Why become a member? ×

pink floyd and syd barratt

slobluesine

Couldn't get into them with Syd. However, i did have a few Floyd albums but sold them.Pointless listening to them now, as we know them inside out.
BTW , I hate The Wall - hugely overrated imho. (comfortably numb is good )
Just thought of a compacrison , with Iron Maiden!
If both of tnese bands kept onto the same frontmen , they wouldn't have been as big.)

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1360427198' post='1970213']
ffs someone needs to get the floyd into therapy and help them all get over Syd Barrett hey, what a feckin yawn they all are with him.

i'm not a floyd fan so dont get what all the fuss is with SB, what exactly was so great about him?
[/quote]

Well, and this is just a wild guess, but I'm thinking they actually knew him, worked with him and can acknowledge the influence he had on them all from first hand experience, whereas you know nothing about him so it's not entirely surprising you don't understand all the fuss. ;)

....i'm not a floyd fan so dont get what all the fuss is with SB, what exactly was so great about him?....
[/quote]

I don 't like PF much but if you look at the music that was being played at the time you can see that PF was heading in a new direction.

That was because Syd was an original.

As they all admitted, his ideas took Floyd from an average band to a ground breaking, great band.

That's what was so great about him.

ffs someone needs to get the floyd into therapy and help them all get over Syd Barrett hey, what a feckin yawn they all are with him.

i'm not a floyd fan so dont get what all the fuss is with SB, what exactly was so great about him?
[/quote]
Perhaps seeing a best friend and band member die on the inside because of drugs was maybe to big a thing to just "get over" !!

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1360429230' post='1970299']
have to say Rick Wright (rip) was a really underated keyboard player, did he do any solo stuff outside of the floyd?
[/quote]
Two solo albums: 'Wet Dream' (1978) and 'Broken China' (1996) and various albums with other people including Syd Barrett's 'Barrett'.

[/quote]
Without Barrett there never would be any Pink Floyd.

But that's exactly what there was, Pink Floyd without Barrett.

Artistic bereavement.

New Order probably had a similar experience.

Rick Wright did do some solo stuff and one album with Dave Harris of 80s band Fashion under the name Zee. Nothing of any note though.

As bigd1 said about Syd Barrat.

Some may not have ever liked Pink Floyd but don't forget that the last tour they did in 1994 out grossed Michael Jackson's tour of the same year.

Edited by BassBus

[/quote]

I'm not going to help you with your query because of the harshness of your mean-spirited opening statement.

There seems to be an attitude around that gilmour foisted sb out of the band.
However it's just not the case. Gilmour was a good friend of syds and was asked to play the guitar parts to cover syd as he was increasingly unable to play consistently.
As was mentioned before, syd withdrew himself from the band due to his increased drug use. He would show up and just be there. One day the band just didn't pick him up on their way to a gig.
By this point he seemed to be more of a liability to them.
They definitely seemed to be feeling very guilty, yet comfortable with the fortunes they all made without him in the band.

[/quote]

listen to the music and decide if you like it...if you don't then there's no 'fuss' to explain.

as it happens i think pink floyd were at their best when syd barrett was with them

just came across this... [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFYWKgkyZM[/media]

NEVER knew the Floyd could be THIS great :o

Crosby/Stills on BV's, Steve Di Stanislao on drums (nice drummer...i think he plays with CSN) Guy Pratt on Bass. Dave Gilmour's playing is just f***in awesome, and his vocals...WOW!!

lighting and sound is stunning too,

Edited by slobluesine