Why become a member? ×

Basschat Competition Bass (13 Guitar Co.) - CONCLUSION!

Skol303

I take my eye of this thread for a week and look what happens :lol:

[i]Ignoble bollocks takes liberties![/i]

On a more topical note, the woods are arriving soon (possibly this week) so the build will shortly be underway in earnest. Exciting! I've opted for a string spacing of 18cm on the board - fairly close as I play fingerstyle and that spacing seems to suit me well (I've had fun noodling in shops to test this out). Pre-amp and other electronics yet to be confirmed, but currently I'm leaning towards an ACG pre-amp or similar.

More soon :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1362694929' post='2003641']Nice :-D Did you mean 18mm string spacing at the bridge?[/quote]

Yeah, that's the one! Millimeters, centimeters...same difference, right?

You'd never guess that precision measurements are a key part of my day job :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1364344182' post='2025327']Any news on the build, I am eagerly awaiting pics [/quote]
[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1364388403' post='2025733']Yup ..lets see some sawdust [/quote]

Sorry folks, it's been a few weeks since I've updated this thread! I've been doing loads of homework in researching pickups and pre-amps since last posting here (way too much! :blink:). It's also been crazily busy at work; hence the delay since my last update.

In discussion with Paul at 13 Guitar Co I'm very happy to have settled on Nordstrand pickups and pre-amp. Specifically a [url="http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass-pickups/modern/"]Music Man-style p'up[/url] at the bridge, a [url="http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass-pickups/traditional/"]J-style[/url] at the neck and a [url="http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/preamp/"]Nordy pre-amp[/url] featuring volume/ blend/ bass/ mid/ tone (no treble).

Nordstrand make great gear and this set up is ideal for the low, warm tone I'm looking for.

We've also decided on a [url="http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=121"]Hiphot A-style bridge[/url] and tuners, and a bone nut (I did consider brass but I think bone is again better for this particular build).

The build will be starting soon, so watch this space for photos of sawdust and other cool things as it develops...! :D

Edited by Skol303

Sounds good. I have also gone with Nordstrand pickups for my build after careful research - I just can't seem to find pickups which seem to be better at the moment. Hipshot A bridges are the business too; I have also gone for them as the one on my J5 is so smashing.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1364429762' post='2026552']Sounds good. I have also gone with Nordstrand pickups for my build after careful research - I just can't seem to find pickups which seem to be better at the moment. Hipshot A bridges are the business too; I have also gone for them as the one on my J5 is so smashing.[/quote]

Thanks for the comments JB! Yeah, Nordstrand seem to make great pickups and pre-amps. Paul (13 Guitar Co) had good things to say about them and from what I've heard on YouTube and read in reviews they sound ideal for this project - especially their MM range.

Good to hear positive things about the Hipshot A-bridge too... it came out as being the favourite from my research. They look great and seem very practical and easy to use. I'm opting for the black finish on this build to match the dark mahogany body.

I'll post more info on the build once the sawdust starts to fly... ;)

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1365353788' post='2038427']Oh that is pretty Skol, shame to put frets in it....[/quote]

I hear you mate. I did ponder over whether this build should be a fretless, but when push comes to shove I just prefer a fretted 'board for the majority of my playing (I do already own a fretless - a 'DIY' job I did myself!).

Still, 'tis a beautiful piece of wood :) More pics to come once the other materials arrive.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1365445277' post='2039764']Are the new pics here yet? Are the new pics here yet? Are the new pics here yet? Are the new pics here yet? :)[/quote]

Hehe, cheers Paul! This is all good coaching for future road trips with our 2 year-old :lol: I'll bribe you with an ice-cream until more pics become available...

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1365949936' post='2046336']
Yay ice cream!

Are the new pics here yet? Are the new... :)
[/quote]

More pics as soon as I hear from Paul at 13 Guitar (not rushing him as he's being very generous).

In the meantime: I'm calling social services and putting you up for adoption!! :lol: :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1365512854' post='2040508']
Hehe, cheers Paul! This is all good coaching for future road trips with our 2 year-old :lol: I'll bribe you with an ice-cream until more pics become available...
[/quote]

Aw, but I want ice cream too. I WANT ICE CREAM! *stomps feet* :(

And pictures, I want pictures too! :D