Why become a member? ×

Hearing test

dmccombe7

Not sure if this is in right place but here goes anyway.
Got my 2 yearly hearing test thru my work. Low and behold i'm above average in both ears but one ear is twice as good as the other. ???
Requested to visit my GP with results and refer to Ear Nose & Throat dept at hospital for further investigation.
Suggested i have an MRI as loss of hearing in one ear can be caused by a benign tumour.
WHOA !!!!!! stunned to say the least.
One scary comment to hear and was the worst week of my life waiting on results.

Good news is i got the all clear and that hearing loss has been caused by loud noise in one ear - who knows what but more than likely bands. Last year drummer hit his cymbal while setting up right next to my ear and it was painful - first time i have ever suffered actual pain in my ear and that probably did it.

My worse ear is still above average for my age so nothing major to worry about but we should all be careful.

Tonight i am happy though and might actually manage to get some sleep - LOL

Dave

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355787704' post='1902876']
Do the youth of today wear them or is it uncool? Docs pro plugs all the way I say :)
[/quote]

My experience of working with the 16-25 kinda age range is that a lot more of the younger kids are wearing them, so someone is doing something right. In general its about a 50/50 split among my peers. I suffered hearing loss when i was small, so i almost always wear them. Especially in practice wear the noise gets "boxed in".

Has anyone ever tried going high tech and using noise cancelling headphones? if so do they work well?

[quote name='thack' timestamp='1355812693' post='1902964']
My experience of working with the 16-25 kinda age range is that a lot more of the younger kids are wearing them, so someone is doing something right. In general its about a 50/50 split among my peers. I suffered hearing loss when i was small, so i almost always wear them. Especially in practice wear the noise gets "boxed in".

Has anyone ever tried going high tech and using noise cancelling headphones? if so do they work well?
[/quote]
Thats good to know then I would say 15 years ago it would of been 1 in 50 that wore anything, I wasn't the one either :(

I'm definately in that younger age range and i wont play, or go to a gig without my earplugs. I'm the only one of my band who uses them at gigs, though the vocalist and drummer use them at rehearsals (even though our rehearsals are a hell of a lot quieter?!). There's been occasions when i haven't worn them, for various reasons, and it's been hell afterwards. I do need to go for a hearing test soon myself, just to check all is in order.

Liak

Glad you are ok op,)
2 things spring to mind for me;
Back in 79/'80 I went for interview as a clerk at post office.
I failed hearing test. Had a test at guys hsp. Never did get results.
I was 16 and naive.i saw iron maiden at Lyceum the night before.

4 years ago, had medical formu new job& was food I have 'perfect hearing'

Regarding drums at rehearsal: a couple of times, I used to bend down setting equipment up, and mr.drums had a habit of thumping the foot pedal while I'm in front of drumkit. Very loud and deafening(,

If I join a band again, earplugs at rehearsal for sure.

I'm 52 and had no probs throughout my early heavy rock days but drummers have a tendancy to hit their cymbals very hard when kit is put together usualy to make sure nothing comes loose when playing normally.
It wasn't a deliberate hit because i was there - i just happened to turn round and move towards him at the very same time he belted the cymbal. Was a genuine mistake but just goes to show how easily done it is.

my hearing is still above average on both ears so nothing much to worry about but take extra care now that i know how easy it is to lose it.

Annoying that i've been careful for 35 yrs and for sake of one "momentary lapse of reason" "ear today, gone tomorrow" "time" will tell :D

Be careful no matter what age you are.

Dave

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1355860168' post='1903832']
why
[/quote]

Why? Because in my experience, ER-20s are more than sufficient at a tenth of the price. They fit me very well and I have no ringing in my ears after gigs or rehearsals. With that in mind I think it is factually incorrect to say that custom moulded plugs are the only things to consider, in my world at least. There are other options, and perfectly serviceable ones at that.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1355873514' post='1904021']
Why? Because in my experience, ER-20s are more than sufficient at a tenth of the price. They fit me very well and I have no ringing in my ears after gigs or rehearsals. With that in mind I think it is factually incorrect to say that custom moulded plugs are the only things to consider, in my world at least. There are other options, and perfectly serviceable ones at that.
[/quote]

They may fit well but cut out a lot of ranges.

As i do a lot of vocals it's necessary to have earplugs that have an emphasis on high pitch frequencies and ER-20's just dont do this.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1355873514' post='1904021']
[/quote]

Lucky you. Considering that no 2 ear canals are the same it is not the case that generic ER-20's will do the job for everybody. one size will not fit all. It is factually correct that once your hearing gets damaged, there is no going back. Therefore taking the most appropriate precaution means custom moulded plugs- an exact match for each ear canal gives the optimum chance of hearing protection-fact. Were talking up to a couple of hundred quid here for the best. Money well spent IMO. The most important part of your bass set up are your ears-fact. At this point I am aware of over 20 musicians who have moved on to custom moulded plugs and they are all very happy-fact

FWIW I have bought and used ER20s and then bought moulded ear plugs - for me, there is absolutely no comparison.

I have very poor hearing and have to wear hearing aids in my daily life. I am trying to preserve what hearing I have left for as long as possible and don't consider the moulded plugs to be expensive - they are priceless!!

Sorry if you felt my intention is to be condescending. Its not. I only mean well. I am passionate about hearing protection.I have been a bass player for over 30 years and in that time I have seen many musicians suffer significant hearing loss and/or tinnitus due to exposure to loud volumes as a result of not using proper ear protection. Significant hearing loss/tinnitus is a life changing experience and not to be recommended.

Us musicians can be very fussy regarding amps, instruments etc, Hell, I have recently heard of a guy spending £150 on a custom built guitar stand. With the arrival of custom moulded plugs musicians have a proper opportunity to protect their most important and delicate asset, their hearing (Or what is ever left of it).

Custom fit means a fit that exactly matches the dimensions of the ear canal and no two ear canals are the same. Custom fit offer a perfect seal. This is the crucial point as standard run of the mill ER-20's just offer a one size fits all solution which simply is not sufficient. The result of custom fit is the best protection + crucially the best performance in terms of what the user hears during a gig. No more fluffy saturated low end. Its just like turning the volume down to a safe level and allows for a player to play at their best. I use ACS custom and with these you can choose the level of attenuation that meets your requirements. When I gig I am happy in the knowledge that I am doing all that is required to minimise the possibility of hearing damage. I have my hearing checked every year and since using custom fit the level of hearing loss I have experienced is negligable. Have a rockin Xmas

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1355913724' post='1904248']
FWIW I have bought and used ER20s and then bought moulded ear plugs - for me, there is absolutely no comparison.

I have very poor hearing and have to wear hearing aids in my daily life. I am trying to preserve what hearing I have left for as long as possible and don't consider the moulded plugs to be expensive - they are priceless!!
[/quote]

sorry to hear about your hearing loss, but I think when you suffer hearing loss It really focuses the mind on getting the best protection. Glad the moulded plugs are working a treat and allowing you to continue to perform.