Why become a member? ×

Peter Hook Masterclass

Pete Academy

He isn't a great player technically, but he is very distinctive. I would maybe be interested in hearing why he approaches bass in the manner he does. In many ways that is more interesting than attending a 'look at this guy slap, pop, tap and generally play lots of notes. 'Masterclass' though? I doubt it, but that was just a word given to the event, rather than a true indication of its quality. Rather like going to a sporting contest described as 'professional football' in Scotland.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1358383109' post='1938431']
Three.

Monaco had a couple of hits. Rather than none...

Seriously, name another bass player like Hooky? Has the presence of Hooky in the public eye?

Pete, I usually agree with your posts, but for someone with musical knowledge, and a seemingly open mind with music; this is an odd post.

Steve Vai/Satriani/Eric Johnson etc or Keef/Ron Wood (both of whom are 'weak' guitarists; but Iconic guitarists nonetheless!)

Mr Hook is a nice bloke, I sold him a Fleabass for his lad, and have seen him since.

Personally not sure about what he's doing with the rehashing of New Order/Joy division albums, but it'd be foolish for me to mention that as you're in a successful tribute act yourself.

What's to say he's not an awesome, technically proficient slap wizard at home, but plays to his persona in the public forum?

Kirk Hammet, Metal lead supremo plays a mean blues, and Mr Jason Newsted was a decent slap player, and did Jazz gigs in Metallica down time.

The droney, chorused lead bass thing is his, if you did anything like that, you'd be called a copyist. Therefore he's got his place, and certainly won't be short of attendees for this event.

So, If you don't like/appreciate or get the guy as a bassist, simply don't go, and don't worry, there's a guy on another forum calling Marcus Miller a gobsh*te.
[/quote]
Keef and Ron!? Weak guitarists!? tish and pish!

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1358425834' post='1938858']
I'd rather listen to an hour Hooky telling me how long your strap can get than listen to 5 minutes of anything recorded by Jaco Pastorius.
I'm not a big NO/JD fan either. Horses for courses.

I think it's quite nice that someone who was/is actually influential on a lot of bands and not from the multi string slappy tappy brigade is doing one of these things.
[/quote]
Yeah but Jaco has influenced a lot too. just cos it's in Jazz and Funk and not British pop doesn't mean its less relevant! (I'm not against Hook by the way. Quite impartial in this)

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1358462045' post='1939868']
BB King has made a career out of being the greatest player of 5 notes in the world, and given the choice between seeing him and Steve Vai, I know who I'd want to watch.
[/quote]
That's such a cliche, I've seen that printed on walls of music shops. There are plenty of people who would rather watch Vai. Massive following, incredible music. Me... i'd like to watch both. There's more than one way to skin a cat!

Edited by Lord Sausage

Maybe the masterclass is on songwriting, or his approach to creating sounds.

To be blunt, anyone who thinks that they couldn't learn anything from one of the most influential bass players in British - if not world- history strikes me as an arrogant muppet.

"yeah, but apart from create whole genres, writing some of the most distinctive and best selling singles of all time and having a career that's lasted 30 years what can he possibly have to teach me about music??? "

honestly, just think about how that sounds.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1358463843' post='1939919']

That's such a cliche, I've seen that printed on walls of music shops. There are plenty of people who would rather watch Vai. Massive following, incredible music. Me... i'd like to watch both. There's more than one way to skin a cat!
[/quote]

Cliche : a comment that is widely made and not original. Fair enough - I just happen to agree with many other people, as do you it would seem, that BB is a great player - which doesn't surprise me in these circumstances. As for Vai - fair enough, I would heartily agree that he's an incredible technical player, which many people admire, but I was simply seeking to make the point that technique in and of itself doesn't make for a great listening experience in many situations. You can admire the skill and the flash, as you can admire BB's tone and unique vibrato - one isn't lesser than the other, just because it 's more simple is my point - which was the point I inferred from much of the comment above : "Hook isn't a very good technical player, therefore he has no right to appear in a showcase" - which in this case has been poorly labelled as a masterclass, which for many suggests a higher level of skill will be demonstrated.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1358464523' post='1939930']
I appreciate he's a big part of British musicl culture, and he probably has a lot to say, but he isn't worthy of a masterclass.
[/quote]

I for one would appreciate access to this objective absolute "skill-o-meter" you apparently have, it could really help settle a few arguments.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1358467897' post='1939988']
Hooky is the big draw for me this year.

Seen Nate Watts and Guy Pratt before and very little interest in the other master class artists.

In fact this thread just got me to play Perfect Kiss very loudly - what a simply fabulous piece of music!
[/quote]Massive like.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1358466517' post='1939964']
"yeah, but apart from create whole genres, writing some of the most distinctive and best selling singles of all time and having a career that's lasted 30 years what can he possibly have to teach me about music??? "
[/quote]
I think things are getting mixed up here.....He may have had a long career by playing in a couple of successful
bands,but I can pretty much guarantee that there are players on this forum who know a lot more about
'music'.By his own admission,he doesn't know much about it.
Could he tell some interesting stories about being in his bands,and how they went about things? Yes. Could he teach anyone
about music? Probably not....and that's not being arrogant.

What a great argument between the "technicians" and the "musicians". Personally I find technical displays boring after about 10 seconds. Good music I'll listen to all day. I suspect that Hooky will be delivering some great anecdotes and some good "music".

note to self - must start new argument about the definition of music.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1358475482' post='1940058']
I think things are getting mixed up here.....He may have had a long career by playing in a couple of successful
bands,but I can pretty much guarantee that there are players on this forum who know a lot more about
'music'.By his own admission,he doesn't know much about it.
Could he tell some interesting stories about being in his bands,and how they went about things? Yes. Could he teach anyone
about music? Probably not....and [b]that's not being arrogant.[/b]
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's far more to music than knowing where the notes are.

I imagine Hook knows a few things about songwriting, for instance. He'll certainly know a thing or two about copping his own unique sound---often imitated but very few people actually get it right. The idea that someone who has written songs that have sold millions and influenced thousands can't teach anyone anything is completely and utterly laughable.

I'd guess the people who are motivated to turn up for the event are into Hooky's playing, so for them it may well be a 'Masterclass', but why stress over it?

Personally, there's as much room for him on my iPod as Jimmy Haslip et al, and the bass world is probably a better place with him in it.

The Beatles with Manu Katche or the Stones with Chad Wackerman, now that makes me feel queasy.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1358469416' post='1940010']
[url="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlccjb_new-order-the-perfect-kiss_music#.UPiZUaFQT1o"]http://www.dailymoti...ic#.UPiZUaFQT1o[/url]
[/quote]

I'm surprised no-one said "'ere, Barney, can you do the vocals again, they're a bit, er , flat" :)

Hooky is free to do his thing because the bulk of the "bassline" is sequenced. You could do the same thing on the bottom couple of strings on a guitar, but it wouldn't have anywhere near the same visual impact. That's the clever bit.

I’m not a fan particularly – but hearing from a well known / successful bassist who’s developed their own (instantly recognisable) style sounds ok to me, even if its not too challenging to emulate. I guess the phrase masterclass has irked people who consider themselves to be better players. But that’s just a bit of hype and we all do some of that don’t we. Doesn’t mean you wouldn’t learn anything interesting or useful. :D

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1358466584' post='1939967']
Cliche : a comment that is widely made and not original. Fair enough - I just happen to agree with many other people, as do you it would seem, that BB is a great player - which doesn't surprise me in these circumstances. As for Vai - fair enough, I would heartily agree that he's an incredible technical player, which many people admire, but I was simply seeking to make the point that technique in and of itself doesn't make for a great listening experience in many situations. You can admire the skill and the flash, as you can admire BB's tone and unique vibrato - one isn't lesser than the other, just because it 's more simple is my point - which was the point I inferred from much of the comment above : "Hook isn't a very good technical player, therefore he has no right to appear in a showcase" - which in this case has been poorly labelled as a masterclass, which for many suggests a higher level of skill will be demonstrated.
[/quote]
I can agree with that, but to dismiss players because they have technique is quite ignorant. Vai may have technique but his music is incredible not just for shredding. Great composition, melody, harmony and development. When i was younger in my teens, I was all about technique and difficult music but as i grew up i pretty much got into everything and enjoyed stuff on it's own merit. What i've found, in most cases, is snobbery from both ends. People with great technique and musicianship are snotty to music that's not. Conversely, those who don't go down that avenue are snotty to technical music as if it as no merit, when of course it does.