Why become a member? ×

Gigging when pi$$ed

paulconnolly

Some years ago I played a private party in a marquee with a funk covers band. There was this punch they were dishing out, called Spiny Norman. I'm not sure what was in it but it was pretty potent. We we're supposed to go on at 9pm, but it was delayed to about 10.30. So we have time to kill. I retired to the dressing and proceeded to work my way through a jug of said punch. Come the time to go on, I staggered into the marquee and sat down on a chair. I had to be carried to the stage. I put my bass on and promptly fell against my rig, almost pushing everything through the marquee wall. The band kicked in and I came in four bars later, playing all the wrong notes. This continued throughout the whole set. At the end of the gig a woman up to us and said the set was brilliant. Absolute proof that nobody listens to the bass player.

Some of the stories in this thread are priceless :D

However, much as I love a few vinos, I would never have one before performing. Had it drummed into me from an early age by my Mum (dancer and choreographer) who thought it was highly unprofessional and always adversley affects your performance.

When I was learning the songs for our recent Christmas concert I stopped drinking at home as well. I found that even one would make me less
dexterous and more forgetful so I stopped drinking for a couple of weeks (very unusual for me!). So bass playing is good for your health after all! :D

All about horses for courses and how sober / professional one has to appear to be. However, I can't be convinced that either I am[i] that[/i] good that having a few pints makes me play noticeably worse, or I'm that bad that being totally sober allows me to play better. However, I will concede that everyone having a few pints makes unforeseen cock ups more likely, again, I'd be surprised if anyone notices and there are tonnes of other factors just a likely to cause such problems.

I don't class having a few pints as being pi$$ed though. Not unless I've not eaten all day or had little sleep. In which case a few pints usually results in some kinda disaster - falling off stage, pulling amps over, forgetting to plug in etc etc.

I understand certain gigs having a non-alcohol policy (I've played a few) and bands being the same (I've never been in one) but I'm of the opinion that this is more of a safeguard against people getting pi$$ed rather than having a few beers over a couple / a few hours.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1358796732' post='1945251']
I stopped drinking at home as well. I found that even one would make me less dexterous and more forgetful so I stopped drinking for a couple of weeks (very unusual for me!). So bass playing is good for your health after all! :D
[/quote]

+1 to this.

If alcohol has passed my lips, my bass does not get picked up...... Different matter once I've put it down though :P

There is video footage of me from 1992 playing in a living room at what I can only assume was a squat party.
I was ripped off my tits, and I slowly slide down the wall into the fireplace, and then manage to climb back up again, at no point do I let go of my stratocaster, and I don't seem to miss a note either. Classy...

I seem to remember a festival in '99 where a bottle of Thai rum and an 8th of something else from thailand led me to fall off the front of the stage. Not so classy.....

[quote name='AnalogBomb' timestamp='1358767476' post='1944533']
Sort of making me consider my position really. I don't invest money and time in good gear and practice to be made to look like a fool. This happened to anybody else?
[/quote]

Yes, one band that I was in nearly split up because the rest of us couldn't bring ourselves to sack the singer, who was starting to get us a poor reputation. Eventually he left - mind you, he did ring the drummer up in two minds as to whether to leave or not, and the drummer gently persuaded him to go.

I was in a band that played a friends 18th birthday years ago. The drummer dropped a pill before we started playing. The first 45 mins was good but after that the tempos just got faster and faster. To be honest it was pretty funny. I wouldn't wanna do it again tho. I was on edge for a lot of the gig, expecting the worst!

I just stumbled on this, here's a tale from the 60's, it doesn't involve booze however, intoxication of a chemical sort.

In Liverpool in the mid to late 60's we didn't go for booze, well a pint and I was we'll done in, maybe two brown mixed and then we was all basket cases. The band I was in at the time belonged to the Cavern Agency, they got us the gigs, which meant we played the Cavern a lot. Typically, Tuesday lunch, Tuesday night, Thursday lunch, Thursday night ( didn't have to move the gear !!). Friday was usually a double, Cavern first ( the gear was there) then some other gig. Saturday could be another Double featuring Cavern first, other gig second, then back to the Cavern for the "All Nighter". Then about once a month coinciding with the Cavern "All Nighter" was a Sunday afternoon "Marathon" at the "Sink" Harman Street, than back to the Cavern for another gig. So, where does the Buzz come in. One afternoon, Jud the Pill ( I kid you not) offered us some Dexedrine, his mate worked for Evans Medical and we could have them for 6d each, that's old money or 2.5p each in today's loot. Yes we said fairly knackered, we bought 6, one each, no result for about 10 minutes, we felt good, our "fan base' said we just seemed to take off, manic, good even. All I know is that I was awake for 24 hours talkin rubbish to anyone who would listen especially other pill heads.

No moral here I was 18 at the time, took em again once or twice, even took a Black Bomber once up for Days. That was then, now I don't drink before a gig as beer closes my throat and as I do the sing in' that's no good, half way through if I'm ok I'll take pint or two but mostly water.

Remember, the punters Do Not Know....

I'll occasionally make a pint last a set so max 3 pints by the end of 3-1/2 hours or a couple of pints over a 2 set night. I remember once getting on stage having waited for hours to start playing and suddenly realising I'd had three pints on an empty stomach. I think I had sobered up enough to feel normal by the start of the second set but the first set was a bit shaky.

Not for me these days. Used to have a couple beforehand once upon a time, plus smokes, but now I reckon I need a straight & sober head on to play properly. Maybe it didn't matter in those days 'cos the crowd was always pissed & stoned but I don't find myself playing to stoners these days.