Why become a member? ×

Going on my first tour. Suggestions/tips/help?

pendingrequests

So at the end of February I will be stepping out of the studio and heading out with The 1930s (https://www.facebook.com/the1930smusic) on a short tour on the mainland of the UK.

Like good old fashioned rock and roll, accommodation will be limited to floors/bedrooms/couches of friends.

Obviously two of the main things I am keeping in mind is:

1. Travelling light
2. Keeping warm

Any help in any area, not just what I should bring, but general advice would be very much appreciated. I don't want to break any friendships :)

Travelling light - think disposable . Take cheap underwear with you and throw it away when it gets dirty and buy more cheap replacements from Primark ect .

Keeping warm - get yourself some thermal stuff . My dad bought me a thermal t shirt , long sleeve thermal top and some thermal long johns for Xmas and I cannot believe how much difference they make when I wear them under my clothes when the weather is as bitterly cold as it has been recently . I hate the cold and I honestly cannot understand how I managed without these warm undergarments for so long . You can get them cheap online and they make all the difference between being freezoing and miserable and nice and warm .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1360254689' post='1967500']
Travelling light - think disposable . Take cheap underwear with you and throw it away when it gets dirty and buy more cheap replacements from Primark ect .

Keeping warm - get yourself some thermal stuff . My dad bought me a thermal t shirt , long sleeve thermal top and some thermal long johns for Xmas and I cannot believe how much difference they make when I wear them under my clothes when the weather is as bitterly cold as it has been recently . I hate the cold and I honestly cannot understand how I managed without these warm undergarments for so long . You can get them cheap online and they make all the difference between being freezoing and miserable and nice and warm .
[/quote]

Yeh I have two pairs of long johns which are the first to enter the tour bag :)

I know, I really can't stand the cold either, think i'll look for thermal socks as well.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1360261937' post='1967745']
Try not to drink too much, and eat as healthily as possible.

Having been on tour and done neither, you certainly notice it towards the end.
[/quote]

Yes, watch out on all the take-away junk food - I did about a 15 date stint as TM to a band. We got meal money from most of the promoters instead of the hot meal they were supposed to supply, and the only thing it would cover or was nearby would always be Fish & Chips or kebab etc. I ended up with gastritis which I wouldn't wish on Michael Gove!

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1360251685' post='1967423']
So at the end of February I will be stepping out of the studio and heading out with The 1930s (https://www.facebook.com/the1930smusic) on a short tour on the mainland of the UK.

Like good old fashioned rock and roll, accommodation will be limited to floors/bedrooms/couches of friends.

Obviously two of the main things I am keeping in mind is:

1. Travelling light
2. Keeping warm

Any help in any area, not just what I should bring, but general advice would be very much appreciated. I don't want to break any friendships :)
[/quote]

Invest in a copy of Martin Atkins book 'Tour smart and break the band'. Amazon have it at about £13 I think and it's a brilliant book : covers all you need to know and in a very 'no bullshit' fashion, including how to survive on tour, particularly if you are doing it on the very cheap.

Give yourself a routine for getting up and doing something before you need to be at the gig.
Otherwise you'll slip into getting up later and later and feeling like sh*t all the time.
You need a reason to say no to that 5 th drink.
Be nice to the techies and they'll take care to get you the sound you need.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1360262300' post='1967753']
I ended up with gastritis which I wouldn't wish on Michael Gove!
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1360269566' post='1967917']
I would.
[/quote]
Trust you to pick up on that - it was meant as a passing quip, not a thread derail <_< anyway, I'd rather send Gove a certain Swedish bass player to discuss the teaching of music in UK schools - that's something he really deserves! :yarr:

It's all been said really but it's worth repeating, always take your basses into your hotel (or other) room with you no matter how inconvenient to dig them out of the van after the gig. Watch what you eat, it's tempting to go the junk food route when you're really tired (and no-one has yet mentioned just how tired you'll be after all the travelling and very late nights) but be strict.

I started touring as a stick thin beanpole but found the constant flow of free booze (post gig I should add), hotel breakfasts and buffets a little too tempting.

Jeans, don't have to be washed they are designed to take the wear of up to a few weeks non-washing! Keep your gear close to you, as often as possible! That stuff is your life! Also get receipts for EVERYTHING, that way you can claim it all back if you put it through a business account, you are working but you are having fun!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1360276239' post='1968112']
Jeans, don't have to be washed they are designed to take the wear of up to a few weeks non-washing! K
[/quote]

Don't believe that " change your underpants everyday " propganda either . That myth was started by washing powder manufacturers . With sensible use and a little bit of care a pair of pants can last almost as long as a pair of jeans without being washed . Even established touring bands with a major label behind them don't have the luxury of unlimited clean underpants on demand . I know this to be fact .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1360280996' post='1968180']
Don't believe that " change your underpants everyday " propganda either . That myth was started by washing powder manufacturers . With sensible use and a little bit of care a pair of pants can last almost as long as a pair of jeans without being washed . Even established touring bands with a major label behind them don't have the luxury of unlimited clean underpants on demand . I know this to be fact .
[/quote]
A shower and a pair of fresh under-crackers each day will help you feel good about yourself!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1360261937' post='1967745']
Try not to drink too much, and eat as healthily as possible.

Having been on tour and done neither, you certainly notice it towards the end.
[/quote]

Yeh definitely sticking to this. Apparently last time, they were in McDonald's for most meals, which I am certainly not doing.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1360269477' post='1967914']
Give yourself a routine for getting up and doing something before you need to be at the gig.
Otherwise you'll slip into getting up later and later and feeling like sh*t all the time.
You need a reason to say no to that 5 th drink.
[/quote]

Good idea, thanks man.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1360273723' post='1968043']
Oh, and plan the driving so you're not doing any of that too tired. Lots of motorway miles after a gig are not good, and don't think coffee, pro-plus or those horrible energy drinks will do any good. (sorry, sounding like a nearly 49 year old) B)
[/quote]

Well thankfully we have a driver, so I've dodged that bullet. And I don't drink coffee or enjoy energy drinks, so this may be the most productive tour ever! :)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1360314775' post='1968359']
A shower and a pair of fresh under-crackers each day will help you feel good about yourself!
[/quote]

Feel the same way! especially after a night of sleeping on a floor :)

Very easy to overeat and over drink - don't avoid, but, as Clint Eastwood said 'A mans got to know his limits'.

Nothing worse than playing a gig and feeling bloated and hung over......

Keep your gear with you; make sure that it is not dropped knocked or damaged in transit.

Laundrettes are your friend and with the advent of smartphones, easy to find. An hour in the laundrette sorting out you clothes is like getting into fresh bedsheets - just make you feel good, also, you carry less. And an hours downtime with a book.....! get your hearing and voice back!

Converse boots - machine washable, you will probably sleep in them at somepoint or have something spilled on them! They also fold flat.

Salad and fruit help to establish a bowel routine, Fibre y'see, know your 'times'......Nothing worse than being in a van with a load of blokes and nowhere near a bog!

Bananas are a better energy kick than Mars bars.......

Take a belt with you! Weight can change if you are on the road for a while, I tended to lose weight; but I was lucky enough to be on a Boy Band tour with a sh1tload of dancing girls.....a mind blowing shagfest!

If you wear glasses; get daily contacts if you can.

Edited by aende