Why become a member? ×

Basschat Competition Bass (13 Guitar Co.) - CONCLUSION!

Skol303

• 1 month later...

[color=#b22222][size=6][b]New bass day![/b][/size][/color]

As you all know the original build project met a painful end, but Paul has been very kind in offering up another bass he had already built. This weekend I met up with him to collect it. And here it is...

It looks crazy. It plays superbly. It sounds [i]immense.[/i] I'm very happy! :)

The bass is an early prototype of Paul's that has been fitted with the pre-amp from the original build project (which I got to see - sadly broken, but it looked fantastic!). The specifications of the bass are as follows:[list]
[*]4 string singlecut
[*]34" scale / 24 fret
[*]Body: Cuban mahogany with a wenge top
[*]Neck: maple, American black walnut and purpleheart
[*]Fingerboard: purpleheart
[*]Nordstrand 3b pre-amp
[*]Nordstrand Dual Coil humbucking pickups (x2)
[*]Hipshot A-Style bridge and tuners
[/list]

[b]Here's a quick demo of how it sounds.[/b] Nothing special - just something I recorded to give you all a quick listen. This is with the bass set to passive mode and an even balance between the pickups, played finger style. There's no post-production other than some gentle compression. So you're basically hearing the 'raw' instrument:

[url="http://soundcloud.com/skol-mixes/13-guitar-co-bass"]http://soundcloud.co...-guitar-co-bass[/url]

...it really growls when the pre-amp is activated! ;) I'll try to record another sample of it this evening, or failing that, I'll be aiming to use it as part of this month's Composition Challenge.

A [size=6]HUGE THANKS[/size] to Paul for his generosity and being an all-round nice chap.

Cheers :drinks:

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1404668976' post='2494595']
[color=#b22222][size=6][b]New bass day!...[/b][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Excellent news (except, perhaps, for those hoping to have a chance in this month's Challenge..! :rolleyes: ). Looking forward to hearing other sound files; that first 'teaser' is splendid enough tp want more... B)

Well done, Paul, both of you. :lol:

^ Cheers guys!

It's a very positive outcome and thanks again to Paul at 13 Guitar Co for coming up with an excellent 'Plan B' to the original build.

It has pretty much the same electronics and materials as the original 5 string, so the tone is very much what I had in mind.

The Nordstrand pre-amp is a beast! It has a really nice saturation when dialed up, so it's possible to get a wide range of tones out of it - even an almost 'tube-like' distortion when fully cranked.

Plenty of fun to be had :)

…now newly cleaned, oiled and strung thru the body with DR Neon strings [i](I couldn’t resist the day-glo orange)[/i] :D

I’ve also been recording some more noodlings on it this evening, messing around with the pre-amp. The sample below contains three quick’n’dirty clips, all recorded DI’d - just straight out of the bass with no F-ing around:[list]
[*]The first clip is ‘lean and skinny’: tone on full - bridge pickup - mids dialled up about half way.
[*]The second is ‘full fat’: tone rolled off - neck pickup - bass boosted.
[*]The third is ‘fair to middling’: tone on full - both/even pickups - both mids and bass dialled up a little.
[/list]

[url="http://soundcloud.com/skol-mixes/more-13-guitar-co-bass"][size=5][b]CLICK TO LISTEN[/b][/size][/url]

And yes. I am happy :)