Why become a member? ×

Fender Precisions - they're fantastic

Ham fisted Bass

Guest MoJo

[quote name='BigRedX' post='206224' date='May 25 2008, 10:03 PM']Should the two be mutually exclusive?

I like to think that my basses look as good as they sound and play.[/quote]

I like my bass to look like it could spill your pint and you wouldn't argue...a real bruiser

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='206150' date='May 25 2008, 08:20 PM']Out of interest - What / where / how do you find a P bass limiting?[/quote]
1 single coil pickup in the wrong place and it's missing a fret. I can't stand p-basses. I'll agree that they get the job done, but the pickup just isn't where i like it, 1 single coil just isn't enough, i hate the shape and the shape of the pickguard and they're just really generic.

For me, a good simple bass is the musicman sub/stingray single H 2EQ. I find i more versatile, more playable, better sounding and better looking.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='206216' date='May 25 2008, 09:52 PM']this:

and this:
[/quote]
Ahhhh! now i can put a face to the name! i remember the pedulla and lightwave, amazing basses and you're right, they do sound and play as good as they look! (we met at the notts bass bash)

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='206240' date='May 25 2008, 10:23 PM']Ahhhh! now i can put a face to the name! i remember the pedulla and lightwave, amazing basses and you're right, they do sound and play as good as they look! (we met at the notts bass bash)[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, plus it's always nice to hear other people make them sound even better!

[quote name='Jase' post='206280' date='May 26 2008, 12:12 AM']Wow, wasn't expecting that mate, what's the sparkly blue fretless?[/quote]

It's a [url="http://www.gusguitars.com/"]Gus G3 fretless[/url]

These 4 basses are the main ones I use. For fretted the Gus G3 5-string has no real competition - it nails all the tones I want and plays like a dream. When it comes to fretless I still haven't found a single bass that does everything, but between them these three do it.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='206240' date='May 25 2008, 10:23 PM']i hate the shape and the shape of the pickguard and they're just really generic.[/quote]

So they should try and be less generic? So its their fault a bunch of companies have copied the shape and they became popular? Theyre generic because you see so many... probably for a good reason

Is is me/the photo or is the action quite high on that lovely lightwave? nice pics dude..
On P basses i find that as i play right by the back of the bridge i really miss that bridge pickup, and that the sound on its own is just an unpleasent 'thunk' and they do always have a beginner bass vibe.....that said as ive got older ive started to quite fancy giving one a go! (still pref with two pups though!)

[quote name='gafbass02' post='206392' date='May 26 2008, 10:21 AM']Is is me/the photo or is the action quite high on that lovely lightwave? nice pics dude..[/quote]

The Lightwave has a slightly higher action than my other fretless basses although that photo makes it look higher than it is. At the moment it's strung with TI Jazz Flats as it's my fake URB sound so the slightly over-high action suits it and isn't too much of a bind. The Lightwave pickup system while giving a great sound and lots of control hasn't been thought out that well from a mechanical view-point. Although the saddles will go much lower the optical sensors won't. Next time I change the strings I'll be readjusting the neck shim to give me a bit more flexibility with the action.

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='206422' date='May 26 2008, 11:14 AM']Respect is due... I can see why the Fender P doen't give you the same...'vibe'.[/quote]

Thanks. And apologies for sort of high-jacking the thread. I'll bow out now and let you get on with discussing P-Basses...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='206216' date='May 25 2008, 09:52 PM'][url="http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/gusfull.jpg"]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/gusfull.jpg[/url]" class="ipsImage" />[/quote]

Wow !! A stealth GUS. That is one mean looking bass.

Edited by 7string

Mmm, not a fan of Fenders in general. I find them a bit limiting, tonally and playability wise. That said, I do love the way some of them look, and if they made the USA deluxe precision (the one with the bridge humbucker) in a six string variant, then I would be more than tempted.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='206336' date='May 26 2008, 08:22 AM']Thanks for the kind words, plus it's always nice to hear other people make them sound even better!

It's a [url="http://www.gusguitars.com/"]Gus G3 fretless[/url]

These 4 basses are the main ones I use. For fretted the Gus G3 5-string has no real competition - it nails all the tones I want and plays like a dream. When it comes to fretless I still haven't found a single bass that does everything, but between them these three do it.[/quote]

Nice one BigRedX.....some good samples of the fretted version, sound cool :)

[quote name='charic' post='206381' date='May 26 2008, 10:12 AM']So they should try and be less generic? So its their fault a bunch of companies have copied the shape and they became popular? Theyre generic because you see so many... probably for a good reason[/quote]
I'm not saying they should be less generic. Some people like that. They're just not my cup of tea is all.

[quote name='SiOfBass' post='206805' date='May 26 2008, 08:39 PM']keeping the P thump and some versatility is the J/P pickup set not a happy place?

on a b-bass body for the complete package i'd imagine...[/quote]
I was actually thinking that. I don't mind the p/j combo as much, but it's still the same shape, i just don't like how they look. For simplicity, i much prefer my sub bass over a USA p. But it's all down to personal taste really.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='SteveO' post='205829' date='May 25 2008, 08:35 AM']i'd think of it more as the Mondeo of the world of basses. Does what it says on the tin, but i'd rather have a Ferrari.[/quote]

Hmm, i'd say the Precision was a design classic, so a 'Mondeo' would be far off the mark imo. More like a VW Beetle, or a Mini.

I love Ps. For those that find them dull, i say they're only as dull as the person playing it. It's all in the fingers imo.

Edited by Tee

I didn't mean dull in the context of a song especially - I have owned several and think in a band setting they do sound good and as I mentioned they feature on some of my fave songs and used by some of my favourite bass players. I guess I don't feel particularly inspired by the sound or feel of them when played in isolation.

[quote name='ped' post='207063' date='May 27 2008, 09:24 AM']I didn't mean dull in the context of a song especially - I have owned several and think in a band setting they do sound good and as I mentioned they feature on some of my fave songs and used by some of my favourite bass players. I guess I don't feel particularly inspired by the sound or feel of them when played in isolation.[/quote]

Fairy nuff! I'm not a fan of solo bass, but I can see your point.

Having said that (ain't there always..!) the only solo bass tunes I can listen to are by Colin Hodgkinson, who plays a P.

I don't like it either!! When I play in the studio though I like a bit more flexibility (in terms of sounds, not flexibility in what types of music you can use a P for, because you can use one for almost anything!) and I like my HIFI crisp sounds too much!!

[quote name='ped' post='207070' date='May 27 2008, 09:34 AM']I don't like it either!! When I play in the studio though I like a bit more flexibility (in terms of sounds, not flexibility in what types of music you can use a P for, because you can use one for almost anything!) and I like my HIFI crisp sounds too much!![/quote]

We're a rich and varied bunch, aren't we? :)