Why become a member? ×

Nevermind --lol

Lowender

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1360681380' post='1974512']
I'm contemplating starting a thread 'Jamerson: If He Were Alive Today He'd Be Getting Lessons From Flea'. Just to distract from the Beatles thread (and ths one).
[/quote]

That Les Claypool certainly could have shown him a thing or two mind.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1360681224' post='1974509']
Having just contributed to a thread concerning the overall subjectivity involved in music it seems unfortunately ironic that you're attempting to cause more commotion on the board with this given subject.
[/quote]

Yes. Stirring up a hornets nest comes to mind.

Improvisation is what it is, made up as you go along. Sometimes it works really well, others it's just awful and most of the time it's just OK. I'm a big fan of Gary Willis' playing. Even he, as a master of the instrument, doesn't quite do it for me every time. The videos on youtube are only a few from JP's entire career, cut short as it was.

Post a video of his 'bad' playing

From what I can recall, he is pretty precise and made a style pretty much his own.

I was never that convinced with his Acoustic amp set-up through a big 18" but that apart, he sounded good...and certainly better than a whole host of his contempories.

It is like a lot of things... he was a standard of his day..it might not be so very great now as things move on but in context back then, there weren't many who could get close.... IMO.
IIRC, it was either Stanley or Jaco in the electric camp in the mid 70's..
Ditto Hendrix, etc etc etc

Are we addressing 'live' sound, or 'studio' sound..? Joni Mitchell's 'Hejira' (among others...) seems pretty well tops, to me, for studio. There are several 'live' Jaco Youtubes, though, where it's pretty painful; some of the playing is 'special', too.
To coin a phrase, and simply imho: 'When it was good, it was very, very good; when it was bad it was rotten'.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360679439' post='1974460']
Just thought I'd bring up a point about the subjectivity of music because, well, it's a discussion board. But some people are opposed to that so not to offend them, I removed the thread.
[/quote]

Mate, pick your toys up and don't be a bell end. Your OP was deliberately inflammatory, and neither in an original or interesting way. There have been loads of threads like this and they don't ask or answer any interesting questions.

Just thought I'd bring up a point about the subjectivity of music because, well, it's a discussion board. But some people are opposed to that so not to offend them, I removed the thread.
[/quote]

People can't help you if you don't post your Computer spec in your sig.
XP or W7/8 ? Mac...? Duo Core or Quad core ?
How much RAM....?
Are you using your on board sound card ? or a USB Audio Interface ?
What nearfields ? or are you using headphones ?
Because this stuff makes a big difference when listening to Bass sounds/Music.
Hope this all helps while listening to Jaco.

Garry

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360698382' post='1975019']
Mate, pick your toys up and don't be a bell end. Your OP was deliberately inflammatory, and neither in an original or interesting way. There have been loads of threads like this and they don't ask or answer any interesting questions.
[/quote] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When i was a newbie here i started athread about Macca as a bass player as i had never encountered anyone who said he was an influence. It went epic in length( Fnurr fnurr) and tits up with insults in the end. So when i saw that beatles thread i stayed away. Looks like i was right!

Also i mentioned in a thread a couple of weeks ago that since the new year there seems to be a little more negativity than usual, but people said....YOU'RE WRONG, SHUT THE f*** UP, well maybe not but it was alluded to that it hadn't!

[/quote]

I'm sorry I missed the original post. This is a relatively free and open forum, and find it a shame you felt the need to remove it. However reading some of the responses without the context of the original topic is quite amusing :)

[quote name='Jah Wibble' timestamp='1360703316' post='1975173']
Awwwww man! Thought the Pastorious Police removed the thread and now I can't jump in cause I'm late and it looks bait!
Aghhhhhhhhh!
[/quote]
You thought wrong by the looks of it. You don't have to 'jump' but you could still say what you wanted to say. Can't really see your problem.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360698382' post='1975019']
[/quote]'

Nonsense. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it inflammatory. It was meant to be a discussion/debate but I realize that puts some peoples shorts in a twist so I let it drop.