Why become a member? ×

What brand are the Emperors new clothes ?

Black Coffee

The W issue is more than a myth:

Super expensive basses with horrible necks and all with the same tone (one that tires peoples ears after a while)
Strings dead right out of the box
Cables and plugs that are weak and break too often
Racks that fall appart in a short period
Bags that tear off too easily and there's not a single W bag zipper in the world that functions correctly or is still intact
Expensive amps/cabs with a muddy sound

I speak from experience, having owned and tried several W gear. There are only two pieces of gear that i can't flaw, a Streamer Stage II and a Starbass, both belonging to friends of mine, great pieces of kit and an incredible sound. Except for those two i can't justify the price tag in any of the others i know. I believe that if a company want to price themselves in the big boys league they MUST have a QC and a product range that follows. For the same price there's A LOT of great and more consistent quality gear on the market.

I'm sorry if i hurt somebody's feelings but i think this is the point of this thread, to figure out wich gear is not worthy of the price tag!
Cheers

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1355999441' post='1905409']
I believe that if a company want to price themselves in the big boys league they MUST have a QC and a product range that follows. For the same price there's A LOT of great and more consistent quality gear on the market.
[/quote]

I have to agree. Sorry to Warwick fans.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1355739254' post='1901909']
Also, you know if you double the thickness of your ASDL cable, you get double the broadband speed? Why pay for extra when you just can increase the thickness of the cable between your router and the wall socket.

[/quote]

We had trouble with our broadband not working very well (the router was plugged into a telephone extension upstairs) My boss suggested that there should be some spare cores in the cable and I should "double them up" I did and yeehah, much faster and a much more reliable connection.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1355739287' post='1901912']
I know a lot of rudimentary bassists and guitarists who spend stupid money on boutique instruments and amps (in the hope that spending money will make them sound better), when they'd be better off spending the money on a few lessons.
[/quote]

Partly guilty :) although my made for me bass will cost less than the US made Fenders, and I am having lessons...

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1356006406' post='1905543']
Partly guilty :) although my made for me bass will cost less than the US made Fenders, and I am having lessons...
[/quote]

Your ACG will help inspire you to greater things AND as you say, less than a mass produced and very basic US Fender :)

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]
[quote][/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]
gjones, on 17 December 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]

I know a lot of rudimentary bassists and guitarists who spend stupid money on boutique instruments and amps (in the hope that spending money will make them sound better), when they'd be better off spending the money on a few lessons.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Partly guilty [/font][/color] :)[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] although my made for me bass will cost less than the US made Fenders, and I am having lessons...[/quote][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Not sure I follow all this ... are you saying that my boutique equipment does NOT make me sound better?[/font][/color]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1356044405' post='1906292']
Having just spent half a day agonising over whether to buy one, 'stunning' is right. :unsure:
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I think Sheldon is not only a skilled luthier/instrument designer/etc, but he is also an artist with some of those designs. But, I don't have any need for the fanned fret system, as much as I realise it may have benefits.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356085345' post='1906539']
I am bored of reissues too, mostly reissues of basses that haven't changed in 50 years anyway?
[/quote]

You have an issue about re-issues?

I hope you don't start to like them and then decide you don't like them later on again because then you'd have a re-issue about re-issues