Why become a member? ×

Billy Sheehan

andy67

Morning folks! :)

Sometime ago my partner secretly removed the scratchplate from my Yamaha Attitude mk2, wrapped it up and posted it off to Billy Sheehan.

On my birthday, March 20th, she presented me with the scratchplate signed by billy and photos of him with happy birthday, from billy, on them.

I was absolutely gobsmacked!

Anyhoo...I mailed him to say thanks and this is the reply I got:

Great!
 Glad you got it. I hope I get to Scotland again soon! I've always loved it there.
  Tell everyone on the bass forum I said hello! New solo CD coming very soon too.
 Take care & stay in touch!
  Your Friend,
    Billy

What a guy!

Andy

[quote name='johnnylager' post='204134' date='May 22 2008, 11:04 AM']Then there's the mechanics of screwdriver verses scratchable finish on bass.... :)[/quote]

You are assuming that a screwdriver was actually used it would normally be a knife from the cutlery drawer in my house !

Thanks folks, will get pics up soon!

my missus is ok some of the time!! :brow: :wub: :huh:

I dont use the Mk2 and have been feeling a bit homerish since Christmas...doh! :huh: :)

Edited by andy67

He does seem like a top bloke doesn't he?

See, this is why bassists are just better. Singers wouldn't respond, guitarists wouldn't answer the question if you stopped them noodling long enough to respond, and drummers wouldn't know how to read email, much less reply :)

[quote name='Oscar South' post='204623' date='May 22 2008, 10:18 PM']Good guy, pity about his bass playing though :)[/quote]

Jeez, any type of bass playing you actually do like? :huh:

I've heard Billy Sheehan is one of the nicest guys around. Noone's had a bad word to say about him.

billy's style is not quite everyone's bag but...his performance, craft and skill is second to no-one!

he has fun when playing, lines are in the bag before the flashy stuff and what a career!

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='andy67' post='206385' date='May 26 2008, 10:17 AM']billy's style is not quite everyone's bag but...his performance, craft and skill is second to no-one!

he has fun when playing, lines are in the bag before the flashy stuff and what a career!

andy[/quote]

+1 Andy, never a style I could integrate into my own but one I'll always enjoy watching, and also as stated, ee's such a nooiiice bloke!

hey josh,

yea I agree. At one stage i tried to emulate his style but decided this wasn't me. Love it to death though.

There is a guy on YouTube.com, I think his name is Dave Growl who plays just like billy.

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='206403' date='May 26 2008, 10:44 AM']hey josh,

yea I agree. At one stage i tried to emulate his style but decided this wasn't me. Love it to death though.

There is a guy on YouTube.com, I think his name is Dave Growl who plays just like billy.

andy[/quote]

I've still got the advanced techniques DVD and still watch it time to time, as it did help a good deal to set me on the right tracks, both soundwise (Compression etc...) and technique wise. I tried the 3 finger approach after heavily modding my P'Up positioning on my old bass to match his, and it resulted in just being a case of not feeling natural and really found that wasn't right for me and started to take a back seat and become more associated with the groove. I still use ome of those exercises still, just with 2 fingers instead and has really helped to no end.

Ummm I think it's Danny Growl, I can respect he has learnt a great deal from Billy but in the end he just sounds and looks like a copy to every extent so to me he looses his appeal as an original player.