Why become a member? ×

How much are you getting paid?

Jack

I have done a search and couldn't find much, but if anyone knows of a previous thread then that would be great.

Meanwhile, I have a cheeky question. Being mostly British on here I know it's uncouth to ask but I was wondering if we were over/under charging for our gigs. Granted, the only right answer is whatever you and the person booking the gig is the correct amount to be paid but I was curious as to how much Basschatters are being paid and for what.

My band at the moment is brand new and are doing the typical pub rock covers. 2 x 1-hour sets, then usually half an hour of encore stuff. We're a five-piece, so our £200-£300 per night usually works out at around £50 each. Once we've been established for a while we'd like to start doing private events and such, but we have no idea how to charge for those things. We're all new to this band but have all been regularly gigging for many years apart from our rhythm guitarist. We have great backline and can bring our own 'good' PA or we've hired an exceptional one for gigs we think warrant it. We do gigs around Northumberland and Durham, fwiw.

Anyone else care to share? Is every other basschatter earning double what my band is?! :secret:

We typically get £200 - £300 for pub gigs. Private gigs vary a lot - £350 to £800 but we don't really chase these things - they're not usually as enjoyable as the pubs and we never set out to be a function band. For the private gigs I think you have to be prepared to go after a more populist approach. In pubs we feel people have chosen to come and see us but for private functions you've been thrown together with the audience.

Pubs are too much work for the money, IMO... but we do a few that work for us in terms on clientele, space and money.
£250 upwards is the norm altho I am sure there are some bands and pubs that work lower fees..£160 maybe..???

Tickted gigs are what work for us... and we charge upwards of £750 depending on what show we give them.
It has to be different to a pub set though, otherwise what is the point for the booker ..????
Parties start around £550 for friends and wedding/parties are £800 upwards.
We don't play any more than 2x1hrs and we want good gigs rather than any gig we can turn over.
We play for people who have referred us..and any cold calls for weddings/parties etc, we ask them to come and see us...as
we play what we play and don't have a function set.
Have a good look at our set list and ok it...or not..!!

Chatting to a guy a party on Saturday who is in a 5 piece party band, but which does a lot of Madchester stuff - and thy have 30 gigs booked this year, as far away ( from Manchester) as London - all private parties - either weddings, or increasingly, 40ths, 50ths and 60ths - which means changing the set a bit, but they don't play a lot of the hoary old pub covers. All bookings from people who have seen them play, mostly at friends events, but they do 2 'showcase' gigs at their local each year for gratis, and invite prospective clients along. They charge £650 - £800 for parties ( plus travel and accom if a long way for home) and £800+ for weddings. They have great gear, a fantastic website, and are a good live band : seem to have it pretty sussed - not greedy, and consequently always busy, and just enjoy playing and getting paid for it is all bunce on top.

Talking to my pals back in the UK, what you're getting for a pub gig is around the norm. There are one or two bands I know who get quite a bit more but they are known for bringing a huge following and never fail to pack a pub to breaking point.

If you're going to move towards function / private gigs, the chances are that your rock covers setlist will need a few changes as people will want danceable party numbers and you'll need to be flexible when you see your audience.

The function bands I've played with in the past had all been able to adjust the setlist as we went along depending on what we've thought the audience would be up for on any given night. I wouldn't go out on a function with any less than 80 - 100 numbers under the belt and there will be some established bands on here that have many, many more in their repetoire.

Therefor, a lot of work goes into it and should be charged for accordingly.

Over here (France) most of the bands I've played with go out for 350 - 400 euros for a bar or restaurant gig, 500 - 600 for a function and the occaisional little great payer if it's something special like the French guitar festival where our trio got 350 each for a 30 min set but they are few and far between.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1357685010' post='1926886']
Thanks for the info so far folks.

Musicman, you're in my neck of the woods. If you're getting that kind of money would you care to tell me where? :-p
[/quote]

Ah, I would for sure, as it is out there. I'm currently now involved in setting up another new band which will no doubt be unpaid but quite fun! What I meant was if I was to get into the paid gigging game again, and it was covers/function work, id expect that amount, otherwise may as well concentrate on work and play for fun.

Generally say £100 per person minimum for functions etc. plus one additional share (ie 5 people, soundman, and one share = £700 minimum realistically) (although we are only about 3 months old with this band) Typically means we range between 600-2000 for functions that we are booking this year as our first year as a band. We do the odd pub gig for £250 (although first gig @ particular venue we'll let them go for £200)

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1357723312' post='1927109']
We play in the West of Scotland and the going rate is pretty much the same as everyone else. 5 piece band 300 quid for a pub gig and functions about £600 cos they are longer nights.
An interesting point. When someone moans about your price, just say ok, you hire 5 plumbers for 4 hours on a saturday night and see how much they charge. We will play for half that!
[/quote]
Functions are often not a "longer night" more a whole day. Can easily be there for 12+ hours.
I'm also pretty certain you stole that last line off me :P

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1357681503' post='1926802']
Now I wouldn't play covers, etc, for under £75-100 each. No point.
[/quote]

Crikey! That's £500 a night for a five-piece band!! Not many covers bands get that playing pubs.... and even for corporate functions you would have to be pretty slick.

My experience of the pub circuit in the North East is that most pubs pay between £120 and £250 for "standard" cover bands. If you can guarantee a large following then you may be able to negotiate more than that. I'm not sure that has changed much in the last 20 years or so.

No sense in pricing yourself out of the market if you want gigs!