Why become a member? ×

Replacing band members.The "Happy" ending.

Les

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1359476636' post='1955339']
It's not just the singer who uses the PA.
the whole band does.
[/quote]

Not always. No other instruments go through it in our band, and we only sometimes use backing vocals. If that were the case, all the amps could be regarded as "band assets".

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1359476172' post='1955331']
To be fair though, I've played with singers who buy the whole PA themselves (and don't charge the band a hire charge!).
[/quote]

Thats great except when the PA they have is sh*te - I wish ours didnt have his own then Id be able to buy the band a decent one ...

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1359478134' post='1955357']
Thats great except when the PA they have is sh*te - I wish ours didnt have his own then Id be able to buy the band a decent one ...
[/quote]

Yeah, there is that. We ended up buying a band one anyway. It's actually quite a complex conundrum isn't it? If we as bass players use cheap gear, nobody really notices (except us). If a singer uses a cheap PA the whole band can sound bad.

Hmmmm..... :rolleyes:

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1359489741' post='1955640']
I know a drummer who actuallys owns a kit!!

But he has a Mazda mx5 and can`t move the kit around. And he had the kit before the car!!
[/quote]

They're very scary beasts drummers. I knew one that bought a hatchback to fit the drum kit in. Then bought a subwoofer for the boot...

Singer got a txt yesterday

"Hi, seen your ad for lead guitar player, love your stuff, got the gear & the skills" singer txt him back and asked him to ring later cos' he was at work. Didn't ring, so I got the number and rang him, went to ansafone, didn't leave a message.

10 mins later I get a txt from him "Hi, who's this ?"
me, it's Les the bass player blah blah blah
him, Hi Les, can I ring you tomorrow, don't feel so good.
Me, no worries mate speak to you tomorrow.

I'm still sat here waiting. Now in fairness the guy could be really ill, but I'm not feeling very fair at the minute. :rolleyes:

On the plus side one of the lads who is coming to audition rang me today and we had a nice grown up conversation. So he's looking ok. :D

In my experience there are a lot of people who like to be in a band so they can tell their friends they're in a band. So they'll call you to sound you out. If you gig regularly, practice to a high standard then that's not really what they want but they can't join a gigging band that actually gigs, they just want one that practices lots, drinks beer, and talks about doing some gigs at some stage, maybe.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1359493503' post='1955754']
In my experience there are a lot of people who like to be in a band so they can tell their friends they're in a band. So they'll call you to sound you out. If you gig regularly, practice to a high standard then that's not really what they want but they can't join a gigging band that actually gigs, they just want one that practices lots, drinks beer, and talks about doing some gigs at some stage, maybe.
[/quote]

Yes! I spent way more time than I should have with a couple of assholes who talked the talk but turned out to be bloody time-wasters. A real shame actually, because they were [i]exceptionally [/i]good musicians. I really don't get why you would go to all the trouble to learn to play, buy proper gear, work on material, recruit band members, spend money on transport and rehearsing yet have no intention of gigging whatsoever!!

Is it [i]really [/i]just so they can tell their friends they're in a band??

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359494337' post='1955769']
Yes! I spent way more time than I should have with a couple of assholes who talked the talk but turned out to be bloody time-wasters. A real shame actually, because they were [i]exceptionally [/i]good musicians. I really don't get why you would go to all the trouble to learn to play, buy proper gear, work on material, recruit band members, spend money on transport and rehearsing yet have no intention of gigging whatsoever!!

Is it [i]really [/i]just so they can tell their friends they're in a band??
[/quote]

We've done this loads of times. There are many Bassplayers here who freely admit that they're happy playing only music they like at rehearsals with friends over a few beers. There are a few who will occasionally venture as far as their local once every few weeks to play a session.

I've no problem with that at all. In fact my 'second' band seem quite happy to do that. They've all reached an age where they have busy job or are retired and just can't be bothered with all the hassle gigging brings. I wish they'd been a bit more up front when I joined though. Then I wouldn't be playing in two bands ;)

People should be more honest with themselves and their band mates about what they actually want. Although I'm not that sure they do know themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Rehearsal room booked for Monday and Tuesday, 6 guitarists lined up, oh wait, sorry that was before the weekend now there's only 4. :angry:

I quote

"Hi Les..Well after learning your songs & getting the sounds right & really looking forward to the prospect of playing in your band,I'm sorry to say that due to something that has arisen yesterday i would not be able to commit myself to you're band so rather than mess you about i will not attend on Monday."

In fairnes this guy drove 60 miles to watch us and was as keen as mustard, so you never know what's happened.

"Hi les really sorry to do this but my wife's not as enthusiastic as me about playing again huge row so ill have to decline pal"

I never saw that one coming, must add check with your missus that you can actually be in a band.

The internet in Wigan has crashed cos' of me emailing stuff to so many wannabees and the band have put me on suicide watch cos' I'm so uptight with it all.

This is my last band, I swear I'm going to treat myself to a peaceful retirement when it's over. ;)

I wouldn't approach with adverts myself..I'd get out there and tap the guys that I thought might work.

The advantages are that you know what they can do...and they actually do work, rather than talk about it
and most players out playing need or want more work.
they may be oo busy of course, which bring other problems.
The other downside is that just as you don't really want to be bugged by everyone and anyone without credentials, then they may see your approach to them as the same.
Depends how well you can sell yourself....but I would stay away from adverts for dreamers..
If a player is any good... likley you'll have heard of them or their ex-bands.
If they don't have that..( credentials, reputation ) it is up to them to get it pretty quick.

It is now the first thing they teach at bandschool :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1359456621' post='1954914']
It is par for the course when looking for new band members.
I think it boils down to people thinking they are better than they are.
Then when it comes to the crunch, they get cold feet.
[/quote]
I'm the total opposite when it comes to replying to these adverts, people say I am going to be ok for the job, then I lose confidence, tell them I wouldn't be any good, then usually end up trying out anyway out of pure guilt & getting in anyway.

Update

1 out of 3 guitarists last night, nice bloke, not for us.

Today was looking better.

All 3 rang to confirm. Then I got this, by fu**in txt, the tw*t :angry: One hour and six minutes before his audition.

"Hi Les, sorry it's such short notice but I'm not gunna be able to make it tonight, sorry to have wasted your time, and best of luck with your search. Kev"

He was booked in for 7pm. I got his txt at5.54pm.

The other 2 turned up and had learned the stuff, one was ok (I've actually known him for years) but not right. The last one was fu**in great. Think he's the one but to be honest I've just lost faith and am waiting for him to either say no, or say yes, then turn into some weirdo.

This is pants. It's not what being in a band was meant to be.

1969 Fender Mustang and a 1979 pre EB Stingray coming soon to the for sale section I think.

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to find a drummer at the moment & getting thoroughly fed up with it...

So far we have had the following:

1) Liked the songs on our website & the philosophy of the band, but didn't think we were right from him when we asked him to learn 5 of these songs for an audition.

2) Really good drummer who was also a really nice bloke - auditioned but decided to rejoin his old band.

3) Guy who actually didn't seem to know where he lived, as when we answered his ad looking for a band, he announced that he lived in a town quite some distance from where his ad said he was based.

4) A 13 year old girl (we are in our 40s & 50s).

5) Someone who didn't realise how busy they were and should never have advertised that they were looking for a band.

6) Someone who didn't realise how far away we were despite our location being in our ad.

7) Someone who got in touch because they loved the idea of drumming for us and liked what we did, but cancelled the audition because they had personal circumstances that prevented them from joining a band.

There were more, but you get the idea I'm sure.

How hard can it be?

Guest bassman7755

On the flip side, as someone whos done a fair few blind auditions over the years, probably 50% of the bands you turn up to trial for are complete no hopers - I know things are going to go badly when I end up having to teach them the songs they were supposed to be testing me on. Have heard some horror stories of about my fellow auditionees over the years, like the (aleged) jazz bassist who turns up to trial for a rock covers band and couldnt play paranoid.

seems to me a lot of these people that duck out of auditions at the last minute have just got cold feet, it's a really nerve racking experience putting yourself up for auditions not knowing the people involved or their level of expertise.
On the other hand it's better to find out they're not committed before you spend weeks teaching them the songs

This is why you should always interview someone face to face or over the phone than relying on text or emails.

You can ask and answer questions and get a good feel of someone's actual experience, not what they've made up on paper.

You should really treat it like any other technical job application. Application, general interview then technical interview.

By the time it gets to the technical interview you're only really confirming that their style and approach to playing fits with yours.

If you're auditioning to join a band then put in as much effort to learning the songs for the audition as you would for the set. If anyone asks you to learn more than 5 songs, ask them why.

Edited by TimR

I gave up playing in bands many yrs ago and only got back into it 2-3 yrs ago.
Firstly with friends just jamming and then auditioned for classic rock band and was offered on the spot. Stayed a year and left due to in-fighting amongst themselves.
Next band was a mate who was looking and gave that a try but wasn't really me. Then auditioned a Celtic Folk band and had my first refusal in 35yrs. That was a bit of a shocker but moved on to next which was a rock band own material 3 weeks ago. Auditioned, got it and then 3 days ago was sent an email stating he was now going to audition another bassist and drummer. Packed that one in and now looking again.
I've replied to a few ads that never replied but to be fair most have got back to me with more details - some didn't suit what i was looking for and i replied telling them same. Used Join My Band and Bandmix so can't really complain about the sites.
Its more a shock getting used to replying to ads as like most musicians my social circle used to be all musicians until i moved out into countryside.

Dave

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1360716819' post='1975492']

1969 Fender Mustang and a 1979 pre EB Stingray coming soon to the for sale section I think.

Les
[/quote]

Make sure you keep the strings though...very important. You never know if you decide to audition for a band again....

"I haven't got a bass mate, but I've got loads of strings..."

One songwriter I work for auditions musicians by going for a drink with them (and the rest of the band) before hearing them play. We chat about musical influences and see if they're easy to get on with (and they're not psychopaths).
If we all get on, then they get invited for a musical audition. Takes a little longer, but saves on wasted studio costs.