Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Basschat Competition Bass (13 Guitar Co.) - CONCLUSION!

Skol303

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1371893043' post='2119172']

Shhh! He's kind of insecure about it :D
[/quote]

:D It's all about the girth!! Mr Foreman, sir.

Cheers for the comments guys. Great to see it taking shape. I'll keep y'all updated as stuff happens...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1371894187' post='2119204']
:D It's all about the girth!! Mr Foreman, sir.

Cheers for the comments guys. Great to see it taking shape. I'll keep y'all updated as stuff happens...
[/quote]

Great! and Silvia has just shared this thread on the BassChat Twitter page! (Hello, any of you folks from Twitter :D)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1372085605' post='2121366']
^ Aye! Silvia is great at plugging stuff on Twitter. She's does a fine job of it :)

Worth bearing in mind if anyone has any gigs, releases, etc, they'd like promoting...
[/quote]

Very true! I nearly always click the link through, and I spend practically all of my browsing time with BassChat open! She obviously searches the forums more thoroughly than I do :D

More pics! Paul has now planed, glued and re-planed the neck, as well as the body. Pickups have been ordered - hardware and truss rods to follow.

The next step is to cut the headstock, do the various routing, affix the fretboard and other shiz... I'll keep y'all updated as it happens. Very exciting :)

^ It's a beauty! :gas:

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1373042535' post='2133175']
More pics! Paul has now planed, glued and re-planed the neck, as well as the body. Pickups have been ordered - hardware and truss rods to follow.

The next step is to cut the headstock, do the various routing, affix the fretboard and other shiz... I'll keep y'all updated as it happens. Very exciting :)

^ It's a beauty! :gas:
[/quote]

Fantastic grain on the wenge there!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373046819' post='2133251']Fantastic grain on the wenge there![/quote]

Aye! Paul's done a great job in picking the woods. Very good quality materials and some really interesting grains. The fretboard is particularly beautiful.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1373277739' post='2135493']
Aye! Paul's done a great job in picking the woods. Very good quality materials and some really interesting grains. The fretboard is particularly beautiful.
[/quote]

I've just cut the headstock angle, gonna plane the edges for gluing this afternnoon. Thinknig about it, where not too far off now! I'll send you a e-mail at the end off the week with some pic's Paul.
It's taking shape now :-D

[quote name='paulflan0151' timestamp='1373290773' post='2135704']Thanks :-)

I've just cut the headstock angle, gonna plane the edges for gluing this afternnoon. Thinknig about it, where not too far off now! I'll send you a e-mail at the end off the week with some pic's Paul.
It's taking shape now :-D[/quote]

No need to thank me Paul, [i]I'm[/i] the one who should be doing all the thanking!

It's really taking shape now as you say... and the woods look stunning, even better than I'd imagined.

Very exciting!! It's going to be a thing of beauty... with a beastly tone ;)

He's also routed the channels for the truss rods and carbon fiber rod and glued them in.

Next steps are to glue the fretboard on; then cut out out neck-thru section; add the frets; make the sides/wings; cut the headstock out; shape the neck and wings; glue the wings on; route the pickups... and other stuff!

As always, a massive thanks to Paul at 13 Guitar Co. I'm learning lots watching this build take shape.

Stay tuned... :)

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374243148' post='2146828']
=just read through whole topic its nice! excites me i'm very interested in building basses - I have 0 experience at it or working with wood though =[ would love to try and get involved some how
=[/quote]

Cheers James! It's giving me the bug too. Very interesting to see each stage of the build taking shape. I tinker around fixing up basses/guitars at home, but nothing on this sort of skill level (most I've managed is a de-fret and re-spray!). All credit to Paul at 13 Guitar Co... he knows his onions. And more importantly, his basses :D

[b]PS: mini update... the fretboard has now been glued.[/b]

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374770665' post='2153058']what wood is that fret board again? its hot![/quote]

Makassar ebony. Beautiful innit?! :) I love the lighter streaks that run the length of it.

The neck and body are a mix of mahogany and wenge.