Why become a member? ×

Peter Hook Masterclass

Pete Academy

He developed a style and pretty much made it his own. IMO he's got a whole load more musical personality than a lot of the players with "killer chops" that get raved about on here.

Providing he's actually entertaining and informative on the day, then its more than enough reason for him to be doing it.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1358368335' post='1938056']
This post will no doubt piss people off, but I gather Peter Hook is doing a masterclass at the Bass Guitar Show. A masterclass? He seems a very average player who happened to be in A successful band.

Am I missing something?
[/quote]

Pete, chill - he has played a part in creating music that has been meaningful to a legion of people - creativity, or perhaps voice, always counts more, in my book, than the generics of technique. For certain, that's an interesting masterclass.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1358368546' post='1938064']
He developed a style and pretty much made it his own. IMO he's got a whole load more musical personality than a lot of the players with "killer chops" that get raved about on here.

Providing he's actually entertaining and informative on the day, then its more than enough reason for him to be doing it.
[/quote]

What 'style' is that?

It's not about his 'playing', it's about the songs they wrote together, and his contribution to them. You make it sound as though his being in the band was coincidental to the band's success. Or that they would have been successful (or 'good') with another bassist, who would of course have contributed something different to the band. Bands or groups of musicans that work well together are a kind of alchemy. What they bring individually adds up to far more than the sum of all the parts. They don't have to be very 'good' 'musicians', whatever those two terms may actually mean.

Hooky's bass lines are certainly not 'average'; what does that even mean? Surely root and fifths or whatever is an average bassline. Hooky had a different kind of simplicity to his role in songs. It's most definitely not average.

How much JD/NO do you know?

I'm not getting worked up, by the way. It's an interesting thread, and your opinion is just as valid, or idiotic, or misguided, or spot-on, as mine is.

Edited by Zenitram

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1358375954' post='1938313']
It's not about his 'playing', it's about the songs they wrote together, and his contribution to them. You make it sound as though his being in the band was coincidental to the band's success. Or that they would have been successful (or 'good') with another bassist, who would of course have contributed something different to the band. Bands or groups of musicans that work well together are a kind of alchemy. What they bring individually adds up to far more than the sum of all the parts. They don't have to be very 'good' 'musicians', whatever those two terms may actually mean.

Hooky's bass lines are certainly not 'average'; what does that even mean? Surely root and fifths or whatever is an average bassline. Hooky had a different kind of simplicity to his role in songs. It's most definitely not average.

How much JD/NO do you know?
That's a good post.
I'm not getting worked up, by the way. It's an interesting thread, and your opinion is just as valid, or idiotic, or misguided, or spot-on, as mine is.
[/quote]

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1358376590' post='1938334']
....think McCartney without the Beatles: you get the Frog Chorus....
[/quote]

Good quote but not quite true.

Most of McCartney on Abbey Road was without the Beatles. Band On The Run? Classic album.

Hook is up there in the top shelf of British bass stylists. He is clearly not a technician but he knows how to create memorable lines. Joy Division and New Order are bands who have broken through by being original and maverick in their approach to pop music. To argue that Hook is not a technically proficient player is missing the point. No one in New Order or Joy Division has above average technical ability but they are original and extremely good at communicating emotion, which are the key aims in creating good pop music. I think it's hard to argue that Peter Hook is not a great stylist. There are, of course, many more proficient bassists out there, but proficiency can be extremely dull.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1358375347' post='1938293']
Apologies to his fans, but he's an extremely average player that happened to be in a successful band.
[/quote]

Seems like you've not started this thread for debate but rather to spark some kind of argument, gain a reaction and to pass off your own opinion as fact. With this aside, BRX said it all in post number #3:

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]He developed a style and pretty much made it his own. IMO he's got a whole load more musical personality than a lot of the players with "killer chops" that get raved about on here.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Providing he's actually entertaining and informative on the day, then its more than enough reason for him to be doing it.[/font][/color][/quote]

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1358376466' post='1938332']
... two successful bands.
[/quote]

Three.

Monaco had a couple of hits. Rather than none...

Seriously, name another bass player like Hooky? Has the presence of Hooky in the public eye?

Pete, I usually agree with your posts, but for someone with musical knowledge, and a seemingly open mind with music; this is an odd post.

Steve Vai/Satriani/Eric Johnson etc or Keef/Ron Wood (both of whom are 'weak' guitarists; but Iconic guitarists nonetheless!)

Mr Hook is a nice bloke, I sold him a Fleabass for his lad, and have seen him since.

Personally not sure about what he's doing with the rehashing of New Order/Joy division albums, but it'd be foolish for me to mention that as you're in a successful tribute act yourself.

What's to say he's not an awesome, technically proficient slap wizard at home, but plays to his persona in the public forum?

Kirk Hammet, Metal lead supremo plays a mean blues, and Mr Jason Newsted was a decent slap player, and did Jazz gigs in Metallica down time.

The droney, chorused lead bass thing is his, if you did anything like that, you'd be called a copyist. Therefore he's got his place, and certainly won't be short of attendees for this event.

So, If you don't like/appreciate or get the guy as a bassist, simply don't go, and don't worry, there's a guy on another forum calling Marcus Miller a gobsh*te.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1358368335' post='1938056']
This post will no doubt piss people off, but I gather Peter Hook is doing a masterclass at the Bass Guitar Show. A masterclass? He seems a very average player who happened to be in A successful band.

Am I missing something?
[/quote]

An interesting question.I am a hardcore Joy Division fan,Hooky's playing is more about melody lines and up front sound rather than technique,so what exactly is he going to show us in a bass masterclass? Use an open string as a drone note? Already knew how to do that,got it off the Banshee's Steve Severin,as did Hooky.
If it's a chance to chat with a nice guy and legitamate legend all well and good,but what's he actually going to teach anyone?

Having been to a few masterclasses at previous shows you don't always get much in the way of learning from even the most technically competent and it is more about just listening to what they have to say and the chance to ask them questions. Some of the technically more competent cannot get a message across or present well at all and it is as much about that as anything.

As someone who likes Joy Division and appreciates his basslines in their songs I will be there listening and asking questions and I am glad he is there.

I'm sure the Bass Show management would be pleased if you were to call up one of your, more qualified, contacts and get them to go and do a masterclass at the "reasonable rates" that I expect they're able to pay on this gig.

Have you considered how many folk they have on their list who when called will turn it down?

Maybe you should start lampooning all the bigger names for repeatedly turning it down.

I am pleased they are having something like this with Peter Hook. As its usually people who are considered greats but a little hardcore for the everyday listener (For instance Jaco is considered a great in Bass playing circles but I personally don't like his style, by the way I know he's dead but I hope you catch my drift). Although I'm not a fan of Hooky's music I do like what he does, technically it may not be superior or that hard to play but it still is very different to a lot of styles out there.

I think it's healthy to look at music differently & listen to people who try something new.