Why become a member? ×

Does anyone even look at the GIG page on Basschat?

Spoombung

Just thought I'd ask because my band did about 10 gigs towards the end of last year and I posted them all up in the gig section. I didn't get a single Basschatter coming... along even though I got plenty of interest and nice comments when people viewed the videos in other threads. Anecdotal, I know. I'm cheerfully assuming I'm making deeply unpalatable music and you're unlikely to come along anway. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt but...

There's a lot of chat/threads here about what was on Jools Holland's show last night and TV shows in general but not a lot about gigs. And there's also a lot of moaning about poorly attended gigs and the punters who seem incapable of getting off their arses and leaving the house to go and see live music - and lot of speculation as to why that might be (because they used to be there) etc.

Could it be you're all watching telly instead, you lazy bunch of feckers...? I'm just guessing. ;)

I get an uncomfortable itch if I ever step outside General Discussion or Off Topic :unsure:

Truth be told, I rarely check the gig secton, as I could do with saving money rather than going on nights out. The occasions when I do plan to go out something else always seems to come up - I remember telling one basschatter a few months ago that I'd head to one of his gigs only to be asked the night before if I could work down in Grimsby that night.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1359582644' post='1957168']
Basschatters: if you go to another Basschatter's gig stand up and introduce yourself. Or wear a red carnation at least.
[/quote]
I will be wearing a white tuxedo with red carnation and will be standing under the clock with a copy of The Times under my arm. :rolleyes:

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1359582423' post='1957157']
I remember telling one basschatter a few months ago that I'd head to one of his gigs only to be asked the night before if I could work down in Grimsby that night.
[/quote]

A gig or a fish-filleting in Grimsby? Difficult decision.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1359582644' post='1957168']
Basschatters: if you go to another Basschatter's gig stand up and introduce yourself. Or wear a red carnation at least.
[/quote]
I must admit, I'm guilty of having seen other Basschatter's bands and just standing quietly in the audience. Mind you, I play in a band with another Basschatter, and we almost never mention Basschat, as though it were Fight Club or something! Possibly out of a fear that the rest of the band would giggle at us...

I don't really look in that section much. If I scroll down too far I'm scared I'll end up in the basses for sale section and find myself with a considerably thinner wallet and a spare bass I don't need.

I know a basschatter or two has been to see me, unfortunately I'm usually too busy running around at gigs (one of us in JWP has to be organised at gigs) so don't really get much time to speak to people. If anyone does ever come to one of my gigs, be sure to shout up and I'll definitely have a bit of a natter when possible! I've also gigged with a few bassists that are on here too which is cool since there's usually more time to speak between soundchecks and the actual gig.

what with gigging, rehearsing, the occassional show and the odd night on the lash , I would be on thin ice running around to see to many BCer gigs , having said that , I have been to see a couple that were local and nearly got to see one while on holiday, there are a few I would love to go and see that seem waaaaay off the beam , but the logistics often don't work out.
I think I need someone to explain what the wife and kids will enjoy if I take them to Wakefield or Nottingham for a night out :rolleyes: