Why become a member? ×

Customer Service at The Gallery

Roland Rock

I found myself in north London this weekend with a few hours to spare, so made a trip to Camden to check out The Gallery. I'm not really in the market for gear at the moment, but may be this year, and also thought it might be interesting to try the Dingwall Super P to feel what the fanned frets are like.

I really felt that the member of staff there found me as an annoyance, answering questions in a short manner, no small talk, no offers to try either of the instruments that I was showing interest in, not even any eye contact. I didn't feel comfortable asking to play the Dingwall in this environment, so eventually left, mumbling an awkward "thanks, bye" on my way out (no reply)

Is this the norm? or maybe I look like a penniless time waster!
It really put me off the place, and when I do buy more gear, it certainly won't be top of my list of places to go. A bit of a disappointment :-(

I've been to many music shops in my time, and I can safely say this has never happened to me before! If it did I certainly wouldn't be happy to spend my money there. I've only ever bought one bass in an actual real world shop, but if I've had good service I still end up buying other things like strings, straps, cables, fast fret, etc.

They probably do get a lot of time wasters, and people who just want to play about with expensive gear for free. But it's still not good form to treat all prospective customers the same way as they could easily get more business by being more patient, friendly, helpful... You know, standard customer service type stuff.

Yup. Me too.
1st and last visit on my birthday last year.
My wife was appalled at the non-existent service . I was just kind of unsurprised in a resigned sort of way.
Suppose we should be grateful that they let us in at all.

God I miss the Wapping Bass Centre.
Grant and Nick used to simply drain my wallet/bank account/s, and if it ever went wrong, Chris would fix it in a jiffy.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

There have been other threads along these lines. I felt a bit ignored when I went in a few years back. I have got to know the guys there better subsequently. The tattoo'd guy you are referring to is Alex, the shop manager. He is actually a really nice guy when you get to know him but there are a lot of tyre kickers who come to the shop and I think that sometimes shows in his attitude. Really sorry you had a cr@p experience

I bought a bass at the Gallery, about 2 months ago. They were really good to me. I went through all the basses at the shop to make sure I was buying the right one for me. I think it was Martin that served me on my 2nd visit - longest visit.

Alex was ok with me too on my first visit. Although I did go in there saying "I've got a Corvette to trade..."

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1360532971' post='1972017']
There have been other threads along these lines. I felt a bit ignored when I went in a few years back. I have got to know the guys there better subsequently. The tattoo'd guy you are referring to is Alex, the shop manager. He is actually a really nice guy when you get to know him but there are a lot of tyre kickers who come to the shop and I think that sometimes shows in his attitude. Really sorry you had a cr@p experience
[/quote]
Last time I went there I was talking to Alex and made it quite clear that I was doing nothing more than tyre kicking (thru I did buy a cheap stand) and when I asked about a Fodera they had there he handed me a lead and said 'plug it in mate'!

I've never had a problem there at all...

Edited by peteb

I first went there in the late '90s, have bought two very nice basses there - gave Martin my wants list & he phoned me when something suitable came in. Have sold through the Gallery too. The experience I have had is the opposite to the OP's. Martin and Alex have been a pleasure to deal with.

Maybe it's me!
What I forgot to say was that for most of the time, I was the only customer in the shop, which should have been more conducive to a chatty exchange between enthusiasts, but instead, because of Alex's frosty manner, just made for a really uncomfortable and awkward atmosphere.

Mixed feelings, Martin built me a SEI. Long gone in financially challenged times.
Two weeks ago, emailed them re Lakland 44-51. On price match. They were advertising them at £1049, Guitar Guitar at £699. Asked Bass Gallery if they would price match as would prefer to buy from them.
Reply from Alex was they had none in stock. strange as they were advertised as in stock, top of the Lakland list of in stock products! Oh, and they still are.
Mind it was the day before Geddys Nose's Alembic Epic came up and the rest is history.
Still, poor show from The Bass Gallery.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1360533194' post='1972024']
I just had a look on their website. Prices are a bit ambitious :blink:
[/quote] Not true in all cases, there are a few basses on there cheaper than you would find them in the basschat sales forum....
[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1360533415' post='1972035']
Last time I went there I was talking to Alex and made it quite clear that I was doing nothing more than tyre kicking (thru I did buy a cheap stand) and when I asked about a Fodera they had there he handed me a lead and said 'plug it in mate'!

I've never had a problem there at all...
[/quote] I got the impression that they must get a lot of idiots in (infact one came in while I was there) but chatted briefly to the guy and he warmed up a bit. Some people just don't do small chat and small talk (and for non londoners everyone seems unfriendly!) so I wouldn't hold that agianst them. I went in and asked to play something (cheaper) and genuinly think I could have asked to play anything. If you don't ask... then you don't get.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360534004' post='1972053'] I went in and asked to play something (cheaper) and genuinly think I could have asked to play anything. If you don't ask... then you don't get.
[/quote]There is that. There's nothing more annoying than overkeen shop assistants. A lot of folk just like to be left to it. The gallery's been there a long time and must be doing something right to be still trading when a lot of guitar shops are dying out.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1360533945' post='1972049']
Maybe it's me!
What I forgot to say was that for most of the time, I was the only customer in the shop, which should have been more conducive to a chatty exchange between enthusiasts, but instead, because of Alex's frosty manner, just made for a really uncomfortable and awkward atmosphere.
[/quote]
I think that it is probably more a reflection on Alex than you - he can be very friendly but you are not the first person to say this about him...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1360533945' post='1972049']
Maybe it's me!
[/quote] nah if you work in a shop, especially a closed door shop like the gallery just having one customer is way way more akward - you don't want to be too pushy or sell, you don't know the person or what they are into or anything - or know what they are after - for something like basses if it were me I would be happier letting the customer have a look and strike up a convo if they wanted- expecting the poor fella to do a starbucks style 'how are you, whats your name' with every idiot who comes off the street is unfair. Yeah they could be better at the banter - but they don't trade on the banter.
[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1360533983' post='1972052']
Mixed feelings, Martin built me a SEI. Long gone in financially challenged times.
Two weeks ago, emailed them re Lakland 44-51. On price match. They were advertising them at £1049, Guitar Guitar at £699. Asked Bass Gallery if they would price match as would prefer to buy from them.
Reply from Alex was they had none in stock. strange as they were advertised as in stock, top of the Lakland list of in stock products! Oh, and they still are.
Mind it was the day before Geddys Nose's Alembic Epic came up and the rest is history.
Still, poor show from The Bass Gallery.
[/quote] Hi small independent shop, one of your products was bought en mass by a major chain store competitor so they can offer it cheaper, and they've had their stock for ages to slashed the prices to try and shift it.... will you match that price by lopping off 30% off the price (ie your profit) for me? - no, you don't have any in stock, oh poor show

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360534004' post='1972053']
I got the impression that they must get a lot of idiots in (infact one came in while I was there) but chatted briefly to the guy and he warmed up a bit. Some people just don't do small chat and small talk (and for non londoners everyone seems unfriendly!) so I wouldn't hold that agianst them. I went in and asked to play something (cheaper) and genuinly think I could have asked to play anything. If you don't ask... then you don't get.
[/quote]
I think that is the heart of the matter. I've only met Alex twice but I don't think that he is naturally chatty but ok once you do talk to him.

A lot of people find Londoners either overbearing or unfriendly, but if you live there it just seems normal....