Why become a member? ×

"Choose a funk song, Steve..."

solo4652

This is not going to be easy. I'm just back from rehearsal and the band decided to have a go at Long Train Running. Every covers band I've played in has done the song, and I'm very familiar with it. The guitarists didn't know the song (!!???) and were struggling to slow down and leave space, and the drummer was far too loud and energetic. I mentioned Chic and there was a disbelieving silence before rhthym guitar exclaimed "But we're a rock band, Steve".

I did think of Word Up, but I'm really not sure how that will be received.

Mama Said by Kravitz - mmm. That might be worth a try.

Watch this space.

70s funk.......... The Chairman - Sly Stone, and with slap played on a Ric too. The horn stabs could be covered by the guitar I would think, but it depends if you have 2 guitars.

If nothing else, enjoy this awesome video - what a band!

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=sly%20stone%20thank%20you%20andy%20williams%20show&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwTLfHo9QAnQ&ei=BoT4UMGlEtSM0wWZkYGACA&usg=AFQjCNGYHskTf3jNDc3zHGWeiuleirX1sQ&bvm=bv.41248874,d.d2k

Edited by The Admiral

We do a short funkish section in the second set: Play that Funky Music, Superstition (with a segue into Good Times in the middle, then back into Superstition again), and Long Train Running. All great fun to play. But 70s... :(

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1358462659' post='1939878']I mentioned Chic and there was a disbelieving silence before rhthym guitar exclaimed "But we're a rock band, Steve".[/quote]

And there's your problem with stuff like Chic, fun as it might be, but for a broadly rock band I would have thought that would be too much of a leap. Then again look at what Gun did with Word Up or Thunder with Funky Music. Both in a basic rock stylee, but you can mess with the bass underneath it to give it some groove instead of a straight bash.

Lenny Kravitz is another coming from a rock slant, but that will probably be known for the hits and has a certain something

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1358504216' post='1940284']
And there's your problem with stuff like Chic, fun as it might be, but for a broadly rock band I would have thought that would be too much of a leap. Then again look at what Gun did with Word Up or Thunder with Funky Music. Both in a basic rock stylee, but you can mess with the bass underneath it to give it some groove instead of a straight bash.

[/quote]

My old punk-funk band used to do "We Are Family" as quite a heavy rock song!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1358500511' post='1940192']
Walk This Way - the RunDMC version, still got the hugemongious guitar riff, but funky as hell if you can pull of the hip hop feel...
[/quote]

Hmmmm - that's interesting. I might just be able to sell that to the guys.

[quote name='BambusBoy' timestamp='1358508895' post='1940415']
Amen to that - I bought it in the mid 90s I think - what a feel she plays with. Great live too :)
[/quote]
There's some incredible playing on that album!

I love watching the live video of her and Pino, it makes me want to cry...