Why become a member? ×

Fender '51 reissue P bass

davebass66

So.....I just sort of accidentally bought this bass on eBay!....

Something I've been gassing for on and off for years and put in what I thought was a silly bid....then I won it!

I understand they don't make these anymore, this ones from 04-05 CIJ....

Can anyone who knows about these things tell me whether this is a good deal or have I just been mugged off?! I never win things on eBay!

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Edited by davebass66

I was looking at that!

I used to have the Sting sig. and thoroughly regret selling it. Lovely rich warm P tone, you'll not get a massive amount of clarity out of it; it's certainly not a hi-fi bass but you can get a little clank with the right strings.

But why wouldn't you get some flats and just thud away on it? Perfect for blues and rock n roll. I remember it not being particularly heavy or big. The body's smaller and thinner than you'd think so it's really comfortable to play.

£410's about right I think. I've never seen one go for less than £400 and most seem to go for around £450. About right for any Jap RI Fender.

Truckstop

Seeing as they are getting rarer on the used market, that`s a good price. I`ve seen them in shops, used, for £800. There`s something special about these ones, I had one, sold it, missed it so much I bought it back. But sold it again as I didn`t use it in a band, and was far too good a bass to be sat in a case. Probably regret selling that one more than any other instrument I`ve moved on.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1358514888' post='1940590']
But sold it again as I didn`t use it in a band, and was far too good a bass to be sat in a case. Probably regret selling that one more than any other instrument I`ve moved on.
[/quote]

My predicament entirely. A very regrettable sale.
Fortunately, the current Squier version is excellent!

Are people getting mixed up between what they're being put up for as BIN on eBay and what they actually sell for? I bought and later sold one for around £400 a year or so ago, and if the price has really gone up that much I'm going to wish I'd kept it. But last time I looked, which admittedly wasn't that recently, the silly BINs over £500 weren't selling.

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1358634716' post='1942725']
Got a real soft spot for theses too, may have to add one to the collection at some stage, what are the necks like to play ?
[/quote]
Great necks on these. Many people say CIJ necks are some of the nicest Fender make, and after having had one of these, I can see why.

• 6 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. There's one of these for sale around my area which caught my eye. The seller is asking for £600 which I thought was perhaps over priced. It's a butterscotch finish with maple neck, bridge and pickup covers and is advertised as a 1994 MIJ model with Seymour Duncan SCPB-3 Quarter Pound 'Bassline' pickup. Any thoughts?

Depends, they go from anywhere between £400 - £800, irrespective of condition. As they seem to be less and less on the market it`s down to the buyer and how much they want one at the time. Try it, if it`s a player see if you can negotiate a deal.

Certainly looks in good nick from the photos I've seen. The seller has also been in touch with me to see if I'd be interested in a trade for my Lakland 55-02 I have for sale on the same webpage, so it's certainly tempting. Thinking of asking him if he'd be willing to drop to £500 and see how it goes...

I've seen it advertised too & thought it looked good . I'd certainly go for the £500 mark. I think it was originally advertised at £650.
I love mine, bought on BC, I think about 2/3 years ago, for £450.

Edit - mines has a fancy replacement ( Lollar) pickup in it.

Edited by Donnyboy