Why become a member? ×

Left Handed Discussion Thread

icastle

[quote name='glefty' timestamp='1390995430' post='2352005']
I gotta fess up, n I hope it don't get me thrown outta this fine club but I'm a righty who plays lefty for the exact reason listed above. When I was 9 it seemed to make perfect sense, dexterity wise, plus Paul was my fave Beatle so I flipped the strings to lefty n jumped in. Got a proper lefty later n have been at it for 40 yrs now. Rare for a righty but I do have some lefty or ambidexterity in me, about 20/80 lefty tho the strongest n dominant is the right. Guess I'm a muso version of Rafa Nadal. Pls don't disown me now! ��
[/quote]

I am the same-ish. Definately a rightie, the only two things I do left handed are guitar and archery strangely. I blame my lefty guitar playing on being a brass player originally, so I am used to using my right hand for 'fingering' the notes I am playing. This seems to translate to the fretboard on a guitar.
I have found though that I cannot slap, which I think I could do with my right hand but then I am not really into that style anyway (although I would love to add it to my limited repetoire).
Also unusually, my F-i-L is a complete righty but plays golf left handed. He cannot explain it at all.

Edited by DorsetBlue

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1390999986' post='2352063']
I am the same-ish. Definately a rightie, the only two things I do left handed are guitar and archery strangely. I blame my lefty guitar playing on being a brass player originally, so I am used to using my right hand for 'fingering' the notes I am playing. This seems to translate to the fretboard on a guitar.
I have found though that I cannot slap, which I think I could do with my right hand but then I am not really into that style anyway (although I would love to add it to my limited repetoire).
Also unusually, my F-i-L is a complete righty but plays golf left handed. He cannot explain it at all.
[/quote]

Interesting, I started as a brass musician. I just cannot physically hold a right handed instrument, let alone play one.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I read an article on Talkbass, a NAMM report, saying that Gibson were making lefties in all ranges now.
Can't seem to find any availability except for the EB and some Thunderbirds.

If Gibson are, will Epiphone follow?
I feel the call of a Jack Cassidy, or maybe a Midtown...
anyone heard or seen any info?
Nodd

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1392635831' post='2370808']
I'm getting the impression that lefty models are - as many other "luxury" items or items with less of a mass appeal - becoming victims of the financial crisis. Unlike in the past, manufacturers now seem totally reluctant to commit to producing them, and only act upon insistent demand, if at all.
[/quote]

I don't think/hope this is the case, I just think Gibson is failing on their communications at the moment. Might give the Gibson chap another prod, now that NAMM is over.

In the case of Fender, there has been a call for a lefty Mustang bass for years now but to no avail. Even Squier has been a major let down in not producing a lefty Mustang model in their range as well as lefty versions of their Classic Vibe series, although they make lefty guitars in this range.

The Squier approach to the lefty market is a bit strange.
They seem to produce limited runs, currently the Jazz basses, of pretty standard models.
I'd love to see lefties with Filtersonics or Humbucker p/ups like the 'Tele' and 'Cabronita',
can't even find these p/ups as spares.

[quote name='Nodd' timestamp='1392650967' post='2371065']
I'd love to see lefties with Filtersonics or Humbucker p/ups like the 'Tele' and 'Cabronita',
can't even find these p/ups as spares.
[/quote]

Oh yes, Me too... Basses and guitars ( lefty Cabronita Telecaster is my guitar GAS).

As for pickups - how about these.... [url="http://tvjones.com/pickups-2/bass-pickups/"]http://tvjones.com/p...2/bass-pickups/[/url]

Not to mention Fender Wide Range Humbuckers like in the Squier Vintage Modified Precision TB. Those humbuckers are available as spares, but the trouble you have to go through to get some... I have two laying at home that I once bought for a project that never happened. I intended to modify a cheap Precision into a Fender Custom Shop LOTTO replica, but I left the only band I could use it in, so I discarded the project, sold the donor bass, and still have those pickups somewhere.

This (it's like the Fender Telecaster Deluxe guitar, but in a bass version with a regular Precision body and Tele headstock):

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any experience with a Warwick Star bass 4 or 5 !!?? Really warming to the idea of a white one..[size=2].(amongst the masses of other basses I'm gassing for). [/size]

[quote name='Nodd' timestamp='1393602615' post='2382473']
Do any of you have one of the recent Squier P bass Specials?
if so, can you tell me what the channeling under the pickguard is like?
i.e. has it the 'hole' from finish spraying and is the pick up cable channel routed?
Thanks,
Nodd
[/quote]

[attachment=156543:squier.JPG]

Andertons are now listing all of the Gibson 2014 basses in left handed, with piccies that do not look like they have been reversed in Photoshop........pity the arrival time is 'No ETA'. :(

EDIT - Correction, at least one is reversed in Photoshop. :angry:

Edited by DorsetBlue

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1394193601' post='2388969']
Andertons are now listing all of the Gibson 2014 basses in left handed, with piccies that do not look like they have been reversed in Photoshop........pity the arrival time is 'No ETA'. :(
[/quote]thanks for that, i've been after one for ages, they shouldn't advertise them if they can't get them.