Why become a member? ×

Jason Newstead is back!

I grew upon 80's Metallica and some of their recent stuff is okay too.
I do have a lot of respect for Jason's playing and his Flotsam and Voivod albums were very good.
This track is not the most inventive but it's pretty decent.
Three things really bug me though, the lyric "I'll make the devil sell his soul" is pure cheese and the drummer has "Jason's Back" written on the back of his jacket and lastly the devil horns doesn't work with this type of music.
I can kinda see why Jason's writing didn't make it onto Metallica albums (I thnk he got co-writing credits on three songs in his 14 years in the band).

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1359731250' post='1959542']
I grew upon 80's Metallica and some of their recent stuff is okay too.
I do have a lot of respect for Jason's playing and his Flotsam and Voivod albums were very good.
This track is not the most inventive but it's pretty decent.
Three things really bug me though, the lyric "I'll make the devil sell his soul" is pure cheese and the drummer has "Jason's Back" written on the back of his jacket and lastly the devil horns doesn't work with this type of music.
I can kinda see why Jason's writing didn't make it onto Metallica albums (I thnk he got co-writing credits on three songs in his 14 years in the band).
[/quote]

Yeah, I think it is definitely the devil horns/logo that was very offputting.The guy's pushing 50 , not starting out trying to be Cannibal Corpse or whoever.A bit juvenile.*no offence meant to cannibal corpse etc.*

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1359731250' post='1959542']
[/quote]

I think that was also largely to do with Ulrich and Hetfield keeping such tight control on the creative process. Hammett didn't really get a look in either, and that situation was one of the major issues Jason had with the band at the time. Hetfield wasn't happy with him pursuing other projects outside of Metallica but then wouldn't let him write for them either. Not to decry James' and Lars' writing prowess, mind. James even said that he was sad that Jason had quit when he did, as a team writing effort on St Anger was one of the things that brought the band back together.

I think Jason Newstead is a very good hard rock / metal bass player , but he never seems to have had the best vehicle to display his talents . Metallica always seemed way too dense and thrashy most of the time for him to show off what he could do , albeit with some very notable exceptions such as Enter Sandman , Unforgiven and some of the other more commercial tracks . It would be nice to hear Jason in a bit calmer and more melodic environment like an " old school " hard rock group . He seemed to cope admirably with being in Ozzys band for a time . I think he would really thrive in that kind of an environment .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359746756' post='1959896']
I think Jason Newstead is a very good hard rock / metal bass player , [b]but he never seems to have had the best vehicle to display his talents [/b]. Metallica always seemed way too dense and thrashy most of the time for him to show off what he could do , albeit with some very notable exceptions such as Enter Sandman , Unforgiven and some of the other more commercial tracks . It would be nice to hear Jason in a bit calmer and more melodic environment like an " old school " hard rock group . He seemed to cope admirably with being in Ozzys band for a time . I think he would really thrive in that kind of an environment .
[/quote]

The best vehicle for him to display his talents was Flotsam and Jetsam, he wrote most of the songs on their first two albums and played some great lines on the debut Doomsday for the deceiver.

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1359792333' post='1960306']

The best vehicle for him to display his talents was Flotsam and Jetsam, he wrote most of the songs on their first two albums and played some great lines on the debut Doomsday for the deceiver.
[/quote]
Yeah , can't argue with that ,)

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1359792333' post='1960306']
[/quote]

I remember them . They were a bit relentless too , especially in those days before the Speed Metal Olympics were as developed as they are now . All these bands sound like a right bloody racket aimed at 14 year old boys to me , to be honest with you . I've heard Jason play close up , and he can do so much more than grind out these riffs , it's just a shame he never seems to get the chance . His choice , I suppose . This track is eminently forgettable Metal By Numbers . Could and should do better .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359827181' post='1960894']
I remember them . They were a bit relentless too , especially in those days before the Speed Metal Olympics were as developed as they are now . All these bands sound like a right bloody racket aimed at 14 year old boys to me , to be honest with you . I've heard Jason play close up , and he can do so much more than grind out these riffs , it's just a shame he never seems to get the chance . His choice , I suppose . This track is eminently forgettable Metal By Numbers . Could and should do better .
[/quote]

Agreed. He is pretty damn good in the right band. Solid bass player.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359827181' post='1960894']
[/quote]

I think I am still 14 at heart

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1371050774' post='2109155']
In a surprising turn of events, I find myself with a ticket for tonight's Newsted show at the 100 Club.
[/quote]

Have fun

Did you see this clip, watch from 3.00 onwards NSFW

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JJER1f5-qw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JJER1f5-qw[/url]

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1371107677' post='2109781']
Have fun

Did you see this clip, watch from 3.00 onwards NSFW

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JJER1f5-qw[/media]
[/quote]
wow that could have been worse than it was. I bet the idiot made a speedy exit after that

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1371113306' post='2109865']
wow that could have been worse than it was. I bet the idiot made a speedy exit after that
[/quote]

The crowd do sound rightfully hacked off, surprised someone managed to get onto the stage.
Not that this incident compares to the dimebag incident but it's scary that someone managed to get close enough to knock him off the stage.

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1371118703' post='2109970']
The crowd do sound rightfully hacked off, surprised someone managed to get onto the stage.
Not that this incident compares to the dimebag incident but it's scary that someone managed to get close enough to knock him off the stage.
[/quote]
Yeh the old days of having an open stage to allow stage diving seems like a different world now.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1371104399' post='2109752']
So how was it???
[/quote]

Bloody fantastic it was. I didn't think much of the EP material when I first heard it, but the songs work very well live. Jason is a great front man, continually engaging with the crowd and talkative between songs.

The highlight for me was an incredible blast through Whiplash, and we also got two Motorhead covers as encores - Love Me Like A Reptile and We Are The Road Crew. Snippets of My Friend of Misery and the 'Die! Die!' section of Creeping Death were also played during other songs.

Jason played a couple of his usual Sadowsky J basses throughout (apart from one song he played on guitar) and had his standard deep Motown sound going on. Amps were Ampeg of course, but he seemed to be playing through an Orange 8x10, laying on it's side.

Just a great, fun night of unpretentious, straightforward old school thrash (with a bit of Sabbath thrown in). A tight-as-arseholes band in a glorious, intimate venue. I'm glad I went.

Bravo that man!