Why become a member? ×

Left Handed Discussion Thread

icastle

Hi Cack handers,
Anyone tried the Gibson Sg bass? I love the look of them, i would prefer to try one before buying but the nearest stockist is bloody miles from me (Andertons Guildford).. So don't fancy the long drive without knowing what they're like.
Thanks in advance.
Oops just realised this didn't need to be in the lefty thread so i moved it to bass guitars.

Edited by rogerstodge

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1363082144' post='2007941']
part of the problem is that althought 13% of the population are lefty's I would say at least half of them learn right handed because right handed guitars are more readily available, a vicious circle I suppose
I'm always a bit mystified as to why we play the way we do given that whatever handedness we are, in our case the left hand is the one with most dexterity, logic would dictate that would be the hand we use for the fingering of the fret board.
Wonder if there's any right handed people that play left handed?
[/quote]
just read that Macca does everything else right handed, but couldn't play guitar till he switched it round, is this true? and am I a narcissist for quoting myself?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1388404692' post='2321531']
just read that Macca does everything else right handed, but couldn't play guitar till he switched it round, is this true? and am I a narcissist for quoting myself?
[/quote]

I've heard that about Hendrix, and have the same issue myself, but I've not heard that about Sir Paul.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1388484378' post='2322418']
I've heard that about Hendrix, and have the same issue myself, but I've not heard that about Sir Paul.
[/quote]
just found this
From Rolling Stone issue 482, September 11, 1986
Kurt Loder: On a more trivial but similarly ancient note, a new biography of you claims that Paul McCartney, the world's most famous left-handed bassist, is actually right-handed. True?
Paul McCartney: No, I'm quite definitely left-handed.

and this

www.theguardian.com/music/2010/feb/25/jimi-hendrix-ambidexterity-virtuosity

Edited by PaulWarning

Macca plays drums right handed, this probably because Ringo, despite being left handed plays drums right handed, so it saved swapping the kit round,
Coincidently, I play the Drums right handed, but am a lefty in almost every other way, it's just easier when using someone else's kit, and provided you haven't got a really weak right foot is not a problem

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1388763804' post='2325783']
Cool rare lefty Ibanez Musician on ebay at moment.
Im way too small for one of those though.
[/quote]

Isn't that HADGE from this forum? He was also selling his Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman.

Those Musicians are indeed big basses, the lowest notes are pretty far away. But you owned a Thumb, you should be used to that :P. They're also really heavy. I love mine though. I also have a later version with ash body wings instead of mahogany with ash veneers, which is a fair bit lighter and slightly more ergonomic and compact (the bridge is placed a fraction further backwards). Awesome basses!

Edited by LeftyJ

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1388404692' post='2321531']

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that he is a 'true' lefty, see link below.

http://www.beatlesagain.com/breflib/lefthand.html

Though I think my bass tutor mentioned that he's actually right-handed but plays lefty.

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1389349589' post='2333065']
I'm pretty sure that he is a 'true' lefty, see link below.

[url="http://www.beatlesagain.com/breflib/lefthand.html"]http://www.beatlesag...b/lefthand.html[/url]

Though I think my bass tutor mentioned that he's actually right-handed but plays lefty.
[/quote]
Read somewhere, maybe have been on here, that Philip Norman started it off the 'Paul is right handed story' in one of his none too accurate books about the Beatles, and as with a lot of things it gets repeated until everybody believes it

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have 2 guitars to flog first and a bass

All Leftys actually, a Jap built Jackson Dinky HSH with duncans, a BC Rich Warlock with a Hardcase (Plat series) with upgraded pots, input, wiring and switching from a Grestch and a rare as rocking horse poop Jap made Silver Series Fender branded strat from the 80's, one of only 2 I have ever seen with both the Fender logo and the Silver Series logo on the same stock (supposedly they were only meant for the Japan domestic market) monster it is though, war wounds a plenty but a killer working mans (or womans!) Strat

If they move quick so will I

All I will say is -

Reverse neck Jazz and a Custom Neck P.....

I'm always a bit mystified as to why we play the way we do given that whatever handedness we are, in our case the left hand is the one with most dexterity, logic would dictate that would be the hand we use for the fingering of the fret board.
Wonder if there's any right handed people that play left handed?

I gotta fess up, n I hope it don't get me thrown outta this fine club but I'm a righty who plays lefty for the exact reason listed above. When I was 9 it seemed to make perfect sense, dexterity wise, plus Paul was my fave Beatle so I flipped the strings to lefty n jumped in. Got a proper lefty later n have been at it for 40 yrs now. Rare for a righty but I do have some lefty or ambidexterity in me, about 20/80 lefty tho the strongest n dominant is the right. Guess I'm a muso version of Rafa Nadal. Pls don't disown me now! 😖

I'm doing some research on left-handedness in music, to be posted in a dedicated blog (currently containing only a holding page, I'm afraid: http://wp.me/P4hMGq-1).

This article mentions some of your questions - I aim to provide a platform for our discussion when my page is up and running: [url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/left-handed_guitarists_the_famous_and_the_facts.html"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/left-handed_guitarists_the_famous_and_the_facts.html[/url]
And there's always the obligatory Wikipedia list, of course: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musicians_who_play_left-handed"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musicians_who_play_left-handed[/url]

Watch this space - I'll give you all a shout when I'm up and running :)

[quote name='glefty' timestamp='1390995430' post='2352005']

[/quote]
this has occurred to me, maybe the first time anybody picks up a guitar the first thing they do is strum the strings, not bothering about the fretting hand, so you do that with your favoured hand, just a thought, having said that there are examples of left handed people (Macca being one) being given a right handed guitar and not being able to play it till they flip it.