Why become a member? ×

sh*te Basses - Discuss

WhoNeedsYou

any make of bass can be bad, as well as good!!!! bad basses by design for me would be the likes of thunderbird and other gibson basses, it is all down to your own taste. a lot of guys hate Rickenbacker's i love them. i think it is what you are used to. you know as soon as you pick a bass up if it is right for you. enjoy !!!

I bought a Tanglewood Rebel 5-string bass in 1999 (well, my Dad did) and never quite got on with it. It had a very weak sound; little punch, dodgy input jack and a thumpy A string despite a few changes of strings. Certainly it was my least favourite bass of the seven I've owned, and the only one I've sold. However, If I had it now, I'd make better of it. I knew nothing about set up back then.

Worst bass I've ever played was a Harley Benton of sorts with a PJ layout, and it just redefined horrible. I've played an Epi Thunderbird too and it was a grim experience too. The worst bass I've owned was probably a chinese Tokai Jazz. It wasn't particularly bad, but I just couldn't get on with it, it did feel quite cheap and it didn't really last that long before I moved onto fretted Corvettes, then it got sold within 2 months of buying it!

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1367365311' post='2064857']
any make of bass can be bad, as well as good!!!! bad basses by design for me would be the likes of thunderbird and other gibson basses, it is all down to your own taste. a lot of guys hate Rickenbacker's i love them. i think it is what you are used to. you know as soon as you pick a bass up if it is right for you. enjoy !!!
[/quote]

"bad basses by design" i can see your point. Like you say, all comes down to taste.
I may own 2 but i'm no 'fan boy' by all means but i wouldn't say "sh*t" as an overall statement.

Sh*t basses for me, Encore and Marlin, although good and cheap enough for beginners. f*** me, never known shoddy built instruments like that before, especially the Marlin's.

BSB

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1366714120' post='2056243']
I had a Spector, it looked sh*t, it sounded sh*t, it played sh*t, they are sh*t.
[/quote]

Possibly one of the most ridiculous comments ever on Basschat.....

I had a Spector, it looked sh*t, it sounded sh*t, it played sh*t, they are sh*t.
[/quote] So why the did you bother acquiring it then?

Edited by pst62

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1367661046' post='2068011']
Reported[/quote]
Oh Wayne but now I may get a bollocking off of the powers that be, or worse still banned and my account deleted. How the hell will I cope then?

[/quote]
Wot a crass comment to make on a thread!

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1367664766' post='2068088']

Oh Wayne but now I may get a bollocking off of the powers that be, or worse still banned and my account deleted. How the hell will I cope then?

Wot a crass comment to make on a thread!
[/quote]

On a thread about basses that you think are sh*t?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1367664992' post='2068090']
On a thread about basses that you think are sh*t?
[/quote]
....and like I asked if it was all those things why did you acquire it?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1367669442' post='2068166']

I saw one cheap and wondered what all the fuss was about.
[/quote]

Now now girls.

My worst bass was some epiphone violin thing. Really, really bad. Wouldn't intonate and sounds like Muk garggling fudgecakes made of tarmac.
That being said the Epiphone JC Sig is really nice bass.

I did have a sterling which ad everything that affected the noise broken in some way. Buggared pre, dead pickup and a neck which made butter seem stiff.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1367669442' post='2068166']
I saw one cheap and wondered what all the fuss was about.
[/quote]

There is no fuss about the cheapest ones....

Never owned anything I really hated at the time. Obviously as I've upgraded a fair few times over the years some basses I've owned in recent years have been better than those owned in the past though. Of them all the one I got on with the least was a Spector Legend 5 string which I got as an inexpensive backup. So light it felt like it was made of balsa wood (I know lightweight is something many people look for in a bass but I'd spent too many years playing my bubinga Corvette which weighs slightly more than a baby hippo) and tonally just a bit weak and lacking a bit in bottom end. By no means sh*te and certainly looked the business but just left me cold.
As for worst bass I've played- my mates P shape Rockwood by Hohner. Plywood body, half inch thick gloss varnish on the fingerboard, pickguard seemingly made from old margarine tubs, a bridge that would lacerate your hand if you played with a pick and best of all a tone so dead it sounded like a xylophone!

Worst basses I ever owned were 2 Rickenbacker 4001's & my custom built Jaydee Supernatural.

The Rickenbackers were just shockingly badly made, uncomfortable & sounded like crap & the Jaydee had such an unstable neck that I spent more time adjusting the truss rod than I did actually playing it.

[size="4"]I Had a Washburn I think it was a T-12 It was the 1st bass I ever had just felt cheap and nasty and sounded bad if I had known more about basses I would not have got it kept it about 3 months and sold it that nearly put me off bass playing but its not all the guitars fault obviously I guess my inexperience and poor ability contributed but that bass was horrible in my opinion. [/size]

70's Fender precision, Black maple neck, the action was ridicules, had a new truss rod fitted, still no better, weighed half a ton, crap action, distorted if you raised the pick ups.
The value was in that neck and logo, so it got flatwounded, the rod cranked until it creaked and sold.
You see them change hands for £1500, must be to hang on walls.

Must admit, I haven't found a Spector that I've dug... and I've only played one Warwick which I thought that I could live with... but each to their own. One man's perfect bass is another man's idea of hell.

I am guessing aload of people would hate my basses with my super low actions. I really wanted to like Status basses but had a bad experience with them... but each to their own, like everything.

Same with Rickies. Kinda dig on the looks of them... but playability wise, possibly one of the most dissapointing playing experiences ever.

It's funny really, I've picked up really cheap basses and they have played brilliant and absolute sung... I've picked up the same model elsewhere and I've had a completely experience.

Also... I really like the Hofner violin basses. I don't think they play well... they aren't exactly the best made basses... but would would I like to have one? Hell yeah.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1368397626' post='2076686']
the Jaydee had such an unstable neck that I spent more time adjusting the truss rod than I did actually playing it.
[/quote]

I did some work on a Jaydee recently - I was quite surprised. I had the impression that they would be ridiculously well made, sound amazing etc... but in reality... it was kind of... normal. Far from sh*te but nothing to write home about either.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1368450897' post='2077179']
Also... I really like the Hofner violin basses. I don't think they play well... they aren't exactly the best made basses... but would would I like to have one? Hell yeah.
[/quote]

That's because they sound and record amazingly well whilst managing to remain utterly impractical, especially if you're not a pick player.

Only played a few Spectors before and they don't do it for me, I don't like the looks or sound of them for the most part. People's opinions will differ eh!

Worst basses I've owned, back when I first started, were a Westfield 5 string (Warwick copy), which weighed a tonne, and had the neck profile of a subway train, and a BC Rich Warlock.
In fairness, the Westfield was my first bass, and cost me just 200 quid. It got me started.
There is no excuse for the Warlock, though. Used it for about a month, then sold it for £50 to cash converters!

Happy end to the story, though. I went through a run of Ibanez SR basses, 4, 5 and 6 stringers, which I loved playing (setups done properly!), and have since traded up to a couple of Dingwall ABZ's, in 4 and 5 string flavours. :)