Why become a member? ×

I'm going to get down on this bad boy

Happy Jack

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1360930314' post='1978430']
That man is completely insufferable. I can't believe Warwick let him demo their products officially. It demonstrates how detached from reality some of the instrument manufacturers actually are that they think that's what's going to actually sell things to people. I suppose they expectation is that people will see someone playing seven hundred notes a second with their thumb in the most non-musical fashion possible and think that they'll be able to play like that if they buy the bass. Can't see that working at all though. A lot of these companies would do well to take a leaf out of Lakland's book when it comes to demoing the tonal capacity of their products.
[/quote]What some of you don't get, is that Andy is the typical Warwick USA buyer. He looks like he just stepped out of an engine shop, is slightly overweight, hi- fives everyone, is on the winning team, has those chops and has dispossible income to buy one of these monstrosties.

Perfect marketing by Warwick

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1360964449' post='1979285']
What some of you don't get, is that Andy is the typical Warwick USA buyer. He looks like he just stepped out of an engine shop, is slightly overweight, hi- fives everyone, is on the winning team, has those chops and has dispossible income to buy one of these monstrosties.

Perfect marketing by Warwick
[/quote]
Very good point.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1360964983' post='1979298']
I can honestly say re the last video that I haven't seen or heard anything quite like it.

Seems an enthusiastic sort of chap though. Quite like him
[/quote]
Yes, i don't have any problem with him and you can't fault his enthusiasm.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1360956938' post='1979121']
I spent many a happy hour with Andy when I visited Warwick last year. He's one of the most down to earth and likeable guys I've met. He does have a real 'Merikan drawl which I found really infectious.

[/quote]

That doesn't surprise me in the least, and I would hope that if I met I would like him too. I also have no problem believing that he's a seriously good bass player and certainly way better than me.

The same is true (AFAIK) for Nigel Clutterbuck, about whom I've heard lots of good things.

But if I am commenting on a specific YouTube video it makes little sense to comment on all the things he doesn't do or show in that video. Again, as with Clutterbuck and the infamous slapperama.

Seeing as I started all this, I'll explain [i][b]why [/b][/i]I started it.

Someone showed me a photo of a Corvette $$ NT 68 Special and, despite not being a fan of Warwick basses, I thought it was a really great-looking bass so I went looking for it.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.notreble.com/buzz/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Warwick-Corvette-NT-SE-68-620x318.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/12/03/warwick-introduces-corvette-nt-special-edition-68-bass/&h=318&w=620&sz=33&tbnid=vojEkJtRd3KXOM:&tbnh=62&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__KmPqq1BfoGmxwaTyD8oUctQ9yaE=&docid=IY4AMlhO1vquCM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VMUeUan-GOOG4ASCnIGwBQ&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAQ&dur=398

That video by Andy Irvine came up at the first search, so I watched it.

He's certainly doing lots of things with that instrument, but none of them fall into the category that I would define as "playing bass". My definition obviously. Which will be different from many others' obviously.

He's also not demo-ing the bass or explaining anything about it. He's not playing a tune. He's not showing what it's capable of or how flexible it is.

Strangely enough, I wasn't actually trying to be judgmental when I said I thought it was "crap playing". I just couldn't see what he thought that >6-minute video was achieving.

Anyway, if I offended anyone then I do genuinely apologise - that wasn't my intention. I really couldn't believe that anyone actually says things like "[i]I'm going to get down on this bad boy[/i]" except as pretty lame humour.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360963701' post='1979275']
I wonder if this will make you all go out and buy a Warwick Triumph?

[media]http://youtu.be/-7f3XTby1a8[/media]
[/quote]

Like the Corvette, I'd love to know what this bass actually sounded like. Great guy/player or not, he can't demo for toffee!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1360971725' post='1979408']... I just couldn't see what he thought that >6-minute video was achieving....
[/quote]
I agree with pretty much everything in your post, even the bit about Clutterbuck. (An excruciating noise to listen to, but I had a chat with him at the London show last year and he was absolutely lovely).

BUT. Complaining about this video being pointless is like complaining that those "Papa ... Nicole" car adverts from years ago don't tell you anything about the car's spec or what it's like to drive.

We thrive on technical information and details of what the product is like. Most people don't. Even most bass players. I reckon Warwick probably spend enough on marketing to know pretty well who is likely to buy their basses and what will persuade those people.

Edited by mart

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1361006846' post='1979601']
the money is on THAT side of the pond
[/quote]

Possibly because you can't demo a Warwick anywhere other over here easily? Real shame as I love my Rockbass Corvette and would love to try out a whole bunch of more expensive Warwicks (for my one-bass-to-rule-them-all) without having to travel to the one or two shops in the UK that stock them. But that's a bit off-topic.

This type of marketing may be spot on for the US market but over here I think it get the comments seen above! Anyway, anyone seen Guy Pratt demo Ashdown amps? Ever feel like he's doing it a little tongue-in-cheek sometimes? "And this is a volume knob, for turning it up, and down!".

I watched both videos all the way through.

There's one thing I really don't understand. Warwick produces spectacularly well-crafted basses, and their print marketing department produces some very good looking ads in the musical instrument press. So why do they also let these horrible sub-amateur-hour videos out into the public domain? IMO what were looking at should be considered the roughest of rough demos. How about a script written by someone articulate? And using someone who knows about cameras and lights and editing to film and edit it? It's not as though it's impossible to go back and fix/edit things later, so why produce such shoddy rubbish?

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1360956132' post='1979103']
God that was awful. I have no idea what the bass is meant to sound like.
[/quote]

this

would have been nice if he'd bothered to swing the pots around a bit and play in different styles to demonstrate the range of the instrument instead of just dialling his favourite tone and impressing us with his music store chops

Firstly id like to say the bass looks good,i believe its 9700 dollars!! The guy doing the demo is on a self indulgent w***fest,why warwick have sanctioned this is a mystery.I would have liked a proper demo of this bass,could i suggest warwick hand it over to ed friedland?this guy does know how test gear in a mature intelligent way..Just my opinion

Pretty much pointless I believe, apart from a bit of ego stroking.
After 6 minutes I've still no idea what the different sounds from the pickups individually are, if you can blend them how they sound at different ratios of blend & how much sweep there is on the tone pots.
Any missing technical details will be searchable on their site I assume, but to get sound comparisons needs another film or audio clip which negates that one.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361010493' post='1979653']
I watched both videos all the way through.

There's one thing I really don't understand. Warwick produces spectacularly well-crafted basses, and their print marketing department produces some very good looking ads in the musical instrument press. So why do they also let these horrible sub-amateur-hour videos out into the public domain? IMO what were looking at should be considered the roughest of rough demos. How about a script written by someone articulate? And using someone who knows about cameras and lights and editing to film and edit it? It's not as though it's impossible to go back and fix/edit things later, so why produce such shoddy rubbish?
[/quote]

I agree with you in most of what you say but look at the video below, that's not what I would call professionally produced by any means. The difference is that Ed really goes the whole mile in showcasing the instrument and giving you a real taste of it's sonic capabilities.
[media]www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpj2ovc4dk[/media]

Edited by Mcgiver69

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1361014077' post='1979731']
I agree with you in most of what you say but look at the video below, that's not what I would call professionally produced by any means. The difference is that Ed really goes the whole mile in showcasing the instrument and giving you a real taste of it's sonic capabilities.
[media]www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpj2ovc4dk[/media]
[/quote]

That was a much better demo of a bass. And after you do all the stuff Ed did, then you can do a bit of show-boating. :)