Why become a member? ×

Bass necks. Jazz or precision??

tonyquipment

Tried the search. Didn't find that much about it

So. Jazz necks or precision?

I read that jazz ones are smaller. But how much smaller? Has anyone any info or picture comparison?

I have a p bass but interested to find out if there is something much more desirable to play.

Before someone forgets to mention it: different series can have different necks, so more or less chunky P necks exist and more or less slim J necks.

People will certainly chime in with hard facts and better knowledge, but at least this has now been mentioned.

best,
bert

Depends what suits you. The main difference between a J and a P is that the Jazz neck is narrower at the nut, just a little but enough to make a difference. There are details as to the exact widths on the Fender website.

But with each type there are variations of profile, so some are thicker than others (front to back), this is based on the neck shape, ranging from baseball bat to wafer thin. It's really down to the individual as to what will be best for you. Personally I prefer a Jazz neck because I have short fingers and the Precision is always a bit of a stretch on the low strings for me.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1357651281' post='1925965']
Before someone forgets to mention it: different series can have different necks, so more or less chunky P necks exist and more or less slim J necks.

People will certainly chime in with hard facts and better knowledge, but at least this has now been mentioned.

best,
bert
[/quote]

That's true, thanks for pointing that out. I forget about the different series and just mentioned the American Standards in my post above.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1357651307' post='1925967']
Depends what suits you.
[/quote]

+100
- I'm not sure about you finding something "more desirable to play" sounds like an excuse to me - If you want a new bass just go and buy one you like playing!

I used to much prefer slim 60s style Jazz necks but I've recently found I play faster on fatter 70s Jazz necks, a complete surprise because I used to hate them. Also once you're used to the chunkier Jazz necks it's not that much different going up to a wider Precision neck.

Everyone's different so you've really got to try them for yourself and see what feels best.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1357654184' post='1926046']
I'm not sure about you finding something "more desirable to play" [/quote]

Yeah. You can't pre-judge the feel of a bass, or even a neck, purely based on the measurements.

Some people that say they prefer J necks give the reason as being that they have smaller hands. Well, I am a big guy with big hands and the neck on my Geddy Lee Jazz is one of the most comfortable ones I've played! The fact that it is a J neck means that it is narrower at the nut, yes, but it is also very shallow from front to back.

The material used to coat the wood (or lack of it) is another factor in whether a neck feels comfortable to you or not. I hate the over lacquered "glossy" ones, but don't much care for bare wood either! The Geddy seems to get that right too (for me).

Neck radius is another variable - some are nearly flat whereas others are almost cylindrical! Take your pick!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1357651281' post='1925965']

best,
bert
[/quote]

Exactly.

There's quite a few different nut sizes in the various Precision ranges. Then of course the profile (back to front) of the neck can be different.

The Rockbass Corvette I had had a 38mm nut, so Jazz width, but was as chunky as. I hated it. The P bass I have has a 43.1mm nut but due to the profile I find much easier to play.

As Conan said, you can't prejudge a neck by what it says the dimensions are. Pick it up and play it.

There is another way to all this if you prefer the narrow string spacing of a jazz neck.

The nut width does not in itself determine string spacing but the string slots themselves. I used a Precision sized neck on my custom fretless but have cut the string slots closer together like a Jazz.

If you want Jazz bass string spacing on your Precision why not try a freshly cut nut first and you can have the best of both worlds!

I believe Precision necks have changed dimensions quite significantly over the years. A typical Jazz neck has a nut width of 1.5 inches - this makes for a narrower string spacing. I think modern Precisions have a nut width of 1.63 inches - not much greater, but it does feel significant. Some Precisions have a nut as wide as 1.75 inches.

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1358417411' post='1938646']
There is another way to all this if you prefer the narrow string spacing of a jazz neck.

The nut width does not in itself determine string spacing but the string slots themselves. I used a Precision sized neck on my custom fretless but have cut the string slots closer together like a Jazz.

If you want Jazz bass string spacing on your Precision why not try a freshly cut nut first and you can have the best of both worlds!
[/quote]

That sounds horrid, but I have not tried it, so maybe its not so bad. Don't you find the extra wood just gets in the way?

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1358420389' post='1938708']
That sounds horrid, but I have not tried it, so maybe its not so bad. Don't you find the extra wood just gets in the way?
[/quote]

Yes it does sound horrid but it's only a matter of an extra 2 or 3 millimetres between the edge of the E and G strings and the edge of the neck and if not pointed out I doubt if you would immediately notice it it. The extra wood is not noticeable.

I always disliked the way some manufacturers cut the E and G slots right at the edge of the nut practically causing the outside strings to fall of the neck (why do they do this?). So experimented with a narrower string spacing. It works for me anyway.

Even if you don't go as narrow as jazz spacing a new recut nut is an option which never seems to be considered to fine tune an instrument to your taste without resorting to buying a complete new neck