Why become a member? ×

Interesting Bass

BetaFunk

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1359133480' post='1950508']
Think he needs to see someone about his memory problems too. How you can forget maker and preamp make after only three years seems strange. Looks a bit like a Sadowsky.
[/quote]
Can't say i've ever seen a Sadowsky anything like that.

I have been reading with some amusement, some of the smart ass remarks by the 'experts' here, I was gonna stay quiet, but the last post has pushed me into a response. I'm a member here too, and this very same bass has been up on the classifieds a few years back....in the same condition...no snide remarks then..just nice bass etc..the usual.
So let me just put a few things straight....there are no cracks or delamination, it is not a friggin Chinese bass, yes the control cover is poor, yes it was built in the UK by a chap in West Yorkshire. There is nothing wrong with my memory..it was bought off ebay from the builder...and i don't know his name.... or the model of preamp he used.
In actual fact the bass is a great bass..check out some of my basses..I know what a great bass is, it sounds great a looks the business.
Some smart ass remarks about luthiery too...baloney. I own an Alembic amongst other basses, anyone who knows anything about multiwood type basses will tell you ...because there are several types of wood used in the construction..over the years they shrink at different rates...my alembic too. Delamination my arse.
Perhaps 'throwoff' the real ale has affected your vision as well as your judgement.
You lot sound like a load of old biddies bitching about another biddies make up...too much time on your hands I suspect.

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1359486943' post='1955559']
I have been reading with some amusement, some of the smart ass remarks by the 'experts' here, I was gonna stay quiet, but the last post has pushed me into a response. I'm a member here too, and this very same bass has been up on the classifieds a few years back....in the same condition...no snide remarks then..just nice bass etc..the usual.
So let me just put a few things straight....there are no cracks or delamination, it is not a friggin Chinese bass, yes the control cover is poor, yes it was built in the UK by a chap in West Yorkshire. There is nothing wrong with my memory..it was bought off ebay from the builder...and i don't know his name.... or the model of preamp he used.
In actual fact the bass is a great bass..check out some of my basses..I know what a great bass is, it sounds great a looks the business.
Some smart ass remarks about luthiery too...baloney. I own an Alembic amongst other basses, anyone who knows anything about multiwood type basses will tell you ...because there are several types of wood used in the construction..over the years they shrink at different rates...my alembic too. Delamination my arse.
Perhaps 'throwoff' the real ale has affected your vision as well as your judgement.
You lot sound like a load of old biddies bitching about another biddies make up...too much time on your hands I suspect.
[/quote]Harsh but fair. :D
AND IT'S LUTHIERY NOT LUITHIERY ;)
actually I always thought it was lutherie (make your mind up).

Edited by lettsguitars

I think there's a difference in etiquette between what people say in the classifieds and the EBay section.

Generally speaking it's frowned upon to disparage someone's classified listing (unless it's obviously deliberately misleading). However the EBay zone is seen as a bit of a 'free for all'.

Some quite nice instruments get a lot of stick here (I actually bought one that was torn apart here and it's both immaculate and seriously nice).

I think most potential buyers that might be reading this area of the site will make up their own minds about whether they want to bid on something or not.

I have to own up that I'd spotted the Warrior connection and was already watching this - also it's based only about 20 minutes from me. Lots of bassists in my neck of the woods :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1359554241' post='1956505']
I think there's a difference in etiquette between what people say in the classifieds and the EBay section.

Generally speaking it's frowned upon to disparage someone's classified listing (unless it's obviously deliberately misleading). However the EBay zone is seen as a bit of a 'free for all'.

Some quite nice instruments get a lot of stick here (I actually bought one that was torn apart here and it's both immaculate and seriously nice).

I think most potential buyers that might be reading this area of the site will make up their own minds about whether they want to bid on something or not.

I have to own up that I'd spotted the Warrior connection and was already watching this - also it's based only about 20 minutes from me. Lots of bassists in my neck of the woods :)
[/quote]
Yeah..I guess if thats the way it is..... then thats the way it is :rolleyes:

Edited by alembic1989

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1359486943' post='1955559']
[/quote]

Well that's quite the post!

First up I am a little more than an armchair expert but I don't expect everyone to know that and my day job is not public knowledge for good reason.

The bass is for sale on ebay, I have never seen it or heard it so can pass judgement only on a few photos and your description. From the photos it looks like there is a split in the wood of the neck and that 2 pieces are coming apart or as I said before delaminating.

Perhaps this is a trick of the light or growth patterns in the wood but like I say all I have are your pictures. My judgement was made on the images and that alone.

As for wood drying and curing I really could bore you at length about it but I am sure nobody wants to read it.

It may well be a super bass, in fact it likely is as you do seem to know your instruments but going off on a mad one because of a post based on an iffy looking photo is hardly the way I would deal with this, a quick post here or PM and I would have deleted my comments happily in view of the new knowledge you provided.

Edited by throwoff