Why become a member? ×

Deusenberg Starplayer

Mr Fretbuzz

Any one tried one of these. What are they like and what do they sound like? How do they compare with the Gibson Midtown or the Gretsch G5440. I'm looking at this shape, semi-hollow bass next. Probably go for the Gretsch and I did like the pinstriped Gretsch Guitar that was with Lee Rocker last weekend. :-)

I tried an Italia and a Hoffner President at the show and didn't like them that much.

All I know is they've received favourable reviews, and I once recorded a live show just for the delightful bass sound, and I later found out the bass was a Starplayer.
Don't know what fingers the guy used though.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1362690158' post='2003513']
Whenever I see a semi-hollow bass I just think it's going to neck dive like crazy.

I've never put one on a strap though. Am I wrong?
[/quote]
It's one reason for many hollow bodies being shorter scale and maybe having a solid centre block.

I can't say I've ever had a neck dive problem with a hollow body though.

i tried a deusenberg a few times, but going back about 7 or 8 years when my mate worked in a guitar shop that got a few in. it was a really nice, quality bass and sounded really good too, especially with fuzz :)

i have been looking at these again recently, and the aforementioned gibson!

I have never played one but a guy that I listen to called Nigel Hendroff uses a starmaker and a duo jet to great effect, they seem to sound quite similar from what I can tell. He is worth looking up on YouTube.

The Ibanez looks good and I like the Epiphone Jack Casady too. Its very difficult to tell what has got the best build quality and sound. It seems the more you pay for a Bass, the better quality you get mostly. I've tried a couple in the £400-£500 mark but not in the £900 upwards range. :huh: It has to look really old school cool but have the best tone possible for a semi as I only want to buy one of this style and keep it.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1365001181' post='2033939']
Check out this new long scale bass, the Motown

[url="http://duesenberg.de/en/basses/motown-bass.html"]http://duesenberg.de...otown-bass.html[/url]
[/quote]

Ooh no. I like their other basses a lot . But this. No.

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1365001181' post='2033939']
Check out this new long scale bass, the Motown

[url="http://duesenberg.de/en/basses/motown-bass.html"]http://duesenberg.de...otown-bass.html[/url]
[/quote]

Are you sure it's long scale?

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1365008382' post='2034102']
That is odd... 30.3 but the home page says its their only long scale bass?? :blush:

I'm after a 34 inch semi-hollow..oh well, back to Gibson, Gretsch and Epiphone then :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Warwick Starbass II?

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1365008382' post='2034102']
That is odd... 30.3 but the home page says its their only long scale bass?? :blush:

I'm after a 34 inch semi-hollow..oh well, back to Gibson, Gretsch and Epiphone then :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I've been very happy with my Yamaha Bex. There's one for sale on here. By Basschater Valahaf, I think.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1365009618' post='2034124']
Warwick Starbass II?
[/quote]

Wooah, GAS :) Saw some for £1200 but Thomann about £900. Took a look at some Andy Irvine utubes :) GAS for the blue and the Sunburst. They sound good I think on the front pick up... with flats as well B)