Why become a member? ×

Refin thread!

Evil Undead

Inspired by Tom, mcnach and charic, I thought I'd start a refin thread.

Please post your refin projects, I wanna seeeeee!

Here are the two that I've done, one bass and one guitar. Neither very good but I thought I'd have some fun with them, and I did.

Top one is an Aria STB-J, used to be 3TS with a white pickguard, got it for £28 at Crack Converters.
Second is a knackered and unplayable Encore electric guitar, got it for £15 on eBay.

[IMG]http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a407/ImaginaryEvil/Instruments/SDC10401-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a407/ImaginaryEvil/Snapbucket/image_0001Yh.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1360604520' post='1973205']
Started out life as a natural body with aged tint, as much as I loved the look of this I had to move it on as it was sooooo darn heavy.

[attachment=127306:P1010903 low.jpg]

[attachment=127307:P1010908 low.jpg]
[/quote]

Oooooo - that's nice....

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1360662412' post='1974039']
So guys how would you go about painting artwork onto a guitar/bass ?

The reason I ask is that my mate has been hassling me for years to paint a guitar for him but I have no idea how I would do it.
[/quote]

I've only done the one, but I can offer what little info I have... Can't guarantee it's right though :)

I just sanded until the poly was Matt, primed, sprayed the back and sides of the guitar and then used acrylics straight on to the primer on the front. Turned out well I think (apart from my lack of painting talent haha)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1360664154' post='1974074']
I've only done the one, but I can offer what little info I have... Can't guarantee it's right though :)

I just sanded until the poly was Matt, primed, sprayed the back and sides of the guitar and then used acrylics straight on to the primer on the front. Turned out well I think (apart from my lack of painting talent haha)
[/quote]
Nice one mate, thanks for this

The guitar in question is a yellow Les-Paul style that we was thinking of fixing up & my mate wants me to do some of my artwork on it. If it's easy to do I think I may go for it. its just doing the finish afterwards that was bothering me.

Edited by fumps

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1360598271' post='1973046']

[/quote]Gosh that's lovely!

My own Ibby refin (or more correctly strip back)

Before [IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/Ibby.jpg[/IMG]

After [IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/P1080146.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1360682825' post='1974556']

Nice one mate, thanks for this

The guitar in question is a yellow Les-Paul style that we was thinking of fixing up & my mate wants me to do some of my artwork on it. If it's easy to do I think I may go for it. its just doing the finish afterwards that was bothering me.
[/quote]

If it helps more, I used plastikote stuff for the back and sides - the primer was their "primer super" aerosol, and the overcoat was the fast drying enamel in the small aerosol. I didn't put a finish on the back and sides because enamel paint shouldn't chip too easily.

I can't remember what acrylics I used for the artwork but they were bog standard from hobby craft or somewhere like that. And I used a brush-on Matt varnish from the hardware store to go over the top of the front.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1360683733' post='1974586']
If it helps more, I used plastikote stuff for the back and sides - the primer was their "primer super" aerosol, and the overcoat was the fast drying enamel in the small aerosol. I didn't put a finish on the back and sides because enamel paint shouldn't chip too easily.

I can't remember what acrylics I used for the artwork but they were bog standard from hobby craft or somewhere like that. And I used a brush-on Matt varnish from the hardware store to go over the top of the front.
[/quote]
Belting mate
Cheers for this, because the guitar is yellow I was thinking of just going for a matt black finish & then do my artwork on that. I'm not sure yet as I've never painted a guitar before. should be interesting anyway !

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1360687360' post='1974707']

Belting mate
Cheers for this, because the guitar is yellow I was thinking of just going for a matt black finish & then do my artwork on that. I'm not sure yet as I've never painted a guitar before. should be interesting anyway !
[/quote]

Please make a thread on here when you do, I'd love to have a nosy :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1360604520' post='1973205']
Started out life as a natural body with aged tint, as much as I loved the look of this I had to move it on as it was sooooo darn heavy.

[attachment=127306:P1010903 low.jpg]

[attachment=127307:P1010908 low.jpg]
[/quote]

That...is....absolutely....GORGEOUS! :gas: :gas: :gas:

[font=Calibri]I always wanted this bass, it sold 3 months before I joined the Internet!!!, I would have bought it too[/font]

[font=Calibri][/font]

[font=Calibri]Was never going to use my 2007 Customshop (which I bought NEW) to do a copy[/font]

[font=Calibri][/font]

[font=Calibri]I managed to find a MK1 USA Widow bass in Singapore[/font]
[font=Calibri]it got damaged after this picture, hence the silver edgeing in the next one[/font]

[font=Calibri][/font]

[font=Calibri]I didn't get it from Singapore, but a Scottish bloke did, I got it from him after the edgeing was added[/font]

[font=Calibri]The one on the Left[/font]

[font=Calibri][/font]

[font=Calibri]So, off to Chris Eccleshall[/font]

[font=Calibri]Minus Paint[/font]

[font=Calibri][/font]

[font=Calibri]New Headplate[/font]

[font=Calibri][/font]

[font=Calibri]Handcut 3mm Brass pieces (cut by me and my fingers), then Chromed[/font]

[font=Calibri][/font]

[font=Calibri]New Bridge, New, never used 1980's Grover Titan Tuners supplied by me[/font]

[font=Calibri][/font]

[font=Calibri]The inlays and Logo were also sourced by me[/font]

[font=Calibri]I know I didn't do a lot of the refurb, but I did cut all the brass[/font]

Edited by Lorne