Why become a member? ×

Hi from an old git with teenage pretensions

great harry

As a teenager I used to play bass in a punk folk band.

" A WHAT???"

I am glad you asked and you are right, such a thing should never have existed. Two very respectable genres that dont mix very well. Call it experimental. It was 1976, Punk was new and well someone had to try.

My first bass was bought for £17.00 from a junk shop in 1973. It was a Hofner 500/3. To me it was a tired old dinosaur from a bygone age that I had nothing in common with. Imagine my shock when I googled it recently and saw an identical one up for £950.00. I swapped it in 1975 for a rather neat looking Welson Violin Bass. It was a nice guitar and played well, but it wasnt the precision or rickenbacker 4001 that I hankered after. I flogged that in 76 for £ 40.00 (wayhay £23.00 profit :-)), in order to go on holiday, thinking, oh well I will just buy another one when I get back. Oh the folly of youth.

[b]Fast forward to December 2012.[/b]

I find I am listening and humming along to the bassline of every tune I listen to and am looking at bass guitar adverts online. 2nd January 2013 and I walk into my local music store pick up an SX FP62 Precision and am amazed how comfortable it feels in my hands. The shopkeeper plugs it into an amp and says have a go. "I dont know anything I say".

[b]Fast forward 5 seconds [/b]

And I am running through a 12 bar blues without having any idea what notes I am playing or what is actually controlling my actions. It was the first time I had picked up a bass guitar in 36 years!

I have some questions

1. Is this form of madness curable?

2. I thought not. Where can I get an SX precision where I can buy it on hp (spent too much at Christmas)? It came across as a very good bit of kit and at £ 189.00 seems like a bargain. None of the online stores in the uk seem to stock it. In fact, my local shop is the only place I have come across it over here. In the US it is extremely popular according to the forums over there. Alder body, great finish, no belmishes wonky screws or filled gaps. Looked as good as a real Fender he had in the shop and sounded great.

3. Is the Squier Affinity P bass as good (budget up to £200.00 if I am lucky)?

4. What about the Epiphone Thunderbird IV or EB-3 ( I understand they are both poorly balanced guitars)?

5. Is the Laney RB1 15 Watt practice amp as good as I think it is (Which is good enough)?

6. Does this age regression thing mean that someone will be changing my nappy in 15 years?

I want to play Punk Folk (joking), 60's and 70's rock from the Beatles and Kinks through to the Stranglers and just about anything in between. I might try some of that new fangled Oasis, REM and Pulp type stuff from the 90's as well. Gigging if it ever happens will probably be restricted to playinjg the bottom end of an, English music only, Ceilidh band (all of my brothers and my neice are in it so at 54 I should be thinking of toeing the family line), Unless I can find some other old gits to form a retro band with.

Thank you for reading that. I hope you don't resent me for wasting 5 minutes of your time.

Cheers

Damon

Edited by great harry

Hey Damon,

Welcome along. First off, you are certainly not alone, there are more and more 'older' gents picking up music again so I'm sure you will find like minded ex punk folkers around for gigs.
Ok so I can't say anything about the basses you mentioned but If It feels and sounds good to you and you can afford it then Its a good deal. The laney will be fine for practise, but I doubt it would do for gigs or even louder band practises.
HP I only know about sauce!

Cheers Leen.

Hey Damon,

What a glorious introduction and great read.
Reportedly, the SXs are surprisingly good and relatively safe bets. The Epis have a bad name for construction, but some swear by them. Me, I don't like the Affinity very much - the ones I checked were shoddily put together.
Instead, I'd go for a Yamaha RBX-170 without any doubt.

Don't know the Laney, but I keep hammering on one that Thomann sell: the Harley Benton 35W combo at 69 quid:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbw35.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...enton_hbw35.htm[/url]
It has everything a practise amp needs, and in my mind sounds stellar and better than the Roland 30W cubes I've heard.

Enjoy BC and its banter! Seems you'll fit right in.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Thank you for the welcome. This cuckoo's nest is starting to feel cosy already.

Thank you for the advice Leen. I take it this isn't curable then. I cant see me needing or being able to afford a gigging amp for a while. The ceilidh band has 75 Watt Fender bass amp, which I can use for gigging anyway. The Laney / SX combination sounded very nice in the shop.

One thing that I have noticed looking around the net, is that there are so many resources available to players which were hard to come by in the days of Punk Folk. I think relearning is going to be mucgh easier than learning was.

I was taught by a classical bassist which meant endless hours of scales. I suppose that won't change if I really want to get proficient again.

Hi Bass Tractor,

I haven't tried the Yamaha yet. I think that goes for around the same price doesnt it? As does the Ibanez GRS200. I might have to give them a go. I have seen a few you tube videos of the Yamaha and I quite liked what I heard, so I might have to look into that. I will check out the Harley Benton. Are they a good brand? I have not heard of them. 35W sounds good for £69.00 though.

I am going to Bexleyheath tomorrow. I might pop into the music shop there and see if they have got the Yamaha RBX-170.

Edited by great harry

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1357515473' post='1924020']
there are more and more 'older' gents picking up music again[/quote]

I resemble that remark. Picked it up again last year at the age of 60 but first time as the bass player.
Played double bass in the school orchestra & jazz band but drums, guitar, keyboard and even a little trumpet in the bands I've been in since the Beatles were on The Ed Sullivan Show.
Went bass and love it. Play a Yama BBN5 through an Acoustic B200H & (2) Acoustic B115 cabs in a sometine too loud but very good modern country rock band.

But what I really want to say is Welcome. I have little doubt that you will enjoy your participation here as much as I have.

[quote name='great harry' timestamp='1357517015' post='1924041']
I haven't tried the Yamaha yet. I think that goes for aroung =d the dame price doesnt it? As does the Ibanez GRS200.
[/quote]

Yup, same price group.
When I bought my first bass, I was warned against the GSR200 - not because it's bad but because the Yamaha was said to be clearly better for the money. Haven't tried or inspected the Ibby myself, but trusted the advice enough to drop it.
BTW, didn't buy the Yamaha myself, but a cheap Axl that I returned right away coz the neck was twisted. Decided I was a rich man and went for the RockBass at more than double the price. I wasn't a rich man, so I should've gone for the RBX.

[quote name='great harry' timestamp='1357517015' post='1924041']
I will check out the Harley Benton. Are they a good brand? I have not heard of them. 35W sounds good for £69.00 though.
[/quote]
"Harley Benton" seem to be Thomann's own brand name only. I might stand corrected on that one. Anyway, they're products from Elder Audio in China who're most known for their brand Beta Three (mixers, monitors), and maybe for the fact they had designed the amps, cabs and combos that were released under the name Ibanez Promethean, and got raving reviews.
Depending on importer etc, the same amps can also be had under the brand names Beta Three, Beta Aivin, Harley Benton, White Horse and RedSub, and they tend to get good reviews.

Elder can certainly design and can certainly solder, but some people on BC have had theirs go faulty. My 35W one had some pot noise, but else has been so great that I ordered another 110W Harley Benton from Thomann even though I knew of a possible QC issue.

I'm a dino, so I still remember the name Laney had when I was young. They may be totally different these days, Idunno. Ask the grown ups in the Amps and Cabs section and thou willt finde.

Good luck!

best,
bert
edit for speling with one "l"

Edited by BassTractor

Just had a look at my bank account online and got a nasty shock (gulp) .

It looks like it will be a month or two before I can take the plunge. Never mind it means I can have a bit mire fun looking at and trying out instruments.

I think I saw a forum thread saying that Harley Benton guitars might be from the same Chinese factory as SX basses. In which case I might be tempted to go for a package for Thomann. Whatever I end uo getting I will give a little review of it from the perspective of a returning novice punk folker.

Hi Great Harry. I'm 70 and still gigging so you've got years yet! I retired for a few years a while ago and started from scratch with my first purchase being a Yamaha RBX 170 bought s/h for £50.00. A great little bass and sounds/plays beautifully. Although I now use a Jazz bass I still have it and get it out for the occasional gig.

I only picked up a bass 7 months ago after an early mid life crisis aged 38. Everyone on here is pretty barking mad and bass obsessed so you'll find yourself in good (if not leading you astray) company ;)

I had a 21 year break from music... I was a classical oboeist, at quite a high standard.. But gave it up when I found boys.

Thanks to my now supportive husband and a love of low notes, I have taken up the bass. I'm even in a classic rock band now (where I am the youngest member by 20 years, so you have loads of gigging time ahead of you!)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Basschat!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1357591828' post='1925101']
I was a classical oboeist, at quite a high standard..
[/quote]

Wot???
Oh, girl, you and I are soooo gonna treat these silly low-enders on Litaize's "Dyptique" at one of the bashes! They're gonna be reformed in a minute, they are.
Oh, wait! .... :blush:

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1357595636' post='1925208']

Wot???
Oh, girl, you and I are soooo gonna treat these silly low-enders on Litaize's "Dyptique" at one of the bashes! They're gonna be reformed in a minute, they are.
Oh, wait! .... :blush:

best,
bert
[/quote]

You do make me laugh Bert :lol:

I've always been a low ender at heart... The happiest I ever was as an Oboeist was when I got to borrow a Cor Anglais when I was working on a production of Fiddler on the Roof ;)

Anyhow, yes Great Harry, you must embrace it, and in addition however much kit you think is enough now... Don't think it'll last. I have been through 4 basses (still have 3 a 4 string, a 4 string fretless and a 5 string, sold my beginner bass) and 3 amps (sold my beginner one, still have my decent practice amp and then my 300W amp with cabs for gigging) and well... Dont get me started on effects, strings etc etc :P

Edited by SpaceChick

Good evening, Damon...

This may be your last chance, so take it, whilst there's still time. Renounce this folly of youth, give up this vain ploy and get yourself a real occupation which won't wreck your finances and compromise your private life. Don't be lured, as have been so many other unfortunate souls, by the siren calls from the already contaminated poor devils here. Run, lad, run 'till your lungs burst, forsake the empty promises of 'mwah' and 'tone'. You're worth more than this, surely..? Have you no pride..? You're too young. Heed the warning before it's too late. Take the sound advice of a drummer, and forgo this path to madness...

(...and please don't get SpaceChick started on strings, for all our sakes. We'd need pics, which would cost a fortune in legal fees...)

Great. Whether I aim too high or aim too low, I do aim to please.

BTW, the Dyptique is the only piece for oboe and organ that I can remember to have done. Start practising.

I've been a low ender in many ways as well, but then always had the 16 and 32 foot stops in the pedals, so I've not really missed anything. Was always constructing bass sounds on my synths as well.

Girl who got me to start playing the bass tells me the same story: she was always a low ender at heart and has totally dropped the flute. She could have been a flautist in the Concertgebouw Orchestra right now, but chose differently. She too always built bass sounds on my synths.

best,
bert

Dad3353, I appreciate your attempts to save me from my chosen path, but I think you are too late . I feel I am doomed to spend eternity propping up the ego trippers from the bottom..

I am even seriously considering flogging my boat to get some decent gear. And I love my boat!

Edited by great harry

[quote name='great harry' timestamp='1357600688' post='1925346']
I am even seriously considering flogging my boat to get some decent gear. And I love my boat!
[/quote]

You do so with my much unneeded support.
Me, I'm flogging my private car as well as my company car. Haven't been driving them for a year, and am happier walking and bicycling. Bass gear is better, and it tastes even better as well this way.

Oh, how much for the boat? ;)

best,
bert

About £17k. She wants a new kitchen as well.

It's a difficult one though. I use the boat a lot for fishing with my mates. It's just so expensive to run. On top of that my business is going through a quiet patch so money is tight.

I might have to drop the price a bit which would be gutting as its a great little vessel and fast too.

[quote name='great harry' timestamp='1357514345' post='1924000']
As a teenager I used to play bass in a punk folk band.

" A WHAT???"

I am glad you asked and you are right, such a thing should never have existed. Two very respectable genres that dont mix very well. Call it experimental. It was 1976, Punk was new and well someone had to try.

My first bass was bought for £17.00 from a junk shop in 1973. It was a Hofner 500/3. To me it was a tired old dinosaur from a bygone age that I had nothing in common with. Imagine my shock when I googled it recently and saw an identical one up for £950.00. I swapped it in 1975 for a rather neat looking Welson Violin Bass. It was a nice guitar and played well, but it wasnt the precision or rickenbacker 4001 that I hankered after. I flogged that in 76 for £ 40.00 (wayhay £23.00 profit :-)), in order to go on holiday, thinking, oh well I will just buy another one when I get back. Oh the folly of youth.

[b]Fast forward to December 2012.[/b]

I find I am listening and humming along to the bassline of every tune I listen to and am looking at bass guitar adverts online. 2nd January 2013 and I walk into my local music store pick up an SX FP62 Precision and am amazed how comfortable it feels in my hands. The shopkeeper plugs it into an amp and says have a go. "I dont know anything I say".

[b]Fast forward 5 seconds [/b]

And I am running through a 12 bar blues without having any idea what notes I am playing or what is actually controlling my actions. It was the first time I had picked up a bass guitar in 36 years!

I have some questions

1. Is this form of madness curable?

2. I thought not. Where can I get an SX precision where I can buy it on hp (spent too much at Christmas)? It came across as a very good bit of kit and at £ 189.00 seems like a bargain. None of the online stores in the uk seem to stock it. In fact, my local shop is the only place I have come across it over here. In the US it is extremely popular according to the forums over there. Alder body, great finish, no belmishes wonky screws or filled gaps. Looked as good as a real Fender he had in the shop and sounded great.

3. Is the Squier Affinity P bass as good (budget up to £200.00 if I am lucky)?

4. What about the Epiphone Thunderbird IV or EB-3 ( I understand they are both poorly balanced guitars)?

5. Is the Laney RB1 15 Watt practice amp as good as I think it is (Which is good enough)?

6. Does this age regression thing mean that someone will be changing my nappy in 15 years?

I want to play Punk Folk (joking), 60's and 70's rock from the Beatles and Kinks through to the Stranglers and just about anything in between. I might try some of that new fangled Oasis, REM and Pulp type stuff from the 90's as well. Gigging if it ever happens will probably be restricted to playinjg the bottom end of an, English music only, Ceilidh band (all of my brothers and my neice are in it so at 54 I should be thinking of toeing the family line), Unless I can find some other old gits to form a retro band with.

Thank you for reading that. I hope you don't resent me for wasting 5 minutes of your time.

Cheers

Damon
[/quote]

Dude, if you want teenage pretensions, just do what i do... nothing.

OH f***! why do i keep forgetting i'm not a teenager anymore?

It still doesn't stop me from doing nothing. In fact, i just had a bacon and philadelphia sandwich, and i'm considering a second round of coke (the drink, not the illegal substance).

might go to sleep soon too.

Maybe i'll ask mum too bring me back some cider from the shop later too.

f***, i love my life :D

Anyway, welcome! Get a bass!