Why become a member? ×

Left Handed Discussion Thread

icastle

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1380742236' post='2229977']
Just got my lefty custom-made faux brushed-gold jazz bass pickguard delivered. Made by the Bass Doc and it is excellent.
[/quote]

Hey, that plate is absolutely lovely.....

One of those would go lovely on my US STD. How much did that cost from the bass doc per chance?

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1380801597' post='2230701']

Hey, that plate is absolutely lovely.....

One of those would go lovely on my US STD. How much did that cost from the bass doc per chance?
[/quote]
Best thing to do would be to pm him for a personal quote. If you're after one exactly like mine, mention me as the cost may be the same. I sent him my original guard to work from.

PM'd.

Perhaps a little bit OT in here (or maybe not...), but I have a thread running in the 'Events' forum about a proposed series of Lefty Bass Bashes in the New Year. If you haven't seen it yet you may care to pop over there for a bit of a read. Last year's was held near Warwick, and although attendance was small it was an excellent day that was thoroughly enjoyed by everyone who came. I'm hoping for the same next time - but with bigger numbers..... :)

Played an Epiphone Classic Thunderbird in Macaris on Saturday upside down, works a treat (other than the reversed strings, which can be sorted). Sounded really nice, neck was very J like and looked gorgeous (Alpine White model, didn't look much far off my Gibson SG in finish quality). Controls did not get in the way at all. GAS now engaged.

• 3 weeks later...

It sure is. I've owned one (sunburst, rosewood board, old model with 3-bolt neck joint and the old bi-cut neck) and it was a great bass. Loved the Jazz Bass-like neck profile and the neck finish, feels very smooth. Sounded awesome too, the splitcoil is like a regular P-pickup on steroids. I used the bridge pickup as a tone control, as the bass has none, and it works great. These are very versatile even with just two volume controls.

new member leftie here, I switched to the low end a few years ago (originally I play guitar left handed), at the moment im using restrung basses, a squier p-bass and a Vintage. Its not too bad, but I really want a leftie bass i can call my own! Seriously considering a steinberger....

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1384978287' post='2283113']
Really into fretless just now. Not really playing fretted much. Anyone else go through fretless phases?
[/quote]
I spent about 7 years only playing fretless. At the time I only had the one bass, a Steinberger L2 unlined fretless.
Later band requirements and personal leanings took me elsewhere and I haven't played much fretless for 15 years.
(Wish I still had the Steiny though)

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1384978287' post='2283113']
Really into fretless just now. Not really playing fretted much. Anyone else go through fretless phases?
[/quote]

Back in the 80's, yes.......My fretless phase ended when I realised I couldn't play fretless bass...Removed he frets from a Columbus P bass, which is sill sitting in the loft waiting for a re fret.