Why become a member? ×

A bass made in 1983 - W.H.Y?

Lifer

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1356704263' post='1912642']
The thing with early 80s Musicman basses is that they introduced new colours (as well as the Cutlass models with graphite necks), rosewood fretboards, and some colours moved to alder rather than ash bodies so give an arguably smoother sound. The 2 band Stingray EQ has been more or less the same since 1979 to date. And yes, made by Charvel.
[/quote]
Bodies were made by Charvel and a number of other luthiers such as Grover Jackson out of pretty much whatever wood they could find. Mahogany and popla-...[ahem] tulipwood were also used when alder and ash weren't available. This happened because Leo Fender's company, CLF, was sub contracted to supply the bodies and necks and there had been a lot of returns due to quality control issues with the finish of instruments. Apparently Leo was also disappointed with the sale of Stingray guitars and started to deliberately sabotage some of the parts, such as shipping necks with unanchored truss rods (according to Sterling Ball in an interview).

Seems both logical and reasonable that this situation might have prompted the use of graphite necks on the Cutlass basses, its another avenue for cutting dependency on a single supplier. Although not much chance of clarifying if that is the case given so much time has passed since then.

But back on topic, I'd go for an Aria SB-1000...maybe with the Alembic pickups option.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1356835592' post='1914238']
+1 for absolutely anything with a Westone/Matsumoku badge from that era.
[/quote]
For stuff that is widely available for good prices you can't go wrong with a bass made by Matsumoku, including the the Arias, Vox and Westones already flagged up here. http://www.matsumoku.org/models/models.html

[quote name='Lifer' timestamp='1356867123' post='1914391']
Thanks for the link, really like the look of the cardinal bass anyone know what they're like?
[/quote]
Like Stu I've got a CSB380 and also a 300, which has been my main gigging bass for the last 7 or so years. They play very nicely and the sound is very precision like, which you'd expect given the configuration. It actually sounds a bit 'gruntier' than my P's, which may well be down to the shorter 32" scale. It's something you should be aware of, as it probably won't do 'twang' in the same way as longer scale basses. (I hope these descriptions of the sound are helping, as it's quite difficult to describe the sound in text!) Not something I need as the treble and upper mids are turned down on my amp anyway.

Pricewise they seem to have been climbing a bit recently, and I'd expect them to sell for £130 -£150 for the 300/380 - the higher designation doesn't seem to command any more on ebay. The 450 and deluxe models are very much rarer and can fetch a bit more (particularly the 450) when they show up.

I'm playing 60's garage type stuff, so there's not a lot of call for top end. Not to say these basses won't provide that, it's just that I've never tried. :rolleyes:

I've not tried drop tuning it either, but I doubt a 32" scale bass would take kindly to it - the shorter scale adds a touch more 'flap' to the strings as it is. An RSB or SB would probably be a better bet. Unless you fancy going for heavier guage strings?

ah the 80s were everything cost nothing!!...everything seemed to cost 80£,a mate bought bc rich sharkfin for 80@,then he bought a jcm 800 and 412 for 100£,another bought a mini moog for 80£,another bought john taylors arai pro2 for £110
i got a westone thunder project from about then

Edited by thunderider

Ditto Matsumoku gear.
I still own a Vox standard as above in original condition as well as the Vox phantom fretless.
I recently bought an early 80s Hohner P Bass and its really very good and is my regular gigging bass now (with wizard pickups in). Cost me £80 off the bay.
The 82 Ibanez Blazers are excellent also as Truckstop will declare.
You're lucky.
You're birth co incided with a seriously golden age of Japanese guitars.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1356703437' post='1912619']
[size=5][sub]At this time, bass playing had been thoroughly influenced by the likes of Pino, Jaco, Louis Johnson, Nate Watts, Norman Watt-Roy, Mark King - so things had become technical - look at Nick Beggs - Kajagoogoo (top 10 single etc).[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]So basses of the era - Musicman Stingray, Sabre or Cutlass.[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]Ibanez Musician; [/sub][/size][size=5][sub]Steinberger; [/sub][/size][size=5][sub]Wal[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]All choice basses of the time. Alembic if you could afford one (few people could); Jaydee if you couldn't.[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]Fenders were off the radar for many serious players at this time as seriously out of date and unhip, but found in the hands of punk rockers etc.[/sub][/size]
[/quote]

Lol, totally true regarding Fenders...very "boring and old school" was the perception I remember as a young bassist at that time. You could hardly give away 70's Fenders during the early 80's.

Aria & Ibanez were really good quality "hip" instruments for young poor(ish) players to aspire to during this time...and both represent good value for money for you on your quest today!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1356702034' post='1912598']
+1 on Phils selection here .

I. For what its worth , with the benefit of hindsight I actually think the Aria SB1000 is a better designed bass than many of the more exotic boutique basses of that time , and it's sound is equal to anything out there even in the present day in my opinion . Providing you dont mind the weight , if you see one in reasonable condition at a good price I would say that they are the best bang for your buck if you want a bass from 1983 that encapsulates the sound and spirit of the age . I got a JV Series Squier in 1983 and it was a lovely bass , but what I really wanted was an Aria SB1000 so I could tell the girls at school that I had the same bass as John Taylor out of Duran Duran . Anyone who was in their early teens at the time will know the power of that association .
[/quote]

Having said that i sold my Squier JV for "Considerably more" last year than i bought my SB1000 for. So whilst i agree the SB 1000's are fab basses (I wont be getting rid of mine any time soon although i did have a moment of madness recently...cold flannel sorted that out!) the squiers are not too shabby. I think that was a tribute to the basses coming out of Japan in 1983 in general. Even the Westone thiunder series aquitted themselves well over the ensuing years.....

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1356844687' post='1914249']But back on topic, I'd go for an Aria SB-1000...maybe with the Alembic pickups option.[/quote]
SB-LTD? Wasn't released until '88. If you were looking at the SB range in '83, the new model you'd have been most interested in was the SB-R150.
[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1356891979' post='1914826']I'm not sure when they launched the Yamaha RBX 800 but it was a great 80's bass.[/quote]
First RBX models were released in '86. If you were looking at the Yamaha range in '83 it would have had to be a BB, and the models of the day were the 3000 variants.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1357065999' post='1917083']
SB-LTD? Wasn't released until '88. If you were looking at the SB range in '83, the new model you'd have been most interested in was the SB-R150.

First RBX models were released in '86. If you were looking at the Yamaha range in '83 it would have had to be a BB, and the models of the day were the 3000 variants.
[/quote]

Cheers for the clarification