Why become a member? ×

So how was the (Bass Guitar) show?

visog

I've attended the show this morning and really knew what I wanted, which made my stay very painless. Quick look around, to the Warwick stand to try some basses out despite not being able to get them very easily in the UK... Then to the Spector stand and finally landing on Bass Direct where I made my mind up on a Dingwall. I really liked that everyone at the each of the stands was extremely friendly and willing to help out.

The volume wasn't an issue for me, although I was only there for about an hour, and I'm already looking forward to attending next year! I was also glad to see that most stands had headphones for amps and despite the sacrifice in sound quality, it was a testament to the quality of the basses when it sounded good through headphones.

I found, if you go early the sound hasn't gone out of control and you get better service on a lot of the stands.
After I've done the tour of the stands I spend most the day away from the exhibitors and in the gigs and masterclasses, which are often great.
I had a hoot on the Saturday and went to 3 of the live shows and 2 masterclasses. The food was expensive, but there was free re-entry and a Tesco Metro opposite the venue.
I also got books I wanted and two status gig bags, all at show prices.
I also got talking to some BCers.
All in all a really great day.

Ha ha...the old "I hate slap bass at music shows" thread.Only the date ever changes. :D
Forgive me for saying it-but aren't "trade shows" entirely designed to attract players to check out the manufacturer's wares close up,and get their hands on the gear at close quarters?Does it really matter if the guy plays a dodgy version of "Love games" on a coffee-table bass-if he's ultimately helping to keep the retailer and distributor in business-and thus allow future shows to commercialy viable?
Obviously the volume aspect needs addressing- but it seems that some peeps would rather use it as an excuse to moan about a playing style they don't and a "stereotype" punter rather than look at any positives!

[quote name='slapmonsta' timestamp='1362352868' post='1998947']
Ha ha...the old "I hate slap bass at music shows" thread.Only the date ever changes. :D
Forgive me for saying it-but aren't "trade shows" entirely designed to attract players to check out the manufacturer's wares close up,and get their hands on the gear at close quarters?Does it really matter if the guy plays a dodgy version of "Love games" on a coffee-table bass-if he's ultimately helping to keep the retailer and distributor in business-and thus allow future shows to commercialy viable?
Obviously the volume aspect needs addressing- but it seems that some peeps would rather use it as an excuse to moan about a playing style they don't and a "stereotype" punter rather than look at any positives!
[/quote]
Slapping can be quite intrusive though compared to other styles. Try some chordal work or listening to the sound of a note blossom on a fretless when the air is filled with the explosion of a thousand released springs. Also, some people DO use it as their chance to perform...maybe in the hope they'll get noticed by someone important and complimented on their playing? Who knows but slap was only novel and cutting edge 30 years ago. And I doubt very much that those performers would make much of a dent in any businesses bottom line if they were required to use headphones. But it would sure as hell make having a civil conversation easier. I'd suggest networking at these events is more important than watching Mark King clones reliving their Live at Wembley fantasies...and I say that as someone who plays slap bass heavily influenced by Mark King. There's a time and a place for everything.

One great idea would be along the lines of a silent disco. Every ticket holder gets a pair of RF tagged wireless headphones and each stand has a transmission frequency through which they're running a mix of who ever is playing at the time. So the idea would be to roll up to a stand, dial in their 'station' and enjoy.

Silent discos are explained here. The kit is available for hire.

[url="http://www.silentdiscokit.co.uk/howitworks.php"]http://www.silentdis.../howitworks.php[/url]

Bluetooth on smart phones could be an alternative. It wouldn't require any extra kit. Just someone on the stand to set their phone up to transmit and an app on each persons phone to receive. It's so ridiculously simple I'm appalled that noone has looked into it yet.

[quote name='slapmonsta' timestamp='1362352868' post='1998947']if he's ultimately helping to keep the retailer and distributor in business[/quote]

So THAT'S what all the kids are doing in the guitar shops with their mates on a saturday afternoon with no intention of buying & have done since before I was a kid!! :P

For what it's worth, I attended on Sunday, which was my first visit to any sort of musical show, so it's just first impressions.
The noise did get pretty loud at times, despite the efforts of "klaxon man", but it wouldn't deter me going again. If you are genuinely testing a prospective purchase you do need to properly test the product, but that can't be achieved if everybody is doing it at the same time in a relatively small room. It's separating the prospective purchasers from the egotists which is the problem, and I don't have the answer. Ideally it should be fairly simple for the trade stand managers to monitor sound levels and who is going over the top.
Anyway, I enjoyed the whole experience, particularly the chat session with Peter Hook, who came across really well. I also listened to Jonas Hellborg in the concert hall which was interesting.
Briefly visited the Bass Chat stand which always seemed to be busy, thanks for the lanyard Ladies!
The catering was OK, and I didn't think any more expensive than Starbucks in the motorway services on my return to Bournemouth, so much as expected.
I made a few minor purchases, am no longer in the market for new basses or amps, but it's good to see in the flesh what is around at the moment.
All in all, I enjoyed the event, and would definitely go again. How about a Bass Chat stand to sell secondhand gear, at £20 a display? Uh, I thought not!!!
Cheers,
Graham

Edited by graham1945

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1362413293' post='1999245']
It was a pleasure to man the BC corner. Seashell was by my side most of the time, so we ended up working as a bit of a team :)

Here she is, meeting Peter Hook:

[/quote]

Wow!

I never knew Peter Hook was blonde !

:rolleyes:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1362418141' post='1999396']
Yeh, I really should have had a shave! :-)
[/quote]
I was gonna say that but after much thought, due consideration and risk assessment of the potential hazards, I decided to..... be a coward. :)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1362418141' post='1999396']
But seriously he seemed like a really nice bloke and was not at all condescending.
[/quote]

Excellent :)

And now I suppose I should own up to having to look him up because I'd no idea who he is.
Still not much clearer now, but at least I can make out I've heard of 'Joy Division'. (?!?) :blink: :blush:

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1362342636' post='1998726']
Yes they are Proel UK formerly the UK's sole distributors of Mark Bass amplification, well Proel last year had a fall out with Mark Bass and are no longer their distributors, Mark Bass gear is imported by another UK company.

Proel still exist very prominently in the amplification and PA field and they still represent a number of large manufacturers, and as you have rightly said their new project which is still secretly under wraps, (the only reason I know is that after my dealings with Proel UK I have remained very friendly with them as they are all from my same country, Italy so we keep in touch a lot)
Well the Matamp project will soon go into production, they are planning to produce good quality bass amplification which will be badged probably with the Matamp name or whatever else they will come up with. In the meantime Proel continues to distribute Cort basses and guitars as well as many brands that do professional PA products.

You can see a list of their brands on this link: [url="http://www.proelint.co.uk/"]http://www.proelint.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, now it becomes clear!! Thought I recognised the chappie on the Cort stand as who had been on MarkBass for the last couple.

It was a pleasure to man the BC corner. Seashell was by my side most of the time, so we ended up working as a bit of a team :)

[/quote]

Wow, she had a weekend meeting famous bass players ;)

[quote name='slapmonsta' timestamp='1362352868' post='1998947']
[/quote]

This is what I feared really, these shows should be called slap fests or something IMO.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1362339236' post='1998654']
It was huge fun, and those of you who snubbed it just don't know what you missed, and I don't mean the slapping and the showing off. :sun_bespectacled:

Incidentally, kudos to Alex Lofoco, who demonstrated his double-thumbing slapping technique at the Rotosound stand [b]in a consistenly low volume[/b], so that listening and watching in awe was a pleasure as opposed to a torture. :i-m_so_happy:
[/quote]

Alex is running a Masterclass in Kilburn on Wednesday. I can arrange free entrance if anyone fancies it. Worth an hour or so of your time to see him play, he pulls off some amazing stuff!

[/quote]

Hooky was checking a few basses on the BassGear stand at one point and I so wanted to ask if he fancied trying a Ritter custom to replace his old Shergold :)

Might have been interesting to introduce him to Jens Ritter for a chat on bass design. . .

I had a good time at the show on Saturday. Met and chatted to Sheldon Dingwall and David Ellefson. I was irritated by the slap that was all around.
I did notice one anoying little so and so that was going from stand to stand and Slapping every bass he could lay his hands on.
Good outweighed the bad.

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' timestamp='1362502937' post='2000319']
This picture alone made it a worthwhile day for me. I look rubbish, but I don't care....

[/quote]

Aaaaah Man!!!!! This would have made my day if nothing else happened too!

(Could have told him his glasses were wonky!