Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Basschat Competition Bass (13 Guitar Co.) - CONCLUSION!

Skol303

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1384815641' post='2281199']Looks really nice![/quote]

Thanks Steve! :) Credit to Paul for the design, of course. I love it... very distinctive and original. I had a quick noodle on the bass it's modelled on (the original black 5'er - there's photos of it on his website) and it played really well. Great balance and nice easy reach of those upper frets.

I'll keep y'all updated as it gets finished.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1385037921' post='2283660']why's it got those 'speed bumps' on the fingerboard? ;)

Seriously though, that's a lovely looking instrument.[/quote]

Cheers Paul! Yeah I know, I know... you're not the first to suggest I should have left it fretless :P The fretboard on this one is a fantastic piece of wood (Makassar ebony), but I wanted this bass to have the 'bite' that comes from frets. Plus, I'm not brave enough for a blank, fretless fingerboard - however beautiful they look!

Glad you like the design. As mentioned before, I have Paul at 13 Guitar Co to thank for that. I think he's hit upon something very distinctive with this shape. It's his second bass of this type and I'm certain it won't be the last ;)

• 3 weeks later...

[b]Quick update![/b]

The routing is now completed and it's ready for sanding before the final stages of the build. I've discussed the finish with Paul and we're opting for a clear gloss with a subtle tobacco burst around the edges. I'll post more pics here when the time comes :) In the meantime here's a few shots of where it's up to...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1386531655' post='2301159']ooooh![/quote]
[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1391129240' post='2353724']Very nice job, it looks great, cant wait to hear the end result. [/quote]

Cheers guys! Nearly there now... :)

[b]QUICK UPDATE:[/b] the bass is going in for a spray job at the end of this week or early next (a subtle tobacco burst around the edges), so I'll be posting up some fresh photos in due course.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1391614608' post='2359246']
Cheers guys! Nearly there now... :)

[b]QUICK UPDATE:[/b] the bass is going in for a spray job at the end of this week or early next (a subtle tobacco burst around the edges), so I'll be posting up some fresh photos in due course.
[/quote]

I can't wait to see it all painted up nice like, Mista! :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391616709' post='2359279']I can't wait to see it all painted up nice like, Mista![/quote]

Cheers Milty! Yeah, it's going to look something special once it's done :) The woods on their own are great, but a gentle tobacco burst should give it a cool 'lift' and finish the job nicely.

I'll post some pics in due course...

Edited by Skol303

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1396190898' post='2410756']
How goes the build?
[/quote]

I'm told it's very nearly finished...! Although I do feel like a kid on the back seat of a car: "Are we there yet??" :D

As soon as it's done I'll put up a bunch of pics and sound clips.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='AL-the-Bassman' timestamp='1396359495' post='2412655']
thats going to be a funky looking Bass,
does it have an extended range fretboard?

when are 13 guitar Co going to sponsor the next comp ?????
[/quote]

Thanks Al. Yeah it's an extended range fretboard.

Not sure whether Paul at 13 Guitar Co is planning another competition prize... It was a generous offer by him first time round. And for purely selfish reasons I'd like to him to finish this one before thinking about another :D

• 4 weeks later...

[size=5]Friends, some sad news about this project[/size] :(

I'll let Paul explain in his own words...

[i]"Disaster mate. Let me tell you what happened. I had the bass built and the base coat of the finish done. I had a few repairs to do so left the bass in the shop over the weekend. Monday came and I entered the workshop to find that my shelves had fallen onto the bass and cracked the neck! So I had to remove the fretboard replace the truss rods and re finish the neck. The problem was that by this time the neck was dangerously thin. I finished the bass but when I come to set up the bass one of the truss rods started to poke out of the back of the neck, as in, through the finish! So the bass is a write off unfortunately, as it’s a neck through there’s no way to fix it really the neck is just too thin now. I don’t know what to say really, I’m just gutted."[/i]

Paul has very kindly offered to put the electronics that were planned for this build into a 4-string he has available and offer me that instead, which is super nice of him.

I'll post details of the 4-string replacement as soon as I have it. Assuming his workshop doesn't explode, catch fire or get demolished by Godzilla in the meantime (sorry Paul, I shouldn't tempt fate!).

In the meantime, R.I.P 5-string beast. Gone but not forgotten.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1399555160' post='2445262']
[size=4]Friends, some sad news about this project :(...[/size]
[/quote]

I'm not a fatalist really, but I've learned over time that some things are just not meant to be, it would seem. If there was any karma in this world, they'd be a damned good reason for this change of plan, but I doubt that. It's simply yet another case of Sod's Law. Sad, certainly, but wait until the finished bass that you actually get is in your hands and I'm sure things will look better.
On the other hand (and this applies to both of you...), if one subscribes to the notion that the wheel turns, and luck goes in cycles, it's about now that one or other (or both...) should invest in a lottery ticket. Your luck can only be on the up-turn now, surely..? Sad news indeed... :(

Cheers for the words of condolence, Doug. Appreciated!

It's a crying shame but can't be helped. Acts of god, as they say. And shoddy shelving ;)

I'm waiting to hear back from Paul about his offer of fitting the electrics from this build into a 4-string he has available, which sounds like a very worthy 'Plan B'. I'll post an update here once there's news on that.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1399643507' post='2446241']
:o

That's horrible, very good of paul to offer the 4 string
[/quote]

I know mate! So near... yet so far.

Can't be helped and obviously not Paul's fault. Very good of him to offer an alternative, as you say. I'm really keen to own one of his basses... I'll keep y'all updated once I hear from him.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1399656889' post='2446444']
Sad news, you and Paul must be well gutted! Really decent of the chap to offer the plan B though. Hope it all goes well and that good karma pays off for him.
[/quote]

Indeed! It's a lovely offer from Paul and just a shame that the original build got trashed in the way it did.

I'll keep y'all updated on the 4-string...

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1401751639' post='246659s8']
Gutted for you and Paul mate, he must be pissed but what a sh.tty luck for you. At least he is going to salvage some of the original for you, cant believe this happened :(
[/quote]

I know! It's hard to believe, innit. S**t happens, I suppose. Whoever put those shelves up needs a stern talking to ;)

I'm waiting to hear back from Paul about the 4-string, so we'll see what happens. I'll keep y'all updated in this thread.