Why become a member? ×

New Bowie material

ead

Massive massive Bowie fan from the age of 8. We had all his records in our house (still do). Let's dance was his crowning glory and although he has done great stuff recentlyish (heathen) I find his newer material doesn't stand the test of time like it used to. Cant get excited about it anymore and over the last few years have realised just how uninteresting the majority of the bass work has been on most of his albums. Tony Visconti is a legend (up the hill backwards is magnificent) though and I'm positive it cant be [i]bad[/i].
Fantastic voyage blows me away every time.

Great to hear; harps back to his last great era. "Look Back In Anger" still gives me good-bumps every time. Much of what he's done since then he's hyped up only to decry it later, Tin Machine for example.
His legend speaks for itself, I hope he lets the music do the talking this time.

Am I listening to a different song to the rest of you?

To me it sounded dull and turgid, I was expecting the whole thing to come grinding to a halt at any moment. Confirms my belief that apart from a handful of songs Mr Bowie has not made any worthwhile contributions to popular music since the release of "Scary Monsters".

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1357646350' post='1925806']

To me it sounded dull and turgid, I was expecting the whole thing to come grinding to a halt at any moment. Confirms my belief that apart from a handful of songs Mr Bowie has not made any worthwhile contributions to popular music since the release of "Scary Monsters".
[/quote]

I would , sadly , have to agree with BRX on this one , although I would go one album later with my definition of Bowies golden era to Lets Dance . I really , really want to like this record , and it's pretty good for what it is , but David Bowie is a uniquely talented who and can do much better than this . I will reserve final judgement until I have heard the album , but if this is the first single then it doesn't neccesarilly auger well for a return to form for the great man . Such a shame if that is so , because he certainly has a great album left in him .

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1357670589' post='1926445']I bet he'd sell out stadiums no problem.[/quote]

Last time was when he got the heart problems that caused his hiatus.

I can't comment on whether it's cr*p or not, I liked Absolute Beginners which was universally panned. :unsure:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1357646350' post='1925806']

[/quote]

I really thought I would like it from the clip I heard this morning on R4, but I'm afraid I agree.

Lyrics are ok I suppose but I found them to be a bit lazy. His voice sounds good, the chord sequence is lovely, but the production I found really awful. Pompous cheesy drums, vocal too loud, guitar way too low in the instrumental section which felt so empty, even the bass sounded awfully cheesy to me.

I love it, had it on repeat all day and pretty disappointed it isn't eligible for the UK singles chart.

...Did anyone else notice Tony Levin's cheeky nods to Don't Give Up near the end? I like the reference, but it's odd to feature a nod to a 1980's Peter Gabriel hit on DB's supposed comeback in 2013.