Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

status necks

mushers

The fingerboard is phenolic, it is a kind of plastic but it feels no different to a lacquered maple fingerboard. The newer ones look like they've got a subtle grain, but you have to look really closely.
I've never had a problem with the neck feeling sticky, you can order the neck with a satin finish if you prefer but it may cost a little more.
Never tried a Status neck on a Ray, generally graphite necks give you a bit more bite to the sound and more even note response over the neck. Maybe a bit more sustain too, also harmonics will really jump out.
The hardest bit is drilling the holes, you may prefer to get an experienced luthier or Basschatter do it for you.

I have fretted and fretless Status necks on 80's 'ray and Sabre respectively. Both necks are outstanding in every respect to the point that I cannot fault either (apart from the Status logo on the headstock which I hate). In three words, tone, playability, and stability, each of which are especially pronounced on the fretless. I would love a Status neck on my DB!

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1355508215' post='1899486']
I once bought a Status neck for a Jazz. I got Jon Shuker to fit it for me. Lot more snappier sound also very even sound across the neck ans sustained for ever.

If you get one get Status to fit it for you or a very good luthier
[/quote]

I think I now own that Bass.

I recently got a bass in a trade. Fender Deluxe P body with a Status neck, I call it my Fender Stat.
The neck is an absolute revelation frankly.
As others have said, improved stability, sustain, harmonics, even- ness and a complete joy to play.
My US Precision and Lakland DJ4 have been my back up basses but I don't think they will ever get the chance to gig anymore since this arrived.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1355561349' post='1899864']
Just a quick one, but when do you ever really touch the fretboard?
[/quote]

Well, if you must know, it's when we are all alone with the lights down and Barry White is playing quietly in the background ......

How does the weight of a graphite neck compare to a wooden one - say, maple with maple fretboard? I am concerned, possibly unjustly, that a graphite neck might make a lightweight bass neck heavy. If not, well, it is tempting... :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1355570031' post='1899999']
How does the weight of a graphite neck compare to a wooden one - say, maple with maple fretboard? I am concerned, possibly unjustly, that a graphite neck might make a lightweight bass neck heavy. If not, well, it is tempting... :)
[/quote]

My Status Classic hollowbody was a bit neck heavy, not much, and it was ok on a strap.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1355570031' post='1899999']
How does the weight of a graphite neck compare to a wooden one
[/quote]

I seem to remember OBBM saying in a previous thread that it's a little heavier then a standard neck.

all of the above plus...... from your questions would i be correct in guessing you have not played on status necks?

if so you might want to try one out before taking the plunge - they are mechanically and sonically extremely responsive (and without wishing to sound like im casting judgement on your playing skill and technique please dont take this the wrong way) they can be very unforgiving/illuminating!! :ph34r:

edit - to specifically answer the OP :D
[quote name='mushers' timestamp='1355506890' post='1899458']
the fretboard looks plastic is it ? does it feel ok to play on ?
does the back of the neck get sticky ?
and what difference in the sound ?
and are they easy to fit ?
[/quote]
phenolic - imagine hard lacquered ebony - mine had not so much a grain effect more a mottled colouration which was quite pleasing to the eye - beautiful feel to play - the back of the neck is very hard gloss finish - think harder than a superhard maple neck with ultra hard lacquer
no - only your hands might get sticky :o
bright with extra added brightness - very consistent powerful tones and no dead spots
yes very easy - just send it over to the status factory :lol:

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1355571376' post='1900020']
I seem to remember OBBM saying in a previous thread that it's a little heavier then a standard neck.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure now because it weighs 9lb 4oz which is lighter than my Sterling, plus it has two batteries, one for the pre-amp and one for the side LEDs. Anyone got the weight of a stock single pick-up SR5 as a comparison?

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1355574630' post='1900071']
I'm not so sure now because it weighs 9lb 4oz which is lighter than my Sterling, plus it has two batteries, one for the pre-amp and one for the side LEDs. Anyone got the weight of a stock single pick-up SR5 as a comparison?
[/quote]

Single pickup EBMM SR5 usually in the region of 10 pounds , sometimes up to half a pound lighter or up to a pound heavier . Any SR5 under 9.5 pounds is exceptionally light and a keeper !

Edited by Dingus

Just to reiterate what some other folks have said , Status' workmanship is absolutely first class , and the fretwork ect . on these necks will be as good as it gets . I played one of the EBMM NAMM basses with a Status graphite neck in a shop and it was so punchy and had so much clarity that it really was something special if you are a Stingray lover . Get a good used EBMM Stingray and have Status fit one of these necks and you have got a bass that will perform like a £2500 + boutique instrument in terms of sound and playability . I wish Status would make a graphite neck for the Bongo . A Bongo with a graphite neck would be lethal .