, the Squier pickups are awful - easy to change, but problem number two is making me wonder whether that's worth doing. It weighs a ton. I know Jazzes aren't often very light, but a two-hour rehearsal with this one, and my back and shoulder are aching, and then I've got to carry the thing home. I'm already using a 2.5" leather strap, so not a great deal more I can do on that front.

I'm not sure whether to flog the Squier and go on the hunt for a new Jazz, or to slap some new pickups in it and spend some time in the gym :P . I don't know about the quality of the woods, but weight aside, the build quality on the old Standard series seems to be pretty good. I have a feeling I might have to spend a fair amount more to get any significant improvement.
[/quote]

I put DiMarzio pickups on my Squier; made a tremendous difference. Don't know what to say about the weight problem.

W.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1363276770' post='2010915']
I'm already using a 2.5" leather strap, so not a great deal more I can do on that front.

[/quote]

You might be surprised. I recently changed from a wide suede leather strap to a "Neotech Mega Bass Strap" (other neoprene straps are available) and I find the difference in comfort and perceived weight to be really good. Maybe worth trying one out?

After playing numerous Fender jazz basses since adam was a boy I switched to a Lakland Darryl Jones jazz bass - weighed 7.5lbs and totally smashed every Fender that I had ever owned....including some golden oldies!

They are also cheaper than brand new USA Fenders. No competition imho.